Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
(...) and impressions versus the leaked N810 OS.
What you (and others) call "leaked" is in fact an official N810 image clever people found out how to install contra natura in the N800. What Nokia has released today is an official beta with all the ingredients developers need to make proper Chinook releases and test them in a real, supported combination.

For me the choice is clear.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by flareup View Post
"The OS2008 final release for the N800 is expected to come on mid December. It will include several improvements based on N800 specific testing and the earliest feedback received from the usage of the N810 in real circumstances."

os08 for 800 was to be with the release of the n810, then a week later than it, then december, now mid december.

better get the beta i guess.

the software side of he NITs really does seem to let the whole thing down release/timing wise.

Anyone know when skype will be available for it? like quite a few 800 users, it's a big part of the use and appeal of the device for me now.
You'll have to ask Skype about that. I'm pretty sure they're in final QA on it at this point.

Nokia has decided to release a beta version of OS2008 for the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. This release intends to help developers port and test their applications' performance and readiness for OS2008. The Navkit is for the OS2008 beta is disabled however. The release version of OS2008 should be available by mid-December. The lucky 500 contributors who received their Nokia N810 discount codes should be able to use them by December 15. Download the OS2008 beta firmware. Read Maemo.org's announcement.
Read the full article.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Has anyone tried to install from a Mac? If so, does Aflegg's GUI installer work?

Regards,

Omega

Update: I have successfully installed the new OS using Aflegg's GUI installer! And everything seems to be just fine and dandy!

Last edited by omegaone37; 2007-11-26 at 16:58.

Skype seems to be available, at least on the unofficial N810 firmware.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by keithlm View Post
It now lists Vista as a client OS for the flasher... very nice.

(Although my new laptop has both Vista and Linux on it...)
Well the earlier windows update utility was also working under Vista (in-fact I had it installed with no problem).

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by kyyla View Post
Skype seems to be available, at least on the unofficial N810 firmware.
No, not yet. The icon is there, but the installer tells you it's not ready yet.

EDIT: My bad.. it works now.

Got it installed and it looks great. Just started playing with it now. Could not get Skype to install though.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
No, not yet. The icon is there, but the installer tells you it's not ready yet.
Nope I just installed it. Works just fine.

Could you please elaborate on how you managed to install skype? I keep getting an error message saying I should update my OS on the N810. I'm using the latest officially available Version of OS 2008 on my N800.

Thanks, SB