agree with that one 100%. Stupid that this is not part of the default setup. Is this a Nokia or not?

I think it would be great to see grouping visually, too, in the contacts view.

But I also have a second group. SIM card contacts....

Bret

Originally Posted by bretti_kivi View Post
agree with that one 100%. Stupid that this is not part of the default setup. Is this a Nokia or not?
lol. Hard to believe but it is a Nokia even the phone aspect has less features than 10 year old Nokias.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Hello Maemo Comunity! :-)

I installed Maemo on VM to get more familar with my posibble new Device. Just a litte bit playing around I wonderes that there could be no posibility to group the Contacts?

Is it possible or not?

At my N95 I've got Groups for Friendy, Collegs, Doctors and Family.

A Tag Clound like at the Images would be great. But I could'nt find it! :-(

cu
Helmuth
I agree it is a major ommission from a great device. I got around it by typing numbers separated by semi-colon of particular groups into a note and saving it. When I wanted to contact a group I just opened the applicable note copied and pasted numbers into the "To" section on a new sms.

Originally Posted by nwhitfield View Post
That, for me, is the deal breaker that presently stops me from buying an N900.

I played with one in the Regent Street store earlier today, and was impressed - the keyboard was much better than I expected.

But, I use my phone for both business, and personal, with contact groups that give me different ring tones, so I know what sort of caller it is before looking at the screen. And I use profiles (with handy profile on the N95) to control who can reach me - during the night, the phone is always on, but the profile allows only callers in the VIP and Family group to reach me.

I don't want to have to go back to switching the phone off at night, or to have a separate phone for different people.

For me, profiles with grouped contacts and selectable alerts are one of the most important telephony features - essential for the way I work.
Same for me, but unfortunately I already bough it, I couldn't imagine or even have a thought that a phone like this won't have as such a simple but life saving feature. I will try to change it for another model if they agree in the shop tomorrow.

The n900 is a mobile computer that can make calls. Don't get it confused. If it's not for you, don't gripe about it, just move onto a phone that suits your needs.

If you really cared, that is something someone could easily program into the phone. You just need to find a developer that's willing to put in the time to do it.

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Spr33 View Post
The n900 is a mobile computer that can make calls. Don't get it confused. If it's not for you, don't gripe about it, just move onto a phone that suits your needs.
Of course, that's the standard response whenever someone brings up one of these shortcomings of the device..

.. but it's an utterly foolish response. Any mobile computer that can make calls should be far and away more capable at this kind of fine-grained functionality than any stupid old smartphone; a Nokia mobile computer that can make calls even more so.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
Of course, that's the standard response whenever someone brings up one of these shortcomings of the device..

.. but it's an utterly foolish response. Any mobile computer that can make calls should be far and away more capable at this kind of fine-grained functionality than any stupid old smartphone; a Nokia mobile computer that can make calls even more so.
Depends on if the people working on the OS are more interested in the computer side or the phone side. Given the history of maemo, I say it's more on the computer side. And there aren't many instances of grouping contacts (besides email). Though as the maemo (well now meego) team gets more developers and more devices are sold then I imagine they'll start considering the phone side more often.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Spr33 View Post

If you really cared, that is something someone could easily program into the phone. You just need to find a developer that's willing to put in the time to do it.
What a strange reply, I could understand your logic if this phone was from a small outfit just entering the market, but it's a Nokia.and is generally supplied by mobile phone service providers not tablet pc providers.

So it isn't beyond the realm of reason to expect certain core functions to be present, I've had the phone for 5 weeks and it's good except that the 3G signal is mostly non existent and 2G is all over the place, there are one or two other quirks but they are not sufficient to warrant a gripe

Yet a 3 year old N95 is bullet proof re the signal, so this one is going back, hopefully the replacement N900 will be fit for purpose, if not my 11 year love affair with Nokia may well be over

Originally Posted by shugg View Post
What a strange reply, I could understand your logic if this phone was from a small outfit just entering the market, but it's a Nokia.and is generally supplied by mobile phone service providers not tablet pc providers.

So it isn't beyond the realm of reason to expect certain core functions to be present, I've had the phone for 5 weeks and it's good except that the 3G signal is mostly non existent and 2G is all over the place, there are one or two other quirks but they are not sufficient to warrant a gripe

Yet a 3 year old N95 is bullet proof re the signal, so this one is going back, hopefully the replacement N900 will be fit for purpose, if not my 11 year love affair with Nokia may well be over
That would be true if it weren't for the Maemo team working on the 770, N800, N810, and N900. It's roots are historically more computer hence Maemo developers focusing on that aspect, now that Nokia plans on making it more mainstream I expect they'll also pay more attention to aspects most phones are.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Has anyone found a way to group contacts in PR1.2?
This is really the last thing I'm missing on my mobile computer with a call function in it.