Notices

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
QML Browser has been around for a while, but now that it is more functional, I decided to give it its own thread.

QML Browser is a web browser written in QML, using the Qt Components Hildon APIs. Specifically, the UI utilises the org.hildon.components module, whilst the browser code uses components from org.hildon.webkit. The UI is modelled on MicroB (may as well copy the best ).

Version 0.6.0 of QML Browser is available from extras-devel. The source code is published at https://github.com/marxoft/qml-browser. The source code for Qt Components Hildon is published at https://github.com/marxoft/qt-components-hildon.

Features currently implemented:
  • Multiple browser windows.
  • Bookmarks.
  • Recent/complete browsing history, with access via swipe from right.
  • Text selection using a mouse pointer (swipe from left to show the pointer).
  • Zoom using swirl gesture or double-tap (needs fine-tuning).
  • Find on page.
  • Standard keyboard shortcuts for new window, reload, show/add bookmarks, find on page, copy/cut/paste.
  • Configurable search engines. Search engines can be added in the UI, or by manually editing /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/searchengines.conf.
  • Custom URL handlers. Handlers can be added in the UI, or by manually editing /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/urlhandlers.conf.
  • Download management.
  • View source.

Some features not yet implemented:
  • Activate links using the mouse pointer.

Some screenshots:

Adding search engines manually.

The config file for search engines uses the following format:

Code:
[Display Name]
icon=searchengineicon.jpg // optional
url=http://searchengine.com/search?q=%QUERY%
Adding URL handlers manually.

The config file for URL handlers uses the following format:

Code:
[Display Name]
regExp=http(s|)://somewebsite.com/.+ // Used for matching links
command=my_application --do_stuff %URL% // Executed when a matching link is clicked
The command can be anything you like (invoke application, custom script, dbus-send etc).

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2014-08-21 at 23:12. Reason: Features added

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Really impressive! Nice job!

(using qml-browser)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Can it run firefox web apps ?? There are some awsome webapps there

i am currently using cssu stable and tried to install qml browser but i got this error

Selecting previously deselected package qml-browser.
(Reading database ... 29938 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking qml-browser (from qml-browser_0.4.0_armel.deb) ...
Setting up qml-browser (0.4.0) ...
-sh: can't create /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/searchengines.conf: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing qml-browser (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
qml-browser

The Following User Says Thank You to mayhem For This Useful Post:
Do you think it is possible to customize the main bar buttons or add missing actions to a submenu that substitutes the back arrow? In that way the left finger would manage reload, new tab..ecc..

Out of curiosity:
I have always wondered if instead double click to zoom the full web page just to click on the proper page number of a thread... it would be possible to manage a "one click and half action" to zoom just a zone of a web page using some kind of lense effect with a crossair to pick the right link..
Probably the development effort would be much more than the advantages, but i have always asked myself why no one is using such kind of trick into mobile devices.

Last edited by xes; 2014-07-28 at 12:36.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by xes View Post
I have always wondered if instead double click to zoom the full web page just to click on the proper page number of a thread... it would be possible to manage a "one click and half action" to zoom just a zone of a web page using some kind of lense effect with a crossair to pick the right link..
I've noticed that Google Chrome on Android does exactly this whenever you tap on a region of a page with multiple links close together. (They don't have a crosshair, but otherwise it works the way you describe.) I dunno if other browsers have this feature...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
This is great, I'll give it a spin. I hadn't used it since 0.1 since it was very bare-bones but quick, lets see if it's better now.

The Following User Says Thank You to jessi3k3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Can it run firefox web apps ?? There are some awsome webapps there
I don't know much about those, but I would expect they would require a Mozilla browser to run them as-is.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
i am currently using cssu stable and tried to install qml browser but i got this error

Selecting previously deselected package qml-browser.
(Reading database ... 29938 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking qml-browser (from qml-browser_0.4.0_armel.deb) ...
Setting up qml-browser (0.4.0) ...
-sh: can't create /home/user/.config/QMLBrowser/searchengines.conf: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing qml-browser (--install):
subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
qml-browser
The postinst script attempts to create the file as user, so it sounds like the permissions of your .config directory have been changed.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Do you think it is possible to customize the main bar buttons or add missing actions to a submenu that substitutes the back arrow? In that way the left finger would manage reload, new tab..ecc..
Well, there are keyboard shortcuts for those actions. If you are going to raise a submenu from the toolbar, then that would be no more efficient that raising the main application menu and choosing the action from there.

Out of curiosity:
Probably the development effort would be much more than the advantages, but i have always asked myself why no one is using such kind of trick into mobile devices.
Like Opera Mobile? To be honest, I have found that to be one it's more irritating features. No matter how precisely I tap on a link/button, Opera Mobile nearly always forces me to tap it again after zooming in. It's the new 'clippy'.

However, it is possible to do it, though it would require some more features of QtWebKit to be exposed to QML (which I intend to do anyway). It can be done by intercepting the tap and performing a hit test to check what content exists at the position where the tap occured.

My website

GitHub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, components, hildon, maemo 5, web browser