What is so evil about canonical? Did they piss your cerial or steal your cookie?

The Following User Says Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
What is so evil about canonical? Did they piss your cerial or steal your cookie?
No,They stole a name from a Russian space station called Mir. And Linux kids can't handle same name at two places to they have hated them ever since. Doesn't matter how cool stuff they are creating, they can't handle Mir.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
im donating 20$ in a week, cash is low at the moment, if i had the money i am SO getting this, love the ubuntu desktop dock system, would be awesome if mate desktop could be used

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ NC USA
Originally Posted by ncik View Post
I don't understand all the hate for ubuntu.. For me they are the ones who brought me to linux during my college days and have kept me there.
They have brought a lot of people to Linux, which is a good thing. You missed the part about them taking Debian as a base, then rather than contribute back to the upstream projects, they go their own way and fracture the communities.

Their commits to many of the core utilities are minimal or non-existent as they devote their time to Unity, Mir, Amazon, tv's, phones, etc. The man-hours and lines of code in those splinter efforts could really have helped everyone who uses Linux (gnome-shell, Nemo, wayland, etc.) - but it's clear Canonical are only interested in Canonical.

Yes they are a for-profit concern, but so is Red Hat, the SuSE folks, 10gen, on and on; and they manage to contribute plenty back or even fund development.

Ubuntu is also subject to the whims of The Great Benevolent Jackass (their claims of community decision-making are hilarious), who in his downtime from veering them away from the Linux communities, makes a point in the press to belittle every other linuxy-thing that was Not Invented Here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fongo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
They are dualbooting so that they can use Ubuntu for Android. Ubuntu desktop mode is not yet available for Ubuntu touch it will be with a simple update.
So basically it's a phone with built-in 'plan B': if Ubuntu Touch will never get off, you can complacently tell to yourself "at least it can run Android"

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
So basically it's a phone with built-in 'plan B': if Ubuntu Touch will never get off, you can complacently tell to yourself "at least it can run Android"
OR they are demonstrating two software products on one device Ubuntu touch and Ubuntu for android.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Udates by the Ubuntu Queen...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ub...dge?c=activity

10%...90% to go

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-07-23 at 17:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
It's my understanding they're going the same way as it seems Jolla might also end up doing, by using libhybris with Android drivers.

Apparently the chipset manufacturers have no interest in X11/Wayland/Mir drivers due to perceived low volume (probably justifified perception at least in short term). Using Android drivers is a way to get in to the game, and perhaps when there's enough volume the chipset makers can be persuaded to make dedicated drivers.
Then I see no reason to support them specifically. Jolla doesn't plan to go that way as a preferable one. They attempt to fight for drivers, and use libhybris as a fallback when they aren't available. If Canonical gives up on trying even in their own device, it's already a failure.

If Canonical wants to crowdfund something, let them crowdfund glibc drivers development. I'd contribute to that right away. Funding bionic only hardware doesn't sound exciting.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-07-23 at 19:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North America
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
not at the moment. if it will be pure linux like sailfish and n900, n9/50 was; will consider it.
otherwise it's just another android.
how is sailfish any more "pure" linux because instead of dumping x11, choosing QtQuick2.0 and bootstrapping (fully open source) mir they decided to dump x11, choose Wayland with qt5 and custom-special Sailfish-flavor UI components?

xmir is being written for a reason. unity8 could be ported to wayland to replace Mir on the device. One could even go fully "Mint Touch" and run all the QtQuick ubuntu dialer apps, etc. in your own darn DE

sheesh, how hard one must to try to *not see* an additional open platform?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bjv For This Useful Post:
I would like to thank the 1500 people who has donated without nothing in return than see this cool device happen.

I salute you!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: