Active Topics

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jyväskylä, Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I disagree with danramos's posts sometimes. But I found nothing wrong with that post. They are all valid and true. Companies (at least sizable ones) need support. And if Nokia's customer support is any indication, any smart business would stay clear of Nokia phones for business purposes.
I don't know if Nokia USA has a terrible support organization or what is the problem in there, but seems to me that almost everywhere else in a world Nokia's support is as good as any.

Danramos was referring to Nokias lack of support, but let me tell you a secret: In real world there are more then Nokia USA and in a rest of the world you really will get support from Nokia. So why you generalize the problem?

If Nokia USA is crap, that does not imply that Nokia's products are crap or those are not suitable for business use.

For your's, or danramos's logic, if 1 US citizen is an idiot, rest of us can safely assume that you all are idiots.

As a side note, I have to say, that when I owned some "made in usa" -stuff earlier, work quality and support of all of those products was so low, that any european company could not even dare to let that **** out of their factory. I would never ever buy or recommend any product that has "Made in U.S.A" in it.

The Following User Says Thank You to loukkis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
You guys see the n9 leaked photos omg i am getting that! I'll be dropping that pre-order money!!!

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by loukkis View Post
I don't know if Nokia USA has a terrible support organization or what is the problem in there, but seems to me that almost everywhere else in a world Nokia's support is as good as any.
It's not just bad, it's positively appalling in the US, as near as I (and everyone I know personally) have experienced, and from what I've read and what's clearly stated as support from Nokia. If it's outstanding everywhere else in the world, then clearly I'm pointing out a US business' case for why you wouldn't want anything made by Nokia. On the other hand, their shrinking global marketshare might be saying otherwise, despite the shiny new devices coming out of Nokia. I would still argue that it would be interesting to see whether someone else will support their products far better than Nokia would when you depend on a product whether for your life, business or pleasure.

Danramos was referring to Nokias lack of support, but let me tell you a secret: In real world there are more then Nokia USA and in a rest of the world you really will get support from Nokia. So why you generalize the problem?
I neither generalized nor specified. You inferred a generalization, understandably. But then, where are you located that you're getting such excellent support? Are you able to order new spare parts? Repairs? Replacement without mailing your phone off for a month? Or are you inferring that the lack of these, otherwise very critical concerns for business and personal customers, are not at all important?

If Nokia USA is crap, that does not imply that Nokia's products are crap or those are not suitable for business use.
I clearly argued that it does. If a product is GREAT for business but then can't be supported, repaired or replaced promptly, that product is as useful as the support offered. It's certainly not business grade support by a LONG shot.

For your's, or danramos's logic, if 1 US citizen is an idiot, rest of us can safely assume that you all are idiots.
You didn't make any sense. Care to rephrase your argument?

As a side note, I have to say, that when I owned some "made in usa" -stuff earlier, work quality and support of all of those products was so low, that any european company could not even dare to let that **** out of their factory. I would never ever buy or recommend any product that has "Made in U.S.A" in it.
I'm intrigued at the direction you took your argument, lad. So, you argue the point of a company's clearly appalling record of supporting customers is a nationalistic issue? If you had otherwise argued, say: you had bought several items made by company X, and their workmanship and their history of support of their product was awful, then I can assume the rest of company X's products are not worth purchasing. Then, I would have agreed. A company decides their level of support and dedication to customers, not their race, creed or nationality. Wouldn't you agree? Or, would you disagree?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
After dropping an unfinished product onto the masses, Nokia's aftercare for the n900 has been shambolic. And then they rendered the device as obsolete after 6 months. I am from the UK, does that make me jingoistic as well?

The Following User Says Thank You to imperiallight For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
I think a discussion about Nokia gone too far. Personally, I don't care too much about support if N900 working, and reliability bugs in system were fixed - I need a Linux phone and I chose any which looks good.

And never mind is it Nokia or so. Of course, Nokia RF is still very impressive and gives some plus.

Unfortunately, on a market there is no choice today, only N900. Android is not an open Linux platform but Java platform based on Linux kernel. The rest ... is nothing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
dears,

this is my personal experience with N900, i bought it December 2009 and sold it on May 2010. Bought after that HD2 then SE X10 then Moto Milestone but nothing is stable like N900 so i sold them and bought another brand new N900

the system stability is not found in the other phones plus the unique browsing experience. the TV out the Camera, the battery performance, the keyboard ..... all these stuff i didn't found there the only advantage of the Android is the Market , the best thing in X10 is the camera but the N900 is the best

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fadimck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
It's not just bad, it's positively appalling in the US, as near as I (and everyone I know personally) have experienced, and from what I've read and what's clearly stated as support from Nokia. If it's outstanding everywhere else in the world, then clearly I'm pointing out a US business' case for why you wouldn't want anything made by Nokia. On the other hand, their shrinking global marketshare might be saying otherwise, despite the shiny new devices coming out of Nokia. I would still argue that it would be interesting to see whether someone else will support their products far better than Nokia would when you depend on a product whether for your life, business or pleasure.

I neither generalized nor specified. You inferred a generalization, understandably. But then, where are you located that you're getting such excellent support? Are you able to order new spare parts? Repairs? Replacement without mailing your phone off for a month? Or are you inferring that the lack of these, otherwise very critical concerns for business and personal customers, are not at all important?

I clearly argued that it does. If a product is GREAT for business but then can't be supported, repaired or replaced promptly, that product is as useful as the support offered. It's certainly not business grade support by a LONG shot.

You didn't make any sense. Care to rephrase your argument?

I'm intrigued at the direction you took your argument, lad. So, you argue the point of a company's clearly appalling record of supporting customers is a nationalistic issue? If you had otherwise argued, say: you had bought several items made by company X, and their workmanship and their history of support of their product was awful, then I can assume the rest of company X's products are not worth purchasing. Then, I would have agreed. A company decides their level of support and dedication to customers, not their race, creed or nationality. Wouldn't you agree? Or, would you disagree?
It is not nationalistic issue, but you have to look both ways to find the point of my post. You started generalization so i just followed your example.

I can safely say that Nokia has a great support organisation compared to other players. If i drop my N900 and screen breaks, I drive 12 kilometres to a little town(population 35000) and choose which one of the two repair shops I bring it in. If I'm lucky there is no queue and I get my phone back same day, and if there is long queue I might have to wait week to get it fixed. Any spare parts would be available immediatly or at least next business day.

If I break Motorola phone, it takes months to get it fixed, I think that they does not even repair Motorolas here. I know that they don't fix Apple in whole country as those are sent to some other country to fix. So Nokia has superior support organization. Don't you think same way?

As you can see, we have different kind of support organization and we have different kind of opinion about Nokia's support. I say it is great and you say it sucks. I'm right and you are wrong.

I'm sorry if you don't understand my examples and you cannot read between the lines, my english is quite bad.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
I can safely say that Nokia has a great support organisation compared to other players. If i drop my N900 and screen breaks, I drive 12 kilometres to a little town(population 35000) and choose which one of the two repair shops I bring it in. If I'm lucky there is no queue and I get my phone back same day, and if there is long queue I might have to wait week to get it fixed. Any spare parts would be available immediatly or at least next business day.
Nokia has better support in Finland than non-Finnish companies, so Nokia has better worldwide support than these other companies ?
That's what I understand from your post.

Back to the thread, I love my n900, and don't see any phone yet able to compete, within my personal preferences. However, the battery life isn't great, and I'm interested if any of you know a phone with :
- resistive screen
- hardware keyboard
- linux kernel
- GPS
- not-so-bad browsers
- significantly better battery life than the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to choubbi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by choubbi View Post
Nokia has better support in Finland than non-Finnish companies, so Nokia has better worldwide support than these other companies ?
That's what I understand from your post.
Of course this is not the case. It's same kind of unreal conclusion that danramos made, but I rolled it the other way around.

Last edited by loukkis; 2010-08-20 at 19:23.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Coventry, UK
ive been looking at new phones, just incase voda allow me to cancel! lol

ive come to the conclusion i might get another N900... and then have one with maemo, and the other running Nitdroid or meego once its available. i dont see any decent android phones with a good sized screen and hw keyboard. the two main things im after.

Nitdroid is coming on at a rapid rate. and seems very useable evn in its current state. just need 3g support and be able to make calls.

just my 2p

http://pininthemap.com/maemo
masterpin: shotgun