Notices

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
1. I currently use irssi as my lightweight IRC client (telepathy-idle works only for private messages, not for channels, right?). Occasionally, I may receive youtube links here. Firing up Fennec for them seems inefficient (especially since it's highly unlikely to have Adobe Flash plugin, or any other video plugin, correct?), and MicroB hasn't worked for me for a long time, even for simplest tasks (can elaborate later on that; probably something mis-configured multiple times, or something). I would like a way to play them. Preferably, it would be a Youtube plugin for Media Player (no python, please). The grilo plugin allows to "randomly" open something from Youtube, but does not seem to have interface for opening specific Youtube video (I have Youtube link in clipboard).

And yes, Vimeo and such compatibility is a plus (I am not fan of Youtube, and I do not like monopolists).

1.1. WiFi "randomly" disconnects when irssi is running. Is it because system does not know that irssi needs Internet Connection? Is there a setup to make sure that Internet Connection does not go away while IRSSI is running?

2. Sometimes, hildon-desktop goes slow. Killall-ing it makes it fast again. But, if it manages to freeze before it gets killall-ed, then I have to reboot. Is there a way to create a keyboard shortcut for killall-ing frozen hildon-desktop.

2.1. Is there a way to ctrl-alt-f3 to command-line, or something, when GUI is frozen? And yes, I realise that it would require some remapping of hardware keyboard, at the very least.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
ad 1)
in default Maemo I would guess disable power save in wlan settings the best try
or install 'autodisconnect' settings plugin

ad2)
not heard about hildon-desktop freezing. More likely hildon-home?
you will find threads and posts of mine for workarounds. Using cssu this should be obsolete.
if it really is desktop you still might go via a DCEW or QueenBeecon widget executing your shell command (if it is home freezing no chance )

ad 3)
ctrl-shift-x not working?
I have a terminal (top) shortcut in power button menu and can access x-term that way

sorry for shortness, in hurry ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Have you tried Cutetube?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Have you tried Cutetube?
what he said. . .

cutetube is a very nice.youtube client and more. Watch and save videos. Save audio (n900 version only, I think). Still being maintained. Can watch for URLs in clipboard. Worth a try if you haven't before.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Indonesia
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
what he said. . .

cutetube is a very nice.youtube client and more. Watch and save videos. Save audio (n900 version only, I think). Still being maintained. Can watch for URLs in clipboard. Worth a try if you haven't before.
yup agree with you +1, i use cutetube in my free time before go sleep

The Following User Says Thank You to supergaban For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
cutetube is so nice that it makes a dent in my data account now and then
hell it even streams on 2g

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
About cutetube: uses qt4 (better than python, but I would rather see hildon-gtk), and does not integrate into media player (right?).

Is it possible to create one more plugin for grilo, like, "Clipboard"? So that when you go in Grilo to Clipboard plugin, it parses the url and fetches the video (possibly asking Youtube plugin for assistance - it does not make sense to duplicate the code). Or, just add "Clipboard" directory inside "Youtube" plugin which would parse URL from Clipboard and show the needed video.

[Edit]
Documentation specifies that a source plugin (such as, Youtube) may have Media-From-URL functionality (which is precisely what I am looking for). Youtube plugin does not have this fuctionality in fremantle tree, but this functionality is implemented in current master tree.

So, anybody willing to take current master tree of Grilo plugins, put into it 63 commits for fremantle-isation, and try it out in Extras-Devel?
[/Edit]

About irssi: is it possible to put version 0.8.17 into repositories?

Also, is it possible to make irssi Internet-Connection-Aware for Maemo properly, and would it stop WiFi from disconnecting? Currently, irssi, just like ssh (and probably many other command-line programs), is not maemo-internet-ised.

"killall hildon-desktop" definitely made it faster when it was going slow. Okay, next time I will try "killall hildon-home" and see if it is also a command making it faster. I currently do not have any widgets on desktop, not even recaller (uninstalled).

About bug in hildon-desktop: it might be related to the Catorise Plus being installed.

I have CSSU-Testing installed, latest version. Sometimes, launcher-menu opens quickly and has all icons. Sometimes, it opens slowly and adds icons to it one-by-one. I do not get the reason, but it may be related to slowness in general.

I do not want to disable powersave. Not installing AutoDisconnect, yet.

Thank you. Best wishes.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2015-04-11 at 06:48.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
gotcha ! install cssu stable and your device would behave diffrently my testing installed n900 also behaves much like yours

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
gotcha ! install cssu stable and your device would behave diffrently my testing installed n900 also behaves much like yours
Are you sure? So, a certain hildon-desktop-menu-bug exists in CSSU Testing, but not in CSSU stable? Curiouser and curiouser...

Thank you. Best wishes.

Also, shouldn't grilo be updated to 0.2.14? /Should I contact maintainer about that?/

Thank you. Best wishes.

Tags
hildon-desktop, irssi, maemo 5, media player, youtube