Notices

Here is how I organized and carried out a post-new year (2013) gathering of my friends using the N900.

First, I composed the invitation email using Opera Mobile 10 and gmail. On the day of the gathering, I used SMS and voice to receive updates on the invitee’s arrivals, and keep in touch so I could get them through security.

To accompany the ethnic food I was presenting, I wanted to play some music and show a video and some photos. To that end I first turned on the big screen Sony TV I had at my disposal using Peirogi. The remote control was nowhere to be seen, and, it being a communal room, it tends to be missing or not working a lot of the time, and it’s perhaps more hygienic to use your own.

I then plugged the N900 into the TV using the cable that the N900 comes with. I played the music (which I had transferred from the CDs) using the built-in Media Player; the volume had to be turned way up (Pierogi helped again here), but the sound did eventually come from the speakers.

I then switched to the Photos application, flipping through the photos I had taken with blessN900. The music was still playing, and I also switched to the dashboard several times to read and respond to the SMS messages from the late arrivals.

I wanted to play a video as well. It had been filmed years ago with an analog camera and transferred to a DVD (and then to the N900 by me), but it would not play smoothly using the Media Player. A few days later I installed mplayer and the SiB interface, which made the video play correctly (though not every time; occasionally the audio and the video go out of sync).

Once I ran out of multimedia to present, I continued to show off the phone with espeak command line (the whisper voice is especially eerie), espeak GUI client, Numpty Physics, Stellarium, Attitude…I forgot to try to shoot a video of the party while showing the video, as it was being filmed, on the big screen. I could have also used PresenceVNC to connect to my office desktop, but the 3G signal was not that great there.

The story has an anti-climatic ending, though, because, once the show was over and I was shutting down the applications (with some switching between them), the desktop froze and the phone had to be shut down using the long press on the power button.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Nice story!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post: