Posted here because what he said sounded so relevant to the fate of the dear "old" 770... Do I detect a hint of hypocrisy in the air?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
You probably smell corporate stocks. They smell like a lot of things.

*edit

Woah woah woah. Are you talking about the 04/10/2007 entry entitled "The Linux Foundation". Isn't he singling out other companies for doing things that Nokia has taken the helm on in regards to the internet tablets?

What scares me is the post immediately below it. "You come up with ideas, we'll put your picture in a magazine." Exqueese me, what?! Is the think tank at Nokia that stale? I'm not buying this whole happy family I supposedly get indoctrinated into when I buy a tablet (much less being kicked out of it when the tablet gets to be out of date). At least if I buy a Saturn automobile I can go see a drive-in movie with a bunch of other car owners. I'm glad Nokia doesn't make cars, otherwise I'd probably end up at a fun 'mine iron for car chassis' weekend. I have an idea that will 'impact peoples lives'. Release enough source that someone can recompile the OS on their own.

I don't think that's the smell of stocks in the air. Yikes.

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2007-04-12 at 13:06.

Yes, I was referring to the 10th April post
IMHO releasing the sources is the only way forward... or at least the only way that will (partially or totally) redeem Nokia from their insane handling of the 770 situation. Just my 2c...

*edit*
My "hypocrisy" point was in reference to the fact that, well, looking at the situation as objectively as I possibly can at the moment, I cannot agree that Nokia are supporting the Open Source movement in the true spirit of open source. IMO they used the open source excuse to rope in some of the more talented devlopers, in order to get the IT platform off the ground. As someone said in reply to one of Dr Jaaksi's blogs, Nokia just keep shooting themselves in the foot over this issue: they are releasing sub-standard software (which annoys part of the target market, the people who like "closed" devices) and expect the open source developers to fill in the gaps (something which annoys the same part of the target market--the people who are pretty much against "open" devices) without giving developers the freedom to "take over" the device, thus irritating what is possibly the device's most hardcore fan base, the open source advocates. And then expecting everyone to believe that it is not possible to build OS2007 (officially) for the 770, because that hardware is too old. Truly the Open Source spirit indeed. Try saying that to my Pentium 133 (!) Linux box running one of the latest kernels. Way to go Nokia.

Last edited by convulted; 2007-04-12 at 17:11.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I'm trying not to be cynical, as hard as avoiding that has become. Isn't it at least possible that the post represents the result of listening to feedback?

One thing working with the Finns has taught me: theirs is a unique communication style. A lot of nuance is ommitted, and very little if any political correctness is incorporated. That and other aspects make the message very dry... and often misleading.

Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Texrat, good point about cultural differences in communication styles. Well worth keeping in mind when we try to read between the lines.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
As posted in the maemo newsgroup, the 770 support issue has made it to this weeks LWN. Some valid points are raised including Ari's infamous "Nokia supports it fully" comment.

Let's hope there will be more discussion of Nokias behaviour in the wider Linux community where Nokia is clearly trying to build bridges - it can't have it all it's own way.

Originally Posted by jpj View Post
Texrat, good point about cultural differences in communication styles. Well worth keeping in mind when we try to read between the lines.
I learned not to read between the lines where the Finns are concerned. They tend to be more matter-of-fact than most peoples in my experience. Doesn't mean the points like Milhouse's are moot, though.

I suppose Nokia is a big enough company to be able to effectively ignore those like me who have a case of sour grapes because of the way the 770 was handled and the whole BOGOUSITY of the 'open source' maemo platform.

It is a simple thing for me. I will never buy another Nokia product as long as I live.

But like I said.. this shouldn't hurt them at all.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jpj View Post
Not quite sure about your opinion of us Finns as English is not my native language and your wording sometimes is too difficult for me to understand. In Ari´s blog I told Ari to tell me straight, both being Finnish guys, whether they are going to make any more upgrades to OS 2006. well, he did not answer anything.
The kind of behaviour of telling the truth without any beating about the bush in order to win some time, is more more like typical Finn. Come and see it here, in Finland

You're right, mrp. And I hope you took no offense at any of my comments. I truly respect the typical Finnish work ethic and honesty. Very refreshing.