Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Wow ! ! not a single post here .

Well, has anyone dissected their Nokia 770 ?

Any idea of what the ICs are like ?

Identified the ICs ?

Pictures ? Post it here ?

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-04-03 at 21:09.

follow the link for download:
http://www.4shared.com/file/12240720...schematic.html
I posted all electrical schemes and PB layouts
If you have some questions please ask maybe i can help

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
And if you want to know how to dissect your 770, follow these instructions...

I tried the link to the schematic and it is not working, file not found on server. Anyone else have a link to the schematic?

Thank-you for the disassembly instructions, that link still works. Very handy when taking apart plastic products without breaking the locking tabs off!

My 770 just got the "WSOD" after charging over night. Tapped the screen in the morning and a white screen with a few vertical color bars appeared. The touch screen and OS seemed to be still operational. It is like the display row addressing is dead while the columns still seem to fire.

Has anyone determined the chip(s) that have failed and the actual cause yet? It sounds like it may be a power supply sequencing problem. Some dual voltage parts do not like power rails to come up out of order or damage may result. If it is not packed with BGA parts, then perhaps we can fix it outselves and fix the cause as well. I really like the product (warts and all), but would like to get 5 years out of it, not just a meager 5 months!

Have any other engineers disected this thing yet to see what actually failed and why?

Is Nokia fixing the root cause or just the end result still? It looks like the N800 doesn't have this same malody, makes me wonder if they are sharing any of the same power supply and display hardware...

-Bill-

Well, Nokia Repair center (Chanhassen MN) replaced the display in just 5 days and got it back to me in good shape. Sure would like to know how to prevent this from happening again. I had a good repair experiance, but would rather not have a repeat!

Still no working schematics link? -Bill-