Notices

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by fasza2 View Post
Isn't pidgin free?
free/cheap as in consumes less 3g data transfer
maemo is an open source.. almost everything is free

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brussels, Belgium
From the official website:
To send and receive messages, WhatsApp utilizes your existing smartphone internet data plan: 3G/EDGE (or Wi-Fi when available)
So it would still be the same as using pidgin, or any other app I guess...

whatsapp runs in background and you don't need to sign in. There's no way to exit; you have to kill the process.

A message sent to you while you have no internet connection will wait to be sent to you again when you are online, pretty much like other instant messenger programs.

What's quite different from other im programs is that whatsapp identifies users by their phone numbers, not a username. After your friend in your phone book install and run whatsapp and you refresh your contact list in whatsapp, his/her name will automatically be present; no need to add friend by username or email address.

It is some what like the concept of enum (e164) where one identity (phone number) is used for every mode of communication, i.e. mobile phone, home phone, sip etc.

Posts: 429 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dubai
i would love to have whatsapp on my n900
i cant chat with anyone using pidgin or the normal msn in my N900
because i cant see the people online
when ever i open my contact list i get internal error
i was hoping for that problem to be fixed in pr1.3 but no success
i dont know if there is a work around concerning the matter, if so then i would really appreciate a link to it

i want the whatsapp cause i see that it is very cool ,,and many of my friends are using it and it so easy to be in contact with my friends all the time ,,

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ amsterdam
Originally Posted by faitoury View Post
i want the whatsapp cause i see that it is very cool ,,and many of my friends are using it and it so easy to be in contact with my friends all the time ,,
what you said (y) and i really dont wanna get a blackberry or iphone only just to use whatsapp or pin, that will cost me at least 18 euros a month extra while my n900 contract is still running for a whole year.. it would be a waste of my money.

Hopefully whatsapp comes sooooon !

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvyn For This Useful Post:
Sign this to get WhatsApp on Maemo
http://twitition.com/8a3bj