Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
^that is good to know...

Another cheap way is to purchase a used Nextel Bluetooth phone on Ebay and use a pre-paid Boost SIM in it. You will then be able to access iDEN's 19.2 kbit/s DPD network for $0 a day.
That sounds good but iden/boost/nextel is not aeound in meny places. But verizon QNC works also . And after 9:01 pm it's free . But why connect that slow when you can get 115KB/s or faster . I have found that the e815 and the v710 are the eastest to get to work no matter what prepaid you use . even ecallplus.com works for QNC but is 5 Cents a min .. but when just checking email and lite browsing it's all good .

computerfreek

Another cheap way is to purchase a used Nextel Bluetooth phone on Ebay and use a pre-paid Boost SIM in it. You will then be able to access iDEN's 19.2 kbit/s DPD network for $0 a day.
What's the difference between free service and the 35 cents a day "Wireless Web" option on Boost, aside from cost?

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Originally Posted by dblank View Post
What's the difference between free service and the 35 cents a day "Wireless Web" option on Boost, aside from cost?
There is no free service per say. You can pay for wireless web and get access to a web browser where you can type in URLs, or else you get a browser where you can't type in URLs (so you can't surf the web; with their browser at least). But either way data service is active, it is needed for the web based text messaging.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by dblank View Post
The socket...

The "free Net" is actually always on. The iDEN network uses digital data packets to communicate with the phone for some text messages ("Net alerts") and its voice mail notification.
Using the hack shown >> HERE << you are piggybacking on to the connection. It is the same connection you use with the phones built in WAP browser that usually just shows carrier specific bookmarks.

However, for 35 cents a day Boost will open another connection that will allow JAVA apps access to the net. This a completely different connection and actually works independent of the Bluetooth connection.

That is, I can browse where I want with the tablet AND open a JAVA instance of Opera's browser and browse to a completely different site independently.

Without the 35 cents a day the Opera app will not connect. The tablet via BT will still work though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Without the 35 cents a day the Opera app will not connect. The tablet via BT will still work though.
So if I don't care about JAVA apps having network access on the phone, there's really no point in enabling Wireless Web?

I'm surprised they aren't blocking what hosts you can connect to, or at least ports.

They'll probably start once I get an iDEN phone

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
The socket...

The "free Net" is actually always on. The iDEN network uses digital data packets to communicate with the phone for some text messages ("Net alerts") and its voice mail notification.
Using the hack shown >> HERE << you are piggybacking on to the connection. It is the same connection you use with the phones built in WAP browser that usually just shows carrier specific bookmarks.

However, for 35 cents a day Boost will open another connection that will allow JAVA apps access to the net. This a completely different connection and actually works independent of the Bluetooth connection.

That is, I can browse where I want with the tablet AND open a JAVA instance of Opera's browser and browse to a completely different site independently.

I don't pay the 35 cent a day web access and all my JAVA apps connect to the net. I use Opera all the time on my Boost phone.

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Using the hack shown >> HERE << you are piggybacking on to the connection.
Am I understanding that using this connection doesn't count against your minutes?

---------------------------------------------

How exactly do you get $0 on the data plan with Boost Mobile?
I just checked and the PayGo Basic plan charges $0.35 a day
for Web access....
Thanks,
Steven

^that is good to know...

How exactly do you get $0 a day with BoostMobile?
I just checked their PayGo Basic Plan and they
charge $0.35 per day for Web Access.
Thanks,
Steven

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
How exactly do you get $0 a day with BoostMobile?
I just checked their PayGo Basic Plan and they
charge $0.35 per day for Web Access.
Thanks,
Steven

You don't have to "get" it. It just is.
Please read this thread and its links...

Edit: A member who successfully followed these instructions reports his experience >> HERE << in his c\net blog.

Last edited by YoDude; 2008-03-02 at 00:08.