Active Topics

OTOH, three weeks ago it had been common knowledge for quite a while, on this board and others, that the new model was just around the corner...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by idangazit View Post
Because I bought a 770 exactly 3 weeks ago, when nokia was making a full-on blitz of marketing for the 770 and it was christmastime. They treated me and every other consumer who went and bought the 770 like trash.

To add insult to injury, it doesn't sound like any new development will be happening for the 770 because they are deliberately breaking compatibility. Given that much of the life of the 770's application ecosystem was driven by hobbyists developing for the cool toys, I do not see hobbyists expending the extra hours to make their applications work for the obsolete platform as well as the new one with all of that horsepower they crave. 770 owners get to enjoy the fastest obsoletion in history.

At least, I can comfort myself with the knowledge that the N800 is ugly as mud.

-I
Another overreaction. I realize you're unhappy but your rant doesn't match the facts. Sorry you feel let down, though.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted by idangazit View Post
770 owners get to enjoy the fastest obsoletion in history.-I
No, I think that honor belongs to the 3com Audrey...

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Hilversum, Netherlands
I agree.
I like my 770 a lot for experiments and fun but for the following reasons I'll not soon buy a Nokia device again;
1. The Nokia support is terrible. I have my 770 for 7 months now and it was away for repair half of that time. Not ONE word from Nokia about that! There had to pass these 3 magical months before I got an new device? So after totally 3.5 months of fun I have an 'old' device as stated on meamo.org.
2. Adding to that the (again) broken software compatability. With all the cheap N800's for developers, which developer is maintaining his code for the 770? Buying off some backward compatibility-problems? How to break a growing comunity? Any professional developers betting on this?
3. The upgrade is too minimal and this is where Nokia will lose terrain quickly to more powerful game-devices, phones and umpc's.
4. I don't need another device with poor image-capture-quality, mediocre gps-software, a browser that fails on important services like google calendar (no PIM inside...) and so on. It looks like they just keep jamming half solutions in this package while the 770 should be helped to a mature device with full quality hard- and software...

Oh, forgot another gripe:

9. Won't charge via USB port.

Mobile Linux? Got That.
Pepper Pad 3, Nokia 770, GP2X, Motorola A780

Please visit http://linuxslate.com/ New! Discussion boards just started.

sorry guys mine is on way overnight shipping and all guess ill just suffer by myself please as im drowning in sorrow remember me i started with the 770 and up to the n800 :P

The reasons I won't buy the N800:

* Unproven - want to wait a while and see how stable IT2007 is.

* Hardware upgrade isn't quite high enough to justify the price whilst ditching the N770.

* No Nokia trade-in plan that I can see.

* No guarantee that IT2007 will still be actively supported in 2008 or 2009.

* No slidey-hard-case-thing. I used to use a large-screen LCD graph calculator which didn't have any screen protection, and used to crack the screen every few years. Don't want to do that with an Internet Tablet.

The ditching of N770 support annoys me - there's still too many bugs that need sorting out, and yet it's still "good enough" for what I use it for.

I might buy the N800's successor once I know Nokia's committed to legacy models. Linux is all about one-size-fits-all - I'm disappointed Nokia's development model doesn't accomodate multiple platforms.

Nick

I am quite content with the design of 770, black and all, and from the photos the 800 looks sortof cheap, like any chinese MP4 player. I guess it would be cool to watch youtube and the like directly, but as long as we do not know whether we can watch streamed video in a better fashion and all the other aforementioned critical questions I do not see the cruciall advantage of the new device - furthermore, Nokia is running a risk by luring normal consumers into buying this OS driven beta-device. Itīs pricier than an often subsidized Symbian smartphone and as many have pointed out it lacks the premier PIM functions of a Windows device, but consumers are then being left alone with the slowly advancing applications offering. I bought mine to goof around with while not paying for GPRS/UMTS charges PLUS having a nice screen&sound is nice too. Its great to surf a few pages lying in bed during nighttime or in a cafe with free wifi. And the streaming solutions look promising. No need to shelf it after only one year. I will sit this one out and will have a look at the n900 in 2008.

If they would offer a trade-in, I'd probably get one, but what I've seen so far does not justify spending another 400 €.
If I see one in store when I'm in Vegas in march though? Who knows. A few good rounds black jack and I might buy it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by jcords View Post
from the photos the 800 looks sortof cheap
As I've said here before: don't make any such assumptions based on those photos. They've misled a lot of people into thinking the real thing "looks sort of cheap". It doesn't.