Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i really don't understand all the scepticism about whether it will get released.

Nokia's own released documents indicate an ongoing investment into Meego/QT in the region of $200m/year.

Meego hasn't gone, it has just failed to become Nokia's major ecosystem with which it intends to compete with IOS and android.

http://jedibeeftrix.wordpress.com/20...-qt-and-meego/
But will they continue to support this one or just release it because they have to?

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by olighak View Post
Yes, but actually they say that they wouldn´t be sad if this had Windows Phone 7 on it. So they´re not jumping out in support of Meego-Harmattan as such. Just a pretty looking device.

We don't think it's terribly likely, but if it comes with a dash of Windows Phone 7 on board, we can't promise not to jump for joy.
Sorry, i meant the comments, not the bloggers

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
I must say I am very very hopeful after looking at the FCC reports. I feared the keyboardless Lankku was the one nokia "MeeGo" device to be released.

Anyway, here's what I gather are the commonly believed facts:

- To everyone's surprise It's a revision of the N9 we were all drooling over a year ago. (source: FCC report combined with year old highly detailed leaked photos)
- It will run Maemo6 aka Harmattan and not MeeGo (or WP7) (source: maemo community mailing lists)
- It will be announced very soon, possibly 17th of may or during MeeGo conf in San Francisco (source: Zehjotkah's tweets)

I'm very excited. :-)

EDIT: In regards to Nok not going forward with MeeGo in a large scale: It doesn't bother me at all, as long as they keep making these niche, high quality linux devices and release every 2 years or so like they have been doing since 2005. I don't want stuff made for masses, I want stuff made for me. Like the N900.

EDIT2: The name of the device is yet to be determined. The Rich Green coined "N950" was, as I understood it, done to illustrate how the device is a natural successor to the N900. He even gestured towards airquotes. Anyway I'm guessing N9, since it was written on the prototype from last year.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2011-05-12 at 07:24.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
And they've already announced that they'll be getting out of it completely within the next year and a half. Microsoft doesn't want Nokia to have any outs like MeeGo.

This will be released, and they'll support it until it gets EOL'd and walk away.
i haven't read anything that isn't rank speculation which contradicts any of what what nokia said on feb 11th.

what do you know?

Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
It doesn't matter. They will be criticized for being behind if it uses a 2 year old single core processor. Personally, I'd like a spec bump beyond a basic clock increase.
Why should this matter? Nokia is not competing on Meego devices.

This device is not going to be promoted at all.

The only question is if it is interesting on its own.

Personally, if it is at least as open as the N900 and if it gets cheap enough it could be an interesting replacement if my N900 dies.

But hopefully there will be alternatives...

I really hope the N950 will still run meego. I fear they put WP7 on it and recycled the old N9 design for meego...

Nokia support is useless... QT support is more important.
With continued QT support, I see no problem for CSSU on Harmattan, maybe even a merged effort with Meego DE on RM680.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
But will they continue to support this one or just release it because they have to?
given that their own documents indicate a continued invested to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars a year i am not too worried.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
I'm excited. And if this does actually get released this year but doesn't stand up to my hopes and dreams (and of everyone here), I'll happily return it and keep using my N900. But I AM excited...!

Originally Posted by mece View Post
EDIT: In regards to Nok not going forward with MeeGo in a large scale: It doesn't bother me at all, as long as they keep making these niche, high quality linux devices and release every 2 years or so like they have been doing since 2005. I don't want stuff made for masses, I want stuff made for me. Like the N900.
finally, someone who makes sense! yes!!!! i want something made for me. not made for the masses. who cares about the latter? i buy a phone because it works for ME!!!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland