Poll: How long will Nokia N900 last?
Poll Options
How long will Nokia N900 last?

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
How long will Nokia N900 remain attractive ?
Until it starts using excessive botox injections and starts looking like that "My face is so stretched my eyelids start at the back of my neck look"

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Maemo support will depend on this forum - us.
You selectively quoted me. I did continue to state that as far as it goes, the closed bits may be the determining factor. I had used Skype and Flash as my examples.

Will the community support those in the form(s) of updates and/or fixes?

I'm afraid not. As far as the rest, the closed bits - mostly power/battery management and other pieces are a concern too... a minor concern though.

But as it stands, this community will have a lot to do to show me that it's not another Fremantle for N8x0 or Mer for that matter. Those things sounded great, but due to obstacles, they never came to fruition.

Let's see how the hand-off goes for Maemo 5 to this community goes... hopefully for the best.

I'm sure the 32+16Gb can go a long, long way, but how far can the ARM 600MHz support new application requirements? How long can we can compromise on trailing some new applications?
Storage isn't a problem. And the 600mhz barrier can be overcome by overclocking. Both are great.

But I'm running 1280mhz Hummingbird, up from 1ghz for my Samsung Captivate. 1100mhz ain't nothing for the N900.

But it's the software that's a prob going forward perhaps.

For me, I'm hoping the N900 can go at least another 3 years. I hope that's not wishful thinking. It seems like a great phone.
I hope so too. I just don't see it lasting more than 6 more months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Last year the n900 (2009) was on it's way to be a big commercial success.

Then Nokia botched it.

The n900 commercially is now pretty much dead - which is unfortunate.

However, as a Linux pocket computer (with basic phone/sms functionality) it is the closest thing released so far.

I imagine it will go the same way a s the Zaurus line. Not a commercial success but even after manufacturing and "official" support ceases, it still continues to be popular.

As long as the n900 is useful to me then I will be still be using it. Even if I have to carry two devices again (e.g. I buy another phone).

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
If the threshold is trying to keep up with the whiz-bang conveyor-belt-android-htc-droid-samsung, and the occasional iPhone, offerings, then, no more than 6 mos. But, if the criteria is to satisfy the current N900 user base (us!) with some brilliant apps/OS ports, I'd say 2 years. By the time 2012/13 rolls by, we'll have a proven N-something or another from Nokia to take over where the N900 left.

At the moment, and I can't see this changing for me for another at least a year or so (if and when a MeeGo handset is released), I can't imagine anything from Android/WinMo/iOS that'll attract me more than what the N900 offers right now.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Alexandria,Egypt
i think till now its forever cause even 3D effects can be on it (still in examination),it will depend on future tech and if it can be adjusted on n900 or not bs am talkin about next 5 years maybe more

Am planning to buy one still and I'd like to think I won't throw it away for a good year or so, mainly because I haven't seen any phones that support linux to such a degree, and I've never used Nokia's support for anything. The internet has always had better support.

Hi

This is my first posting on these forums. I have actually just ordered an N900 today. And I am pretty aware that the N900 is pretty much at EOL. However I have been following the N900 since it's first release and despite its rocky history and unsure future it is still really the only phone I would consider buying at the moment. (The only other candidate for me was possibly the Google Nexus S - but that won't be available at a decent price point in Australia for some time and the N8 at a stretch)

The things I have considered whilst making my decision

* Despite N900's lack of ongoing support from Nokia, I recognise a very valuable N900 community
* Its one of the few open platforms I can pretty much do what I want with.
* I am an experienced linux/solaris developer, so I understand what I am in for, (though only played with mobile platforms, series 60, android emulator)
* Opportunity to play with Meego (yes I realize full support will never be there).
* Most of my paid development work is python, so any platform supporting it gets my vote ;-)

My original N95 is now pretty long in the tooth and now is the time to replace it, so I find the N900 is still attractive for me ;-)

Just my 2c

See ya

Tim

Last edited by zutesmog; 2010-12-20 at 10:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to zutesmog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
It will remain attractive until infinity^infinity.

Originally Posted by flipalong View Post
it was unattractive as in looks from the very beginning. i mean its 180 grams, thats nearly twice a normal candybar phone.
but it will always remain attractive in any other way possible.
Its far much attractive than N8. Just extra 80GMS will not break your wrist

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
will always be attractive...must admit this is m 2nd phone aftr my nokia 7710 was m 1st Nokia phone....aftr dat nokia n900, just Love it...n most imp this forum.... u all guys will never let this Beautiful and powerful Handset move down.... GRT GOING GUYS...

N900 ROCKSSSSSSS