Active Topics

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
I've been waiting patiently, but WHAT is up with the version id's for the A/V packages in Maemo Extras that are massive?!

I'm taking about things like:

"faad" with a version ID of
"2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp+0umbuntu6maemo1"

All it's missing is a "+hi+mom!"

App Manager gives the version column priority for display and you can't change the column widths, so that leaves you with an package name column that's rapidly about to dissapear!

Ug... sorry to *****, but the maintainer on the package is an email address to a mailing list... so where can we even comment? Maemo bugzilla?

The Following User Says Thank You to Moonshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
A first investigation, it seems what the maintainers are canola team. liblightmediascanner0 depends on libmp4v2-0 and libmp4v2-0 is in faad2.

Well, if you have the application manager in blue pill mode, you don't see this packages.

The Following User Says Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by yerga View Post
A first investigation, it seems what the maintainers are canola team. liblightmediascanner0 depends on libmp4v2-0 and libmp4v2-0 is in faad2.

Well, if you have the application manager in blue pill mode, you don't see this packages.
Thanks! I'll drop them a line.

Blue pill mode? What fun is that...

Originally Posted by yerga View Post
Not to mention that this isn't really a bug in the mentioned packages: stupid maybe, but not a bug.... Application Manager not being able to keep the name column visible is a bug.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
"faad" with a version ID of
"2.0.0+cvs20040908+mp4v2+bmp+0umbuntu6maemo1"
- that code is either rock solid or really, really out of date!

:-)

+1 on this - I now can't even SEE the names of apps because of this. App manager should be able to move the columns.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Workaround: Don't use red pill mode. Seriously, just use apt-get from the command line if you're installing something that requires it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
+1 for johnx

The over-reliance on Red Pill Mode by "power" users is a recipe for disaster, and a source of laziness on the part of packagers. Only today I saw that the Jalimo packages provide a one-click install, but you must be in Red Pill Mode. Sheesh.

The Following User Says Thank You to aflegg For This Useful Post:
It's possible to get round this by going to full screen mode (you get about 10 characters of the application name). However this is only by good luck (that the FAAD developers didn't use longer version names). As is the suggestion to use blue pill mode: sooner or later, someone's going to create a blue-pill installable application with a _really_ long version name, and render application manager unusable.
I've submitted a bugzilla request (3231), let's see if anyone can fix it - it looks like it should be a 5-minute fix if you know the code base, but even figuring out where the source code resides seems like a full-day job, so I've given up on it.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by urilabob View Post
I've submitted a bugzilla request (3231), let's see if anyone can fix it - it looks like it should be a 5-minute fix if you know the code base, but even figuring out where the source code resides seems like a full-day job, so I've given up on it.
Hi again.

There's actually two existing bugs on the subject (bug #2959 and bug #2998), so I've marked it as duplicate (please remember to search when submitting new bugs ).

The updated version of Application manager is already available in svn if that sort of thing appeals to you, but it will be shipping with Diablo.