Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
http://gizmodo.com/5047798/blindingl...-creator-of-t9

Also known as ShapeWriter, it looks brilliant to me.

Has anyone tried it?

That looks like really nice input method!

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
A little too much magic. I would like to see some non-trained users take a shot at it.

Fixing spelling too... that will become very popular. I could imagine people wanting such a thing just for their computer keyboards. He said he did 55 wpm which is faster than many can type.

Really neat concept.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't believe that typing with a stylus can be almost as fast as typing with ten fingers.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I don't believe that typing with a stylus can be almost as fast as typing with ten fingers.
you are right: 40 vs 60 per minute
but this method is for on-the-go; while ten-finger-typing is for sitting.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Swype seems too cool for believeing. But if its really workaable as the demo showed, then it will (or should) spread to many mobile devices. The Nokia N800 sometime ?

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Canada
it is obviously good for typing words. there should be a words database to support it. i do not think it is good for typing random thing like HGIKDHSJKIHU. it will try to look in the database to match that, and give something un-wanted.
with the help of others and my effort to google internet, I solved some confusions. this is my experience.

Originally Posted by jayden View Post
it is obviously good for typing words. there should be a words database to support it. i do not think it is good for typing random thing like HGIKDHSJKIHU. it will try to look in the database to match that, and give something un-wanted.
In addition to that, any technical use of the keyboard, such as typing bash commands. I can only imagine what it would try to substitute for "ps -ax |grep foo"

could be fun to play with, for about a minute.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
I bet you could use it to just type text like with the current on-screen keyboard.