Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post

as for those arguing that its the user's fault for buying the n900, this is why the n900 is a commercial failure and why the n900 type device will not be made by nokia again
No no no. The whole point is that Nokia never intended the N900 to be anything but a device for the enthusiast. What has happened is they have sold tons of the N900, and most probably have sold them to half a ton of people that would be better off with something else, well - anything else.

Why? a combination of too eager for Nokias own good pr management (or total lack of such), braindead bloggers, and probably also poor N97 sales. But most of all people assuming expensive and high spec equals "flagship device" and must have.

Who cares anymore, Jaaksi leaves, the N8, E7 etc is out, and the N9 is still waporware as of today.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bsving For This Useful Post:
The amount N900 sold was no doubt at least as much as Nokia expected as it was only made in Korean factory rather than the norm of the two big factories in China and Finland making it(N900 was first "flagship" not made in Salo factory) and still had trouble to make enough of them in first 4 months with the much lower sales than example N97(that sold 2 million in first 2 months and was made in Finland and China).
If Nokia made it clear enough that what N900 really was is another story. In the N900 announcement Nokia downplayed the N900 quite alot and harmattan had been announced year ago already, but that's very small amount of people who knew any of this.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
I see that my favourite troll is back again... "for the lulz" I guess?

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
No, I am not. I sold mine within 2 months of purchase, the same thing goes for every one of the dozen or so people I know IRL who has owned one.
Who cares?
It's your loss.
(Writing this post with my N900)

Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
NIT admittedly was pretty nice back in the day, but with smartphone, netbook and tablet offerings, pretty much obsolete today.
If this is what you think, why don't you just go and bugger off? To an android forum maybe? You can then whine about Maemo and praise android there. I bet everyone there will agree with you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
lol

the n900 was a commercial failure, that is all there is to it. If it was a commercial success it would be supported and maemo would till be alive.
And you know this, how? If you look at the N900 form factor and certain other aspects of the device, it becomes clear Nokia didn't intend to sell it to everybody and their dogs. Don't you think they'd put out something a bit more approachable than a "big black brick" if that had been the case? (they do have some experience in selling cellphones after all).

There never was a single Maemo device out there targeting mass markets. I think there was about to be, but that plan got terminated due to MeeGo, which was seen as something that caters better for the future.

The Following User Says Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
If you look at the N900 form factor and certain other aspects of the device, it becomes clear Nokia didn't intend to sell it to everybody and their dogs. Don't you think they'd put out something a bit more approachable than a "big black brick" if that had been the case? (they do have some experience in selling cellphones after all).
A little history... family picture, if you will:

Yes, those sold like gangbusters when they were popular. They were fond memories for Nokia.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
No no no. The whole point is that Nokia never intended the N900 to be anything but a device for the enthusiast. What has happened is they have sold tons of the N900, and most probably have sold them to half a ton of people that would be better off with something else, well - anything else.
Smartphones are complex, feature-rich, and used for tons of purposes hence speaking in [such] absolutes ("would be better off with something else, well - anything else") is dangerous, and likely inaccurate. We also have to see things in end 2009 context.

Why? a combination of too eager for Nokias own good pr management (or total lack of such), braindead bloggers, and probably also poor N97 sales. But most of all people assuming expensive and high spec equals "flagship device" and must have.
Nokia and their employees did warn about this; this is why it is step 4 of 5, and its the impression I received. The product wasn't extensively marketed. It wasn't marketed as a flagship device, and the device hasn't received the same amount of software updates as a flagship device.

It certainly is partly my own fault believing the device was production quality. Besides some design mistakes (USB and battery IMO; YMMV), and lack of security/reliability updates the problem is IMO that a device which aims for a new market is _also_ going to have new customers who will be let down. Since you are shooting for something between developers and power users ("enthusiast") some will be pleased and some won't. Yes, in both of these camps, and in each of these camps people have different interests. You can recognize this on this forum: some are very pleased with their purchase, some are very let down, and theres tons inbetween but they're less vocal/apparent.

Instead of saying the product is a total flop for power users or enthusiasts (which it isn't, as various of those are enjoying the device as you can see here) its more useful to recognize the strong and weak points of the device and OS, and the next one as well. This leads to a more happy community, happy users, happy customers, happy shareholders.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by RFS-81 View Post
And you know this, how? If you look at the N900 form factor and certain other aspects of the device, it becomes clear Nokia didn't intend to sell it to everybody and their dogs. Don't you think they'd put out something a bit more approachable than a "big black brick" if that had been the case? (they do have some experience in selling cellphones after all).
While your argument might be correct the market perception at a whole is much more complex.

N900 does have a full Qwerty slide out keyboard. This adds in weight and size. One could have said the same about Nokia Communicator, and these certainly had their place in the market. We call the form factor koelkast ('fridge') here, btw.

I'd say the USB port fiasco is more indicative of this, but that was found out after release.

There never was a single Maemo device out there targeting mass markets. I think there was about to be, but that plan got terminated due to MeeGo, which was seen as something that caters better for the future.
Again, thats speaking in absolutes. This one was relatively more targeted at the masses, and that was according to plan.

Remember corporations often use Linux and open source as R&D playground.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 540 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
For those who wanted English version: http://www.nokia.com/press/press-rel...newsid=1450264

I wish Anssi's experience will be fully utilized during his still 5 months at the company.

Posts: 333 | Thanked: 153 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ blah blah
adobe or microsoft will aquire nokia, meego will be open source with their share + intels

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Nokia should just license all the license-able OS (android, wp7, webos?) and put Qt frameworks on top of them, making Ovi the sole mobile app platform that works on all the major mobile OS.

Provide online sync\backup, then their customers data and apps are protected as they switch platform. (Well, as close to that as possible).
This could be a good idea.
QTJambi already has QT-bindings for Java ready. There is not so much to do to port that to Dalvik (Android).

Intel is already doing porting tool so Apple iOS developers can easily convert iphone-applications to Meego.

I also think, Dalvik could be ported to Meego, so one could run Dalvik applications under Meego-Dalvik's VM. Also Meego would need Java SE and Java ME VMs officially supported.

I would think, Nokia is most interested that Qt would become popular. Having Dalvik port of Qt would not hurt. If Qt is really as good as Nokia and many thinks, would think also Apple and Android developers would start using it if Qt would be ported to iPhone-OS and Android.

[These talks are pretty far away from "Jaaksi Leaves"-topic already.]

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:

Tags
suomiexitnok