Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
It would be simple to make an honest ad, btw: all you would have to do would be to tell the truth, THEN do the amazing BS graphics or whatever. Why doesn't someone try it?
You know what the word "marketing" means, right?

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following User Says Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
How many times are people going to claim that the N900 was mainly for devels and people who like to live on the edge when they have no answer to the question, where do the ads say that?

It would be simple to make an honest ad, btw: all you would have to do would be to tell the truth, THEN do the amazing BS graphics or whatever. Why doesn't someone try it?

I know you aren't the marketing department. But the N900 was never marketed as only for people who wanted to risk way over $500 on a hope that their cell phone might work decently.

I was here for the earlier tablets, so I wasn't misled. I never found the N900 difficult to use. I don't do any gee-whizz tricky stuff. I don't need to. It works great.

But I think that saying the N900 was never meant for ordinary users is not true, and I get tired of hearing people repeat it. Show me the ad that says that.
Did I say anything about ads? No. But if you want, they were misleading and probably device should not have been advertised as it was. On the other hand "highly" trained bloggers (read: copy paste news and add stuff until story gets highly twisted just because if you dont then you are not hip) added their own spice to whole spin.

If you read what Quim Gil and Jaaksi have said then you would realize that device is not for everyone. Also if you happen to live in country where customers have at least some basic rights then you are able to change or get money back from your purchase (in certain time window of course). Basically in couple of days of testing you should realize what kind of devel board this is.

But yes ad campaing was missleading and hopefully Nokia has learnt something from that (basically don't advertise at all ). On the other hand I have understood from Texrats statements that even earlier devices should have been marketed more agressively? Makes me wonder that is it even possible to advertise something like this in way that its still advertisement and not misleading. Big read text where it says "Do you like Rolemaster and compiling kernel?"

I bet meego will be so simple that it makes some users here hate to use it Bit like look we have this already configured "gnome" approach for poor user so that you do no get confused.

btw. This is terribly offtopic and if this forum had some proper moderators I and other users should have given warning and couple of days ban way back.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
But I think that saying the N900 was never meant for ordinary users is not true, and I get tired of hearing people repeat it. Show me the ad that says that.
The only people who new that up front were those that are a bit more enthusiast than the average person. The ads were, and still is, sort of misleading by not saying what the N900 really is, but they are not wrong. However, reading a couple of reviews or trying it yourself in a store, should reveal the true nature if the N900 unless you area complete *****.

Simply because it is expensive and can do lots of things, does not equate to flagship device or top of the line business-phone or iPhone clone or iPhone killer or Android killer or even that it is remotely usable for your needs if the iPhone/business phone/Android is what you really want.

It is like getting a Subaru Impreza STI, believing it is a large luxury SUV simply because it's a four wheel drive and got lots of HP.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
It is like getting a Subaru Impreza STI, believing it is a large luxury SUV simply because it's a four wheel drive and got lots of HP.
You can tell that's not an SUV with a glance.

Some of N900's deficiencies need you to input all your personal info (mail app's performance, features and reliability issues) or to use it regularly (unreliably accepting calls when it's too 'busy') to uncover.

Something you can't quickly and conveniently 'try' or 'glance' beforehand.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
You can tell that's not an SUV with a glance.

Some of N900's deficiencies need you to input all your personal info (mail app's performance, features and reliability issues) or to use it regularly (unreliably accepting calls when it's too 'busy') to uncover.

Something you can't quickly and conveniently 'try' or 'glance' beforehand.
OK, bad example, but I think you got it. The point is that you are ultimately responsible for your own purchases, it is not Nokias responsibility that you purchase a N900 when you want a Galaxy S.

I have had my N900 for a year now, and never experience those unreliabilities you mention, I guess I must be doing something wrong...

The Following User Says Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Reuters article on board changes.

Elop will run the unit which combines smartphones and services until the new chief for the unit is appointed, a spokesman said.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
OK, bad example, but I think you got it.
I do... but how about you?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

lol

the n900 was a commercial failure, that is all there is to it. If it was a commercial success it would be supported and maemo would till be alive.

as for those arguing that its the user's fault for buying the n900, this is why the n900 is a commercial failure and why the n900 type device will not be made by nokia again

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
@Frappacino
Commercial failure? Please explain and also some references would be good.Do you know what Nokia expected from N900?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
lol

the n900 was a commercial failure, that is all there is to it. If it was a commercial success it would be supported and maemo would till be alive.

as for those arguing that its the user's fault for buying the n900, this is why the n900 is a commercial failure and why the n900 type device will not be made by nokia again
How many times shall we say this NOKIA N900 IS STILL SUPPORTED. QT 4.7 SDK is in the repository stop trolling ********.

Tags
suomiexitnok