Hello friends,

I think N900 has a different perspective of groups.

It groups the contacs automatically, based on some criteria, i.e. the type of communicaton: Yahoo contacts, Google contacts, Skype Contacts, Facebook contacts and so on (and a special group: SIM card contacts).

Don't get me wrong, I also miss the confort of 'real' groups, and yes, I know this is far from what other Nokia phones (N95, N97, E66 etc.) are offering, but it's a start.

If I want to see only friends, I select "YM" contacts. If I want to see only best friends, I select "Facebook". If I want to see business contacts, I select "Skype". If I want to see only family, i select SIM (I keep a backup there for family numbers, in order to use them in another phone when my battery dies).

However, sending SMS to entire groups is not possible with N900, at least not yet.
Also, there is no way of displaying only phone contacts (and not IM/Skype/Facebook contacts) without disabling temporarily IM accounts on the phone.

Last edited by silkworm; 2010-06-28 at 23:19.

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by silkworm View Post
Hello friends,

I think N900 has a different perspective of groups.

It groups the contacs automatically, based on some criteria, i.e. the type of communicaton: Yahoo contacts, Google contacts, Skype Contacts, Facebook contacts and so on (and a special group: SIM card contacts).

Don't get me wrong, I also miss the confort of 'real' groups, and yes, I know this is far from what other Nokia phones (N95, N97, E66 etc.) are offering, but it's a start.

If I want to see only friends, I select "YM" contacts. If I want to see only best friends, I select "Facebook". If I want to see business contacts, I select "Skype". If I want to see only family, i select SIM (I keep a backup there for family numbers, in order to use them in another phone when my battery dies).

However, sending SMS to entire groups is not possible with N900, at least not yet.
Also, there is no way of displaying only phone contacts (and not IM/Skype/Facebook contacts) without disabling temporarily IM accounts on the phone.
Just throwing a little advertisement for my application: I have a view for "just contacts with phone", one for "just contacts with email", and one just for contacts with thumbnails... Also allow for some grouping and even custom ring tones per group... It is far from the "real groups" but it is my attempt to lessen the pain.

The new version with the "phone" view will be out later today... I will post on the announcement thread when it happens.

p.s. The application does not change the contacts database, it saves the extra layer (group information) to a separate file.

EDIT: I am sorry I didn't remember I had posted here already about my application... Didn't mean to create noise....

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-06-28 at 23:32.

I seriously don't understand what is so hard about adding a group feature to the address book program... If someone help me get started, then I'll figure out how to write the code.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
So, this is still hardly resolved, is it?
What I'd really love is to select 15-20 contacts (= a group of them) with one click for sending them the same sms.
Is there any app that can do this? If I'm not mistaken, the issue has been out there pretty much since day 1 (see date of first post), surely someone must have started looking into it by now?

Last edited by bennypr0fane; 2010-11-15 at 13:19.