Posts: 65 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by black View Post
Hi,

I would like to report a couple bugs on the N9, I haven't seen anyone mentioning the use of SIP on the N9, but it is something I use a lot, so it is an annoying for me.

1. I imported contacts from the N900, where I had several SIP numbers. These were all missing after the transfer, if there were other numbers for the contact with the SIP number. For contacts with just a SIP number the imported contact profile was empty.
Well actually it's a "feature"... When importing contacts from another device, we don't know how to link IM details (SIP etc.) to existing accounts. Who tells me that the SIP identifier I received is valid in a SIP account on device?

2. when I manually added the SIP number to the appropriate field, saving the contact and then open the profile, the toolbar for calling or sending IM messages to this SIP number is missing. This occurs when adding the SIP number to a contact with other numbers or skype. Also when I click to edit the contact, the SIP field is empty?!
Toolbar missing -> that does not seem right :/ SIP is probably less tested, but I don't observe this issue on my phone, with 2 SIP accounts. It might either be a bug that does not happen in my setup, or one that was fixed (added a SIP number on a local-gtalk-skype merged contact).

In the editor, you will never see any existing online accounts, those are visible in the "unmerge" view (not very intuitive :-/).

3. after creating a new SIP (only) contact, the SIP call and IM toolbar is there, but when I want to edit the same contact, the SIP filed is again empty.
Same reason as above, you cannot edit the SIP number. You need to delete and recreate it. In the same way, you can't edit the GTalk/Skype ID of someone. The way the N900 dealt with that was I think easier to understand.

The N900 had issues with incoming calls for one of the SIP providers I use, but this is not an issue on the N9, which makes me very happy. On the other hand, the handling of SIP contact numbers is worse than it was on the N900?! There the number was always displayed and could be edited at will.
The UI design for online accounts is in my opinion too quite contrived...

In the end, I would like to ask, why it is not possible to send SIP IM messages to the mobile phone numbers I have for a contact, but I can call the numbers through SIP (there is no icon for IM on the toolbar when opening a contact profile, just call through SIP) ? I can send IM messages to the same number through my SIP account, if I save the same number as a SIP username.

I am guessing not many use SIP, but I use it daily.
Not possible to send messages to a phone number: because we don't assume that every phone number is a valid SIP identifier. How would that work by the way, convert it to SMS?

There are two distinct things on a contact card:
1. A "call with SIP" item that is shown for every phone number, same as "call with skype". That is for every contact, no matter if it has a SIP account or not.
2. The SIP "toolbar" with call/message for contacts that do have a SIP account (no matter if it has a phone number or not)

I'm not sure if we show the "call with sip" button for phone numbers only if the SIP server advertises the "call out" feature or not.

I hope this clarifies things for you, feel free to ask back if I left anything out

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abustany View Post
Well actually it's a "feature"... When importing contacts from another device, we don't know how to link IM details (SIP etc.) to existing accounts. Who tells me that the SIP identifier I received is valid in a SIP account on device?
Alright, but I am not a fan. Don't like it when a device tries to be smarter than me...

In the editor, you will never see any existing online accounts, those are visible in the "unmerge" view (not very intuitive :-/).
actually, it is a bit more funky than that.

I entered the SIP number for a Skype contact and I appeared in the contact profile as a toolbar, but then later disappeared?!. I have open IM conversation with these contacts and on top it displays the number and when I press the contact icon next to it is opens the correct contact card but there is only the skype toolbar there. So I tried to go the unmerge view as you suggested but there is only the skype there also. Contacts with just SIP are ok, the SIP toolbar does not disappear and the number is visible when I go to unmerge.

Not possible to send messages to a phone number: because we don't assume that every phone number is a valid SIP identifier. How would that work by the way, convert it to SMS?
I use a local sim (finnish) card and the SIP I mainly use is provided (I pay for) by the mobile provider from another country. Through this SIP account I can call and send SMS as if I were in on the other network and it displays my non-finnish number to the recipient.
If I try to send a SMS, I cannot add a SIP contact as recipient.

The Following User Says Thank You to black For This Useful Post:
Alright, but I am not a fan. Don't like it when a device tries to be smarter than me...
A smarter way would be maybe to leave the IM address unlinked, and ask the user on first use if he wants to link it to an existing account...
But again, combinatorial explosion applies to code complexity too

actually, it is a bit more funky than that.

I entered the SIP number for a Skype contact and I appeared in the contact profile as a toolbar, but then later disappeared?!. I have open IM conversation with these contacts and on top it displays the number and when I press the contact icon next to it is opens the correct contact card but there is only the skype toolbar there. So I tried to go the unmerge view as you suggested but there is only the skype there also. Contacts with just SIP are ok, the SIP toolbar does not disappear and the number is visible when I go to unmerge.
OK, that seems to be a bug, though I have really no idea why it would happen :-/

I use a local sim (finnish) card and the SIP I mainly use is provided (I pay for) by the mobile provider from another country. Through this SIP account I can call and send SMS as if I were in on the other network and it displays my non-finnish number to the recipient.
If I try to send a SMS, I cannot add a SIP contact as recipient.
If you want to send a "SMS" via SIP (which is not an SMS but a SIP message then), you need to use the "start chat" button, not the "new SMS". I don't think the case of SIP accounts forwarding to SMS was considered.

The Following User Says Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
By the way, a future version will show the IM accounts in the contact editor, which should be more understandable. And there'll also be service icons for the "read only" details.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I was so far only able to test a N9 for only several hours. But for my a really big problem appearded at the way how the contacts names are displayed.

In the settings panel for contacts I have for the option how to display the names only "prename - name" and "name - prename".
I would prefer to have here a additional option like "nickname" at the N900.

So the Contacts application should display the Nickname of a Person. If I haven't entered a nickname it should take the "prename - name" or something like that as a fallback.

In many cases are a name not meaningful enought while searching for a phone number in the contact database.

I have many contacts related to a Company or a Job. At example "dentist". So I wrote at my N900 in the Nickname field "dentist Bob Butcher".

This way I was able to search for his name or his Job in the contacts list. Never mind if I was in this moment able to remember his real name or not. Same goes to many business contacts. At example, my IT Hotline has no realname data.

I used the Nickname field also to create this way my own usergroup. I placed after each name a short Group ID like "Family". So I simply typed at my N900 Family in the Search Field to filter my Contacts to see only Family members.

With over 1200 Contacts in my Adressbook I'm perhaps not a usual user. But ths N9 seemed to me very capable to handle this without problems.

I'm sure this should be a easyfix. The settings panel for Contacts is anyway very empty.

P.S.: Already orderes a N9. Even if this will stay a toy while I have to continue using my N900 for my daily business. The N9 is just tooo great!

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-10-20 at 13:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I was so far only able to test a N9 for only several hours. But for my a really big problem appearded at the way how the contacts names are displayed.

In the settings panel for contacts I have for the option how to display the names only "prename - name" and "name - prename".
I would prefer to have here a additional option like "nickname" at the N900.

So the Contacts application should display the Nickname of a Person. If I haven't entered a nickname it should take the "prename - name" or something like that as a fallback.

In many cases are a name not meaningful enought while searching for a phone number in the contact database.

I have many contacts related to a Company or a Job. At example "dentist". So I wrote at my N900 in the Nickname field "dentist Bob Butcher".

This way I was able to search for his name or his Job in the contacts list. Never mind if I was in this moment able to remember his real name or not. Same goes to many business contacts. At example, my IT Hotline has no realname data.

I used the Nickname field also to create this way my own usergroup. I placed after each name a short Group ID like "Family". So I simply typed at my N900 Family in the Search Field to filter my Contacts to see only Family members.

With over 1200 Contacts in my Adressbook I'm perhaps not a usual user. But ths N9 seemed to me very capable to handle this without problems.

I'm sure this should be a easyfix. The settings panel for Contacts is anyway very empty.

P.S.: Already orderes a N9. Even if this will stay a toy while I have to continue using my N900 for my daily business. The N9 is just to great!
That's fixed in a future update

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
That's fixed in a future update
Please gave me your contact data. You deserved a great big hug just in this moment!

Unfortunately you can't really do that without breaking all the layout... Or, at least the device is not designed to support that. I agree that the fonts (especially on the home screen) are quite small.
Hi abustany, thanks for your replies and all the valuable information that you are sharing.

I found out that pinch to zoom is possible in the Email client, I wonder if this feature can be implemented in the Messages Client? This would solve the "tiny fonts" issue. Seriously, the default view of the thread messages is really too tiny to read comfortably. The pinch to zoom would be a quick fix, but if there is a system wide option to increase the displayed fonts' size, it will really help, especially for those of us who are already dependent on reading glasses to read newspaper. Yes, it might break some of the default layout but what is a nice layout when the information that the layout is suppose to present is not legible... Alternatively, can we default the font size to no smaller than 8 points? As I am in the opinion that any size smaller should be avoided for text that need to be the focus information on any screen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to t1nym3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by t1nym3 View Post
Hi abustany, thanks for your replies and all the valuable information that you are sharing.

I found out that pinch to zoom is possible in the Email client, I wonder if this feature can be implemented in the Messages Client? This would solve the "tiny fonts" issue. Seriously, the default view of the thread messages is really too tiny to read comfortably. The pinch to zoom would be a quick fix, but if there is a system wide option to increase the displayed fonts' size, it will really help, especially for those of us who are already dependent on reading glasses to read newspaper. Yes, it might break some of the default layout but what is a nice layout when the information that the layout is suppose to present is not legible... Alternatively, can we default the font size to no smaller than 8 points? As I am in the opinion that any size smaller should be avoided for text that need to be the focus information on any screen.
I don't have a 1.0 image anymore in my hands, but I'm 99% sure the font size increases in the next update you'll receive (hopefully soonish).

An alternative solution would be to hack the CSS theme files, but I guess those belong to root (and are maybe protected by the security framework), so not sure how possible that is.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to abustany For This Useful Post:
Bluetooth issue / difference between synced and typed in contacts?

I'm usign car's integrated bluetooth thta can browse call logs (missed, placed, answered) and contact book via car console. It almost works which is already good news as with N900 this never worked. But then to the "almost" part... for some reason in contact book I (car) cannot see any synced contacts (whether MfE or BTn makes no difference) however all contacts thta I've typed in via the påhone UI work ok. I also tryed to copy some of the synced numbers to SIM bu thta didn't help either. Any idea what migh cause this? What is different in those contacts thta are created using tha phone?

Ps sorry about typos, blaim sapple on screen keyboard. Too hard to edit.