Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
It bothers me knowing that I spent that much money (nearly 650 € in total cos I bought a 16gb card) and cant even update my phone with a future release.
Who said you can't update it ? The N900 will certainly be updateable, the only question is if it will be in the form of official Maemo 6 support or via Mer (a la Hacker's Edition).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
Is it possible to include the telephony parts to this hypothetic maemo6/mer?

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Who said you can't update it ? The N900 will certainly be updateable, the only question is if it will be in the form of official Maemo 6 support or via Mer (a la Hacker's Edition).
Yeah I understand, but thats hackable... its like installing linux in the iphone. Most people wont do it... Heck, I dunno even if I would go through all the trouble.

Apple releases updates to their mobile OS (its just one but...) but this is just great. Having an outdated OS, at least IMHO, is a killer. Apple charges people some amount of money (think it was 10e for the last upgrade) and Nokia could do the same. Unless there is a very big reason behind, like hardware incompatibility or something like this, because essentially is the same OS just with different libraries.

If its not a hardware compatibility issue then what? I am forced to buy another phone with the updated Maemo. What if I dont want to change the device? I like it or maybe I have different reasons for not changing it ($$$ or emotional?).

IMHO this is a winner...

Last edited by HangLoose; 2009-09-10 at 07:21.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by HangLoose View Post
Yeah I understand, but thats hackable... its like installing linux in the iphone. Most people wont do it...
You mixed something up. It's not hackery, it's a public, not even remotely illegal, well documented (and not that complicated) procedure of flashing a device.

Apple charges people some amount of money (think it was 10e for the last upgrade) and Nokia could do the same.
Nokia can't really charge for it, that would kill the whole point of having an open source OS.

If its not a hardware compatibility issue then what? I am forced to buy another phone with the updated Maemo. What if I dont want to change the device?
Without no clue just what the next generation's HW specification is, it's just too early to tell even if it's possible, much less if Nokia wants to do it. For the record, the N800 did get an OS upgrade (free) after the N810 was released, but N810 HW is close to N800. N900 HW is NOT close to N8x0.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by bbin View Post
I thought maemo 5 also supports multitouch?
Afraid not...

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Yes, the N900 doesn't support multitouch. It has a resistive screen, after all.

Yes, we've seen the news about Stantum announcing their "world first resistive multitouch", but that was a fairly recent event. From first announcement to mass market reality is a far way to go for any such technology.

And yes, there are some clever "kind-of-multitouch" hacks you can do, but that's far from being universally usable.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I hear there will be thin, malleable phones in the near future that will wrap around your wrist and conform to many other shapes based on need.

Pisses me off that I am forced to buy phones now that don't have that, and I'll be forced to throw them away when this other thing comes out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 198 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Helsinki, Finland
I really fail to understand what's so cool about multitouch

ok, maybe in the future we'll have it, then what?

capacitive multitouch has lower resolution than resistive and anyway the screen is not so large, so having 2+ fingers on it doesn't really leave much space to actually see what one is touching and finally - but this is really my personal opinion, the fact i work for nokia is totally irrelevant - i think multitouch has been one of the best marketing campaigns ever for the iphone.

of course, if your screen resolution is so crappy that you cannot show the entire web page _and_ still have it readable, your users are forced to constantly zoom in and out

so enters the apple marketing and turns a downside into a selling point

what does it prove? that given good enough marketing people, anything can be sold at a premium, even canned crap

Last edited by igor; 2009-09-12 at 20:02. Reason: typos

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to igor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I hear there will be thin, malleable phones in the near future that will wrap around your wrist and conform to many other shapes based on need.

Pisses me off that I am forced to buy phones now that don't have that, and I'll be forced to throw them away when this other thing comes out.

i see you have heared about Nokia Morph aswell lol

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Originally Posted by igor View Post
what does it prove? that given good enough marketing people, anything can be sold at a premium, even canned crap
Yep, could not agree more...

I also think that nokia needs is a successful "Mac x Pc" ad against other phones. Apple likes to mock other vendors a LOT, maybe nokia should do the same... Not by being aggressive like MS, but sarcastic as Apple.

And btw, have you guys seen lately the promos from Nokia? Those creepy booklet 3g blue nailed hands... the girl in the ovi maps... Come on, looks like my first digital video project back in university days...

Tags
future, gestures, harmattan, maemo, maemo 6, multitouch, qt framework, speculation