Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
You can get slowish but usable connection speeds via Cingular's GPRS network. Found the settings that worked for my bluetooth paired RAZR V3.

This is assuming you've successfully paired your Cell phone via the Bluetooth connection Wizard to the point that you can browse the files on the cell and transfer files but still can't get an internet connection.

1) Go to Control Panel
2) Select the "Connectivity" icon
3) Select the "Connections" button
4) Create a "New" Connection or "Edit" the one you created when you tried to do your Bluetooth Pairing with your Cell phone via the Wizard
(Mine failed using just the Wizard as the 770 didn't come with pre-configured settings for any U.S. Cell carriers, looked like it was a European one).
5) Give your connection profile an appropriate name and select the "Packet data" option
6) Enter the following information (case sensitive):
Access point name: wap.cingular
Dial-up number: *99#
User name: WAP.CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
7) You don't have to mess around with the advanced settings.
8) That's it, there's no part 8. It started to work immediately for me. Pretty slick.

Remember Cingular charges about $0.01/Kbyte of data if you don't have a particular data plan. Wouldn't be doing any heavy duty graphics intensive browsing unless you have alot of cash to burn or a really high capacity data plan. It's not fast, but more than servicable for text based stuff and e-mail.

Dave

Why not just go to Control Panel->Tools->Mobile Operator Setup Wizard and choose United States - Cingular?

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Wizard worked for me, in New Jersey, which has failed to secede from the United States.

Mine didn't have Cingular listed as a provider (not that I noticed anyways), maybe there are several versions of the 770 default firmware/settings out there? Well, glad yours worked out of the box. Hopefully this is of use to someone who wants to set things manually then.

Dave

Just received mine(from CompUSA Indy). I do not have the 'Control Panel->Tools->Mobile Operator Setup Wizard' option. My version number is 2.2005.45-7

Last edited by jrac; 2005-12-06 at 03:01.

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
When you click on the Applications icon in the Taskbar Navigator -- the lefthand sidebar, the third icon down -- you choose Control Panel from the menu. Then with the control panels on-screen, the menu that appears in the Application title area is the Control Panel menu.

i got it. i am an idiot. BTW, this thing is great.

Posts: 190 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Bee-u-tee-ful Garden Home, Oregon
jrac-

and not to be an idiot (or state the obvious) - you know there is a newer version available, right? (it wasn't 100% clear to me at first, to be honest).

I wasn't sure but upgraded and ended up with 2.2005.45-8

Yup, looks like 2.2005.45-8 is the current latest version. Applications crash a bit less for me with -8 vs the -7 that I got with the phone and the WiFi connection with my WRT-54G (running hacked Sveasoft firmware) is much more stable.

BTW, I did finally find that GPRS configuration wizard you all were referring to, it's a bit buried, but yes it did have settings for Cingular in the US. I continue to use my settings as posted above b/c that is working for me. Speeds are NOT great, but then again, it is just GPRS not Edge or something fast/3G like that.

Dave

The Following User Says Thank You to DaveC For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=DaveC]You can get slowish but usable connection speeds via Cingular's GPRS network. Found the settings that worked for my bluetooth paired RAZR V3.

Did you have to do anything special to get the 770 to pair with the RAZR? I've tried 2 different RAZRs, but can get the 770 to finish pairing. The RAZR says "pin accepted and saved", but then I get a "service discovery failed" message on the 770. The connection works fine on my Treo 650.

Thanks,

Ron