Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
I'm quoting this again, as people didn't seem to get it the first time around (the software wish-list section is still being expanded):

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Also, keep things on-topic. This is not the place to ask for whizzy new hardware, including masses amount of internal storage.

Similarly, don't ask for end-user applications - unless there's a good reason why it needs to be tied into the underlying OS (e.g. contact integration as part of a PIM suite).
Quotes from Quim Gil:
Hi, just a comment: anything inside maemo.org-the-webiste fits inside the range of things that the community, the maemo.org team and myself as Nokia contact can push forward without much discussion and interference if we all agree on the appropriatness and feasibility.

Anything related to software in the platform itself (as opposed to the server infrastructure), has many other stakeholders and dependencies and therefore fall out of the scope of the maemo.org planning exercise. If you want to compile these ideas and proposals fine, but it would be really useful to keep in this page the scope on purely maemo.org, its content, processes, servers, tools... and the people collaborating around it.

More or less the same principle applies to the 2010 Agenda but in that case the discussion is more strategy and some software platform related topics might be more on topic
End-user software wishlist is really out of scope here, for the reasons explained in the 100 Days discussion page. Even asking for specific developer toos that are not web server based are not very in the scope of this maemo.org exercise.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-30 at 16:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by AbelMN View Post
I guess nothing is next:
Again maemo.org - the wiki pages - are not available, a typical example of Maemo's good functioning!
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Site works for me *shrug*
Well, FWIW, I too was under the impression that maemo.org was down since yesterday.

That is because my bookmark points to planet.maemo.org, and that name is not resolving ATM. I had to retype the root URL to see the revamped site, which uses a path to the Planet.

It does feel much snappier though !

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
That is because my bookmark points to planet.maemo.org, and that name is not resolving ATM.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3203

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I do have to say one thing: I added an edit right after GA's comments about tablet-friendliness, and even though I saved, my edit was not there later. So there is certainly some funky stuff going on...

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I do have to say one thing: I added an edit right after GA's comments about tablet-friendliness, and even though I saved, my edit was not there later. So there is certainly some funky stuff going on...
Add it again. I've been editing a lot, and I've run into no troubles so far. It could've been a connection issue, or perhaps an edit collision.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Audio of my presentation available at http://www.archive.org/details/QuimG...xtag2008Update - thanks Niels!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Heh, i know I got a sneak preview

Thanks!

Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
I was wondering whether it would be well received something like the Ubuntu Open Week in the maemo community. I was thinking something simpler (or not?) to what they are doing.

It would be one week annually, in that the community was involved more actively than normally, doing the following tasks:
  • Reporting and triaging bugs (in applications, maemo.org, even in the 3rd party apps). Like now but it would be an intensive week of bugs searching.
  • Community talks in the IRC; talks about development, about questions more orientated to end-users, marketing (what we should do to advance in our aim of the world conquest) and so on.
  • Artwork, podcasts...; in the community there are people who can help without knowing anything about development/bugs/and other boring things.
  • Documentation; write how-tos, improve the existing documentation...
  • Translations (documents, 3rd party applications...); I am spanish and there are people who doesn't know english and finds little information about the tablets in spanish, and they would like to extract more profit to the tablet but when all the information is in english, they desist and end up by losing interest (believe me I have heard this to more than one person).

I will add this to the 2010 Agenda at the wiki when I learn something from the syntax, but if someone wants to sort these ideas, add something and put it into the wiki would be better

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
There's something similar in openSUSE:
http://idea.opensuse.org/

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
An update to my original blog post is now at:

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php...at_next_part_2

...I've created a poll, too giving people the option of directly stating whether they think it's a good idea or not.