'Allo mates!
Oh, wait. Phoney cockney accent day was yesterday... Enough of that.
I'll return to my Coloradan lack-of-accent now.

Yarrr!
NO! Get back Cap'n Crunch! BACK!

Anyway.... I've been filled with gadget-lust for the 770 for almost a year now, and I've finally bought one. Actually, I've finally found a good enough excuse to buy one.

This coming summer I'll be working at a summer camp, but I'll need to keep in touch with my friends. I would bring my PowerBook.... But it's at a summer camp. A bunch of screaming kids and a high value laptop do not mix well.

I'm pretty confident in the purchase, as from everything I've read, the 770 is a fairly rugged device (at least moreso than a PowerBook). However, I do have some questions.

1) Will using it for 2-3 months without ever syncing it to a regular computer cause problems?
2) How rugged is it, actually? I'm most concerned about dust and grime getting into the cracks. When it's not in use, it'll hide in my bag, but a fair amount of crap will still get in there.

I think that sums it up....

~Tabor

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by taborclayton View Post
'Allo mates!
Oh, wait. Phoney cockney accent day was yesterday... Enough of that.
I'll return to my Coloradan lack-of-accent now.

Yarrr!
NO! Get back Cap'n Crunch! BACK!

Anyway.... I've been filled with gadget-lust for the 770 for almost a year now, and I've finally bought one. Actually, I've finally found a good enough excuse to buy one.

This coming summer I'll be working at a summer camp, but I'll need to keep in touch with my friends. I would bring my PowerBook.... But it's at a summer camp. A bunch of screaming kids and a high value laptop do not mix well.

I'm pretty confident in the purchase, as from everything I've read, the 770 is a fairly rugged device (at least moreso than a PowerBook). However, I do have some questions.

1) Will using it for 2-3 months without ever syncing it to a regular computer cause problems?
2) How rugged is it, actually? I'm most concerned about dust and grime getting into the cracks. When it's not in use, it'll hide in my bag, but a fair amount of crap will still get in there.

~Tabor

Hey dude.

Good questions. I just got back from Kuwait with mine. It is a nice piece of kit (wee bit o' British for you as well). Make sure you have some sort of dust proof protection for it. I have the N800, but the N770 is similar enough. Get some screen protectors. I use the ones from Boxwave (www.boxwave.com) and fashioned a protective hard screen cover out of an old DVD case. I cut it to fit the screen and it protects it from hard knocks for the most part. You can of course get a hard case for it. All in all, I would suggest you get an extra battery as well.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers mate.

~Tabor
Good choice. I personally would be afraid that the n800 would not survive the summer.

1. The 770 doesn't really "sync" with a computer like a PDA. Yes, it can be plugged into the USB port, but all that does is let the PC copy data to and from the RS-MMC card in the 770. Also, anything you install on the 770 is put in flash, not RAM. You don't have to worry about a software reset (Hardware death is another matter). If you are really concerned about data loss, take the USB cable with you. Plug the 770 into any computer available. Device drivers are completely unnecessary.

2. You should be okay so long as you use the cover and little bag that comes with the 770. And of course follow the usual rules about liquids, etc.

Originally Posted by nate the great View Post
Good choice. I personally would be afraid that the n800 would not survive the summer.

1. The 770 doesn't really "sync" with a computer like a PDA. Yes, it can be plugged into the USB port, but all that does is let the PC copy data to and from the RS-MMC card in the 770. Also, anything you install on the 770 is put in flash, not RAM. You don't have to worry about a software reset (Hardware death is another matter). If you are really concerned about data loss, take the USB cable with you. Plug the 770 into any computer available. Device drivers are completely unnecessary.

2. You should be okay so long as you use the cover and little bag that comes with the 770. And of course follow the usual rules about liquids, etc.

Hey nate,

I hear your concerns but the N800 survived quite well in Kuwait. If you see my avatar, you will see that I am not located in the city but out a bit. If you have Google Earth, look up Arifjan and it should give you an idea where I was using the N800. The main thing is the screen. If you get a good protector and apply it properly, you should be okay. I do also use canned air to gently clean and de-dust my N800. All in all it is in good shape.

Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post
Hey nate,

I hear your concerns but the N800 survived quite well in Kuwait.
I didn't see your post until after I did mine. Anyway, I do think the 770 is sturdier.

Originally Posted by nate the great View Post
I didn't see your post until after I did mine. Anyway, I do think the 770 is sturdier.
You might be right. I have actually never held one so I could not say. However, if the N800 can survive, then hopefully an N770 should be okay. Are you using a protective screen for yours?

Could someone who has owned both say how they compare?
The 770 is boxier, and if they use the same plastic, it's shape will make it inherently stronger.

Could someone who has owned both say how they compare?
The 770 is boxier, and if they use the same plastic, it's shape will make it inherently stronger.
I have both (not by choice btw.. the 770 went WSOD on me). The 800 is pretty sturdy as well, the only difference is the screen is exposed. It's a touch sensitive screen so scratches aside, I wouldn't press it against other hard objects. With the 770 when the cover is on, I can throw it in a bag and not having to worry about damaging the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to cw3 For This Useful Post:
Woot! I have my 770, and I'm quite confident in its abilities to do what I want.
Thanks for the tips!