What is the amount of orders of 770 globally? Out of stock in EU, and pre-orders can be made in the USA.

I will start and say: hmm in EU 30 000..and in the USA 10 000.
Does that sound reasonable?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
My guess much less. You have to take into account that the unit is not being promoted actively (no full page ads or anything, only word of mouth) at this time by Nokia, and at this time can only be bought directly from them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
Originally Posted by mika
What is the amount of orders of 770 globally? Out of stock in EU, and pre-orders can be made in the USA.

I will start and say: hmm in EU 30 000..and in the USA 10 000.
Does that sound reasonable?
I have been asking myself the same question.
My guess is waaaaaay less, my guess for Belgium is 10, yes TEN.
Same kind of numbers for other EU countries.

They were sold out almost immediately. I ordered mine on Friday 24 hours after launch and on Tuesday they were out of stock.

For total of EU I would say about 300.

My Logic tells me if there where much more we would have seen much more picts and owners users in this forum.

I haven't seen it anywere yet in written press.
A major Nokia dealer store in Brussels was even surprised when I showed them the tablet. They don't have a clue when they will get it.

I don't believe the major programs are ready yet. For example accessing your Contacts or Ical calendar on the SIM card. Very strange that that isn't there.
Basically Nokia already has a PIM in the phone.

I believe since the introduction was already postponed, they finally decided to put a few in the market silently.
Then see what happens (in the forum) and then do the right thing for Marketing purposes.

For example lots of people here try to compare it with a stand alone PDA or want to turn it into a PDA loaded with a lot of programs. However I believe it is made to acess all the new online applications and work in combination with your Nokia phone.
For example I believe there is no Mic (even if some people say there is)
When they launch VOIP in 2006, you select your friend on your phone and choose if you want to call him on GSM or VOIP. connecting true Bluetooth and making the connection with Wifi. Instead of a Bluetooth ear/mouth adapter. You talk true the phone and work on the tablet.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Savannah, GA
I'm in agreement with JPB. Its probably a very limited supply "on both sides of the pond" in order to seed the market quietly, gain some insights from an extended developer and user community, and buying some additional time to iron out the rough edges before a grander release and marketing blitz around New Year? CES?. Perhaps a couple thousand units total would be my guess.

Regarding JPB's comment on driving some apps only via connectivity to Nokia phone via BT, I'll agree on that too. Two of our team have puchased new Nokia phones this week in anticipation of using the BT to phone/GPRS when wifi isn't available and previous reports on this site seem to indicate this connectivity was seamless with Nokia devices and not necessarily so with phones from other vendors. So, Nokia succeeds in doubling their revenues on us on that front (once you add in cost of the phone, batteries, car charger, etc.).

All in all, we're still excited about being in the vanguard with the rest of this community helping to "beta test" the offer and make it better.

Robert :?)

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Propose we start a straw poll of order numbers?

Mine, ordered when in stock from the UK site on the Friday just after 8am (London time), was 200241 (got it Monday around 4pm).

I assume they started from 200000 - so if we can find the lowest number that was an 'out of stock' order - we'll get a pretty good idea

On a tangent: my delivery number was something like 128013 - makes me think perhaps I was the 241st person to oder overall, and maybe the 13th to have it despatched for delivery in the UK?

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Hants, UK
My order number was 200884, order placed late Sunday afternoon.

Gareth

Originally Posted by JPB
I have been asking myself the same question.
My guess is waaaaaay less, my guess for Belgium is 10, yes TEN.
Same kind of numbers for other EU countries.
Well, you got one in Belgium, I got one too (at about the same time like you), that's two. I know a few people who got theirs earlier with the developer code aswell.
Originally Posted by JPB
For example lots of people here try to compare it with a stand alone PDA or want to turn it into a PDA loaded with a lot of programs. However I believe it is made to acess all the new online applications and work in combination with your Nokia phone.
Good point.

The 770 was the right device for me because I wanted a portable device that enabled me to read electronic documents (pdf's, html; ebooks, API's, howto's, courses, ...) and the 770 with its 800x480 screen was the perfect solution.

Ordered mine on the 4th (Friday) got it on the 8th (Tuesday).
Order no 200375 to the UK.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
Mine was 200087, ordered Thursday evening (3rd), UPS somehow lost the adreslabel ;-(
Thus I got it on Tuesday 8th.

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Brussels
Ah, interesting:
My Order number is : 200702 SO - order date 05/11/05

Item N0 0279325 (BE,NL;CH,LU) SU-18
It is also interesting that I have a Qwerty keyboard but in Belgium the standard is Azerty.