Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is multi-touch a hardware thing, or can it be done with the IT touchscreen and the right software?
It's a hardware issue. Traditional touchscreens use conductive wires running in a grid, so two touch points will look like a single touch point halfway between them.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I think Nokia instead of implementing multi touch should focus on what their screens do uniquely - pressure sensitivity. Maybe onscreen buttons that scroll faster the harder you press them or maybe for zooming.

Multi touch is not the end all be all of touch screen technology. The iPhone just found a novel use of it.

Last edited by theflew; 2008-02-29 at 01:27.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I think Nokia instead of implementing multi touch should focus on what their screens do uniquely - pressure sensitivity. Maybe screen bottoms that scroll faster the harder you press them or maybe for zooming.

Multi touch is not the end all be all of touch screen technology. The iPhone just found a novel use of it.
This would be a great idea, if there weren't such a minute difference between min and max pressure.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Is multi-touch a hardware thing, or can it be done with the IT touchscreen and the right software?
You could do a poor-man's multitouch by observing the jump in position when the second finger touches. Different gestures would work that way...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Multi touch is not the end all be all of touch screen technology.
No, but it does open up user interface possibilities. Think about desktop GUIs. Given an object on screen and a single button mouse, your vocabulary for interacting with that object is limited to: single click, multiple (double, triple) clicks, and drags. You can add gestures if you're really adventurous.

Adding a second mouse button instantly doubles your vocabulary, plus a little more if you're up to getting down with both buttons at once. More buttons increase the interaction possiblities further, though eventually you'll wind up with a keyboard, just one with a nifty light on the bottom. The returns diminish to nothing long before then anyhow.

Right now, the Internet tablets are pretty much at the one button mouse level of interaction. There's some pressure data, but it's of such a small range, and so unreliable, that it's not even used to determine what keyboard pops up anymore.

So we're where Mac users used to be. Where Mac users used to be made fun of for being. Heck, with double-taps being awkward and unreliable, we may not be even that far. Shh, don't tell!

Multitouch would certainly expand the vocabulary of the tablet UI. So would having a powered stylus that charges in its silo and sports one or two buttons on its side, but those are a pain.

In any case, I'd welcome something beyond tap and drag on the tablets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
No, but it does open up user interface possibilities. Think about desktop GUIs. Given an object on screen and a single button mouse, your vocabulary for interacting with that object is limited to: single click, multiple (double, triple) clicks, and drags. You can add gestures if you're really adventurous.
In fairness, there's long-holds too, which are rendered nigh-impossible when walking (they turn into drags).
Adding a second mouse button instantly doubles your vocabulary, plus a little more if you're up to getting down with both buttons at once. More buttons increase the interaction possiblities further, though eventually you'll wind up with a keyboard, just one with a nifty light on the bottom. The returns diminish to nothing long before then anyhow.

Right now, the Internet tablets are pretty much at the one button mouse level of interaction. There's some pressure data, but it's of such a small range, and so unreliable, that it's not even used to determine what keyboard pops up anymore.
Actually, it still is. It's not used for which menu...
So we're where Mac users used to be. Where Mac users used to be made fun of for being. Heck, with double-taps being awkward and unreliable, we may not be even that far. Shh, don't tell!
Yeah, in my recent work with USB mice, it occurred to me that I should get an iMac mouse. Of course, I'd throw up whenever I looked at it, but most apps (other than remote access) only care for one button.
Multitouch would certainly expand the vocabulary of the tablet UI. So would having a powered stylus that charges in its silo and sports one or two buttons on its side, but those are a pain.
You know, I think I'd love one of those, really. But it would be bigger and thicker, and I'm the only one really happy about turning the N800 into a brick... But multi-touch would be dandy indeed. And cool for PyAno...

It would be AWESOME for PyAno.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I'm nothing like a Best Buy fan, but in their defense Nokia's own web site lumps the Internet tablets in with phones too.
An update on this... nokiausa site STILL says "phones" for all devices, but has anyone seen what nseries.com says these days?

http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=home

http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,gateway

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: