Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Well... I don't want to install Easy Debian on top of Hildon and then xfce4 on top of Easy Debian.

I just want to replace Hildon with something which wouldn't have too much black color, transitions, blur, shadows, png decorations, etc.

And as any desktop environment for Fremantle has to be compiled, I think about matchbox-desktop: matchbox-window-manager already works on Fremantle.
Silver spoon much good sir?

What you will not find is a simple drop in .deb file. You want this, you're going to have to do a lot of the work on your own because 1990 is not calling out to any of us - nobody beyond an exceedingly small number of people want something so minimalistic.

If you don't want any gradients, patterns, or eyecandy, then just delete the transitions and uninstall all your themes, that way you'll be left with bog standard ugly GTK in all its light boring goodness.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
Silver spoon much good sir?

What you will not find is a simple drop in .deb file. You want this, you're going to have to do a lot of the work on your own because 1990 is not calling out to any of us - nobody beyond an exceedingly small number of people want something so minimalistic.
Yes, I understand. I'm ready to do a lot of work - I don't know how. I'm not desperate enough to try to install Minix dual-boot with Maemo :-/. I'm not ready to crash N900 yet.

And I have neither time nor knowledge for writing an operating system, based on Gecko (where all applications would be written on XML and HTML and JavaScript; no ELF's, no binaries; drivers would be handled in a manner similar to plug-ins in Firefox; and still, I would then like to simplify Gecko, to make it smaller and smaller).

Originally Posted by dchky View Post
If you don't want any gradients, patterns, or eyecandy, then just delete the transitions and uninstall all your themes, that way you'll be left with bog standard ugly GTK in all its light boring goodness.
How do you imagine that? Do you know a way to uninstall all GTK themes without losing key bindings? Besides, GTK will still remain a large complex object, looking around for themes and transitions. I would like something which cannot even think about transitions or themes.

I would like something with black-and-white interface. Maybe, even without multitasking. Just nothing fancy.

One example: right now Ovi Maps take a long time to load. Why? I suppose, having everything black-and-white, including maps, would speed them up a bit (and don't show this progress bar! It's not pleasant to look at it whilst I cannot even switch to another window or desktop while these maps load themselves).

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Wikiwide, you have my sympathy. I also wish I could find something more useful than hildon and friends (and it could well be less pretty).

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
@OP I'm not sure exactly how to accomplish what you're looking for, but you definitely bought the right phone!

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Essex, UK
Hmm... Maemo5-lite.. Sounds good to me =)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Wikiwide:
  • Hit CTRL-backarrow to get out of Maps and back to the dashboard while the progress bar is showing.
  • Try using transitioncontrol to set all of the transitions to their minimum values.
  • I highly doubt a black-and-white interface / theme would make any difference to speed.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
  • Originally Posted by qole View Post
    Wikiwide:
    Hit CTRL-backarrow to get out of Maps and back to the dashboard while the progress bar is showing.
    Thanks for advice!
    Try using transitioncontrol to set all of the transitions to their minimum values.
    Maybe, I'll do it.
    I highly doubt a black-and-white interface / theme would make any difference to speed.
    I mean not Hildon/GTK+ black-and-white theme, but a minimalistic desktop environment. Like...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDE

or I don't know what.

Hi.
This is my first post here. I too have an n900, and would prefer to run fluxbox instead of Hildon.

I feel that Hildon is part of what is keeping my n900 from running as a true computer. I have fluxbox running in the easy-debian chroot, but this seems redundant and needlessly resource intensive.

I suppose ideally, I would abandon Maemo altogether and simply run debian natively, with FSO as a means of accessing GSM telephony, and probably zhone as an interface as in the following link.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

However, this does not seem to be trivial to install at present, so I am stuck with Maemo.

However, I would like to at least abandon Hildon, and surprisingly this is the only thread that I've found so far. I would have thought that by now someone would have found a way to replace the default window manager.

I don't like Hildon because it forces every window to be maximized, which nullifies the concept of multitasking in many ways. I can't view two windows simultaneously, and I can't resize them or move them.

For me, open source is largely about the freedom of choice; choosing a window manager is kind of a big deal, and I've always sided with fluxbox for it's minimalism and flexibility. So where is the first step to take? There is no .xinitrc in Maemo, so what starts Xorg? I'm thinking it might be somewhere in /etc/init.d, but I would appreciate any advice.

Originally Posted by radiochickenwax View Post
Hi.
This is my first post here. I too have an n900, and would prefer to run fluxbox instead of Hildon.
I would be glad, too : )

I feel that Hildon is part of what is keeping my n900 from running as a true computer.
File manager is too limited, Sketch can neither resize nor zoom image, Photographs' editor saves edited png into jpg, etc... Too much eye-candy and not enough functionality. I use Fennec to see the files which aren't seen by File Manager, and vi to edit them if needed.

I have fluxbox running in the easy-debian chroot, but this seems redundant and needlessly resource intensive.
I'm of the same opinion. :-)

I suppose ideally, I would abandon Maemo altogether and simply run debian natively, with FSO as a means of accessing GSM telephony, and probably zhone as an interface as in the following link.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Debian

However, this does not seem to be trivial to install at present, so I am stuck with Maemo.
Yes, to run Debian natively you need:
1. to make a backup;
2. to find a Debian image for your type of hardware, or to make it yourself;
3. put this image onto a memory card or something like that and follow instructions from Debian repository;
4. If N900 doesn't work, reflash it and start again.

However, I would like to at least abandon Hildon, and surprisingly this is the only thread that I've found so far. I would have thought that by now someone would have found a way to replace the default window manager.
Penguinbait could, but he doesn't have N900.

http://tablethacker.com/

I don't like Hildon because it forces every window to be maximized, which nullifies the concept of multitasking in many ways. I can't view two windows simultaneously, and I can't resize them or move them.
It's due to window manager, Matchbox. It's mostly used for devices with such small screens that there is no point in having two windows opened simultaneously. However, N900 has quite large screen, so yes, for multitasking matchbox isn't the best choice.

For me, open source is largely about the freedom of choice; choosing a window manager is kind of a big deal, and I've always sided with fluxbox for it's minimalism and flexibility. So where is the first step to take? There is no .xinitrc in Maemo, so what starts Xorg? I'm thinking it might be somewhere in /etc/init.d, but I would appreciate any advice.
Yes, I suppose that on start-up everything is called from /etc/init.d. At the same time, the scripts in /etc/init.d call out other scripts from /etc/osso-af-init and binaries from /usr/bin. Right now I suppose that Hildon is started in /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop. Before editing it, backup everything from N900, so that you can re-flash it in case of problems.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
and I don't like shiny interface of Hildon, along with transitions and blurs;
You might want to edit the transitions.ini file to disable those.

Hildon Application Manager is useless, I install almost everything from xterm;
The app manager is for people who like a GUI better than a terminal.

File Manager is limited, so I currently use combination of Fennec for reading and xterm+vi for editing.
There are other file managers in the repositories.

KDE and GNOME are too heavy; FVWM, LXDE, E17, Openbox or ICEWM could suit me. I don't know the differences amongst them; deep thanks for explanation.
If you don't know about them, how can you tell that they are what you want?

Having no shadows, no borders, no gradients in titlebars, statusbars, etc is fine.
You might consider downloading a theme which does exactly this.

Matchbox might be good; it's said to be minimal (very well!) window manager;
Hildon already uses Matchbox.

but currently Hildon has shiny, gradient buttons, backgrounds, transitions, sparks, blurs, etc, and I don't want them.
Alhough I don't understand what your problem is with these, you can disable them.
transitions.ini + a minimalistic theme can do the job.

And I have no icons and no widgets on desktop.
Well then, disable the panoramic feature.

Gestures support is also excessive. Tap, double tap and tap-hold are quite enough. Drag-and-drop seems to be unnecessary, too.
This is fairly weird to me, but don't let me stop you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: