Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Look what me found on da internet

First video involving Sailfish 2.0.0.10?

Hope you like it!
Great video (I really appreciate the effort with SSH and the triple touch device )!

So basically 1.1.7 is much more optimized than both 1.1.9 and 2.0.0, with 2.0.0 being a slight improvement over 1.1.9 (so that's why people were reporting that 2.0.0 feels faster, as no-one upgraded straight from 1.1.7 to 2.0.0).

It is not really a surprise to me, as 2.0.0 is the first release where I am experiencing total freezes like in the video (for the first time in almost two years I've been using my Jolla for).

Just in the last two days, the phone completely froze twice:
  1. the only solution was pulling out the battery - not even SSH would react
  2. SSH didn't react either, but after a few minutes (while I'm writing this post), lipstick crashed by itself, so that "fixed" it

I wasn't using any Android apps (and don't have any allowed to run as background services) - only 3-4 native apps at the time. I wasn't running any video either (playing videos was a likely cause to aggressive OOM behavior in 1.1.9), so it is quite worrying.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
So basically 1.1.7 is much more optimized than both
That is the danger when users try to do videos with technical appearance
Turns out the graph is missleading if you compare 1.0 and 2.0 UI!

Joona Petrell some minutes ago as a comment to the video:
In Sailfish 2.0 the compositor went through quite a big rewrite, the figures between the old and new homescreen are not really comparable. The root issue is with the frame rate display component, not in the general performance of the OS. The frame rate graph causes homescreen to constantly draw, which normally doesn't happen when the app is in the foreground. It puts the system in the composition mode where we give priority to homescreen, not the app. We should get our performance tooling in better shape, sorry.
This early morning i already got a tweet from stskeeps remarking that "frame meter makes the device render 60fps all the time and is not indicative of actual use"

Now that we know, it is still safe to compare startup times and multitasking behaviour from the video between 1.1.9 and 2.0.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
I don't think the fps really matters as we saw old 1.1.7 opening/loading apps faster than 1.1.9 and 2.0

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

Absolutely agree! It looks nice indeed [USB connection dialogue]. So much more professional.
That and the "Connect to internet" dialog.
What would be really professional is if they fixed it to work properly and consistently. It still doesn't. The UI improvement is moot whilst that remains the case.

A dress heel put paid to my N5 (RIP), so unfortunately I'm back on the Jolla for now. As predicted, the lack of OOM-killing didn't last ... it's back to doing it all the time, though still not quite as disruptive as 1.1.7 or 1.1.9

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
I don't think the fps really matters as we saw old 1.1.7 opening/loading apps faster than 1.1.9 and 2.0
FPS generally hasn't been an issue since they replaced the renderer just under a year ago. Even whilst the phone was working nominally, you used to get huge frame drops and (screen) freezes before that. It's been smoothish since. Now the phone will freeze a lot still, but it isn't the renderer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
So quiet here...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
So quiet here...
Well I think it's good!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
Well I think it's good!
It is, no bugs to shout/cry/be angry about (praise doesn't come as easy as outrage, then again you have that one guy reporting battery and oom issues this will have to do)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by catbus View Post
So quiet here...
Either it's got less critical bugs or less critical users.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Either it's got less critical bugs or less critical users.
I love the ambiguity in your post. Did you mean less or fewer?

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: