Originally Posted by Prozac786 View Post
2. Display Now I do not see how this is even a possible comparison, put an N9 next to an S2 and the display is so obviously superior in the S2. But let's not go for user perception, I will outline the facts once again.

SGS2 Super AMOLED Plus display, known to be the best display at its time of release, surpassed only by the Super AMOLED Plus HD display.

N9, even though launched many months after the S2, comes with an outdated OLED display.

The display in the S2 is again far far superior technology.

Now granted the N9 has a higher PPI (251) vs the S2 (218), but that is not because it has a better display, the display technology used in the S2 is much more superior to that of the N9, but being a bigger display (4.3) vs the N9 (3.9) it has a lower PPI as pixels are spread over a larger screen size. I have yet to see where this makes a significant difference, but yes the N9 does have better PPI, not a better display.
Are you aware of the difference between a SAMOLED and AMOLED? The only difference is the integration of touch panel in the screen. CBD is newer technology actually, with it's polarizing filter.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by patlak View Post
Are you aware of the difference between a SAMOLED and AMOLED? The only difference is the integration of touch panel in the screen. CBD is newer technology actually, with it's polarizing filter.
Yes I am aware and no it is not the only difference, but yes the main difference is the integration of the touch panel as you have outlined. However that same difference is what makes the display superior.

For example, the Super AMOLED Displays have only one touch sensitive layer as opposed to the several layers (with air in between) in the standard AMOLED displays.

This is a key difference, as it means Super AMOLED displays are much sharper than standard AMOLED displays and are also more brighter as well (up to 20% more), again these facts are verifiable.

That is the difference between AMOLED vs Super AMOLED, showing Super AMOLED with its one touch sensitive layer offers a better, brighter, sharper display than the standard AMOLED in the N9, so the one difference you have outlined actually makes the Super AMOLED a better display.

The SGS2 however has a Super AMOLED Plus Display. The Plus is the key point. This technology allows the Super AMOLED Plus Display to offer more sub pixels than the Super AMOLED displays, (around 50% more sub pixels). Which again directly improves the sharpness of the display itself.

The Super AMOLED Plus displays are also brighter, thinner and more power efficient (by around 18%) compared to Super AMOLED Displays.

So the N9, has the standard AMOLED Display, despite the Super AMOLED display already being introduced in the SGS1 (which is already a big enough improvement to be considered a better display).

After this, it was further improved and introduced as the Super AMOLED Plus display in the SGS2, which is an even bigger improvement than its predecessor in terms of sharpness, brightness and power efficiency.

Again proving the S2 has a better display.

Last edited by Prozac786; 2012-03-27 at 14:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Haters gonna hate, also fanboys

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Haters gonna hate, also fanboys
Lol I was waiting for someone to post this. But remember, that comment can also be applied to your views as well of the SGS2.

I at least an owned the N900 and the N9 but also bothered to experiment with the iPhone 4 and SGS2 to compare what was available to me. Shows I was open minded enough to check out the competition instead of blindly believing my N900 is the greatest discovery of mankind. This is what helped me discover the SGS2 in the first place. And why choose one phone when I can have the best of both Meego Harmattan and Android, which is why I keep both the N9 and the S2.

I wasn't criticizing the N9 to be a bad phone in any way, if you read my whole post you would see how much I loved it and thats why I bought it even though I've had the SGS2 for almost a year and clearly prefer that device, couldn't resist buying the White N9 because of its seriously unique design.

What I was doing is answering the OPs question about which is better for developement and hardware does play a big part in it, so I pointed out how the SGS2 has much better hardware than the N9 as well as a bigger development community for it. Also that the S2 has full support not only from its much larger community but also from its manufacturer and OS whereas the N9 does not. Fact. Not my belief or opinion, pure fact.

This is all completely true, I just pointed out the facts which will still be the same even if I didn't own either of these devices or any smartphone. So I'm just saying what's real and being impartial about it.

It makes you the hater and the fanboy lol... for just blindly believing your device is superior in every way to all others just because you like it.

As I've already said, your preferances are your own and you should always chose the phone that suits you, I can see many reasons why people would choose the N9 over other devices and I can also see many reasons why people would not buy the N9. It all varies from user to user, so I wasn't criticizing the device itself.

So if you prefer the N9 that's fine and that's your choice. I prefer to own both. I wasn't criticizing either choices

I just stuck to facts that were relevant to the OP's questions and answered them with actual proof of what is relevant and true.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
@Prozac786

There are AMOLED screens brighter than SAMOLED. N9 is such a case. Screen brightness is a changing variable and was a pure marketing stunt for the new screen. Nokia fixed everything with a polarizing filter, sunlight visibility, contrast, 2.5D effect on a curved glass screen, etc. SAMOLED Plus has a full stripe and that is an improvement compared to pentile. However, older Nokia Amoled devices had full striped screens, so no new tech, AGAIN. You wanna see a brightness difference, compare Lumia 800 with the N9.

Last edited by patlak; 2012-03-27 at 16:39.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
You are not comparing technologies, but marketing gimmicks.

Both GS and N9 have polarizing filters, just Samsung does not advertise it.
Also Nokia also has striped RGB screens (E7) but they don't advertise it.

They chose pentile because they can't fit so many pixels in 3.9 inches with stripe (that's why SGS2 is .3 inches bigger)

Brightness is superior for the N9 (second brighter AMOLED phone after X7)

The N900 is about two times darker than the N9 and iPhone 4 but go out in direct sunlight and compare them. (spoiler, they have about the same visibility - the reason I will leave as a quiz)

There is much on screen technologies going on, and finally it boils down to a matter of preference because there is a spectrum of possible things and most manufacturers just pick the point they like. Top 2011 phones simply can't be compared in screen technology

every one of them is great in one spec and low in others or about average everywhere.

(only the Lumia 800 is kind of low everywhere)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-03-27 at 19:27. Reason: wrong data (N900 is two, not four times darker)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Hmmm,yup, provided the Samsung lasts as long - durability, esp in tropical weather above 28 degree C all year long. But then, if one is rich enough to buy a couple of high end phones,it wouldnt be big deal just to buy another one if it gets broken/spoilt.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Both GS and N9 have polarizing filters, just Samsung does not advertise it.
Also Nokia also has striped RGB screens (E7) but they don't advertise it.
"New tech" is the word he used and likes, so I used it also
Never really knew that GS2 has a polarizing filter, seems quite worse at sunlight, must be the brightness then. N900 is using one also.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
@Prozac786

There are AMOLED screens brighter than SAMOLED. N9 is such a case. Screen brightness is a changing variable and was a pure marketing stunt for the new screen. Nokia fixed everything with a polarizing filter, sunlight visibility, contrast, 2.5D effect on a curved glass screen, etc. SAMOLED Plus has a full stripe and that is an improvement compared to pentile. However, older Nokia Amoled devices had full striped screens, so no new tech, AGAIN. You wanna see a brightness difference, compare Lumia 800 with the N9.
I wasn't just talking about brightness alone, I mentioned many points and you are just constantly picking out at one thing, the purpose of my hardware comparison was made clear several times and was in relation to the OP's request of what is a better development device, hardware plays a big part in development so I made those comparisons.

This is just going off topic now constantly going on about the display. I own both devices and I can clearly see that the S2's display is a lot better than the N9's, alot sharper and brighter too.

But if you feel differently fair enough. I'll leave it at that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
stop debating, sgs2 is better, n9 has better design and best OS, thats it,

Tags
n9 is pretty