Alright, so Ive had these earbuds for a while

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MA...co=MTM3Njc1ODY

never had any problems with them, until I got an N900 yesterday. For some reason, they just aren't recognized by the phone. Anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks for an help.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
If they have a mic, then they're useless for anything but an iPhone.

Apple decided rather than follow the industry standard of Right/Left/Mic/Ground, they would make their own up. They chose to make their socket Right/Left/Ground/Mic, which means your N900 is trying to ground the headphones through the mic, which clearly will not work.

In short, they won't work on anything except an iProduct.

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ecuador
holy crap, that earbuds cost $79!!!!!!! wooooooooooooooa i really surprised... well not so much.. its apple :S

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
On the up-side, if you can find a converter that inverts the mic/ground pins , you could use it to "adapt" your iPhone headphones to any other 4-prong device. If there's a converter to turn other 4-prong headsets to the iPhone "standard", it would work in either direction.

You can thank Apple for this one though. The standard was set long ago to make the tip ground, no matter how many rings you add.

Oh, and didn't your N900 come with a headset? Mine did, but then I was a pre-order, so I'm not sure what was part of the default package and what was "special" for the pre-order folks.

welp..

that sucks

these things are great.

is there any kind of adapter or anything that changes the pins or anything to pretty much cancel out the mic being part of it?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
On the up-side, if you can find a converter that inverts the mic/ground pins , you could use it to "adapt" your iPhone headphones to any other 4-prong device. If there's a converter to turn other 4-prong headsets to the iPhone "standard", it would work in either direction.

You can thank Apple for this one though. The standard was set long ago to make the tip ground, no matter how many rings you add.

Oh, and didn't your N900 come with a headset? Mine did, but then I was a pre-order, so I'm not sure what was part of the default package and what was "special" for the pre-order folks.
i bought mine used and yes it came with the ear buds but ehhhh im not into using used earbuds.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
That may be true, but the N900 is also finicky with headphones - I bought a pair of sony earbuds which also don't work with our beloved device. Lately I've been looking for new earbuds - any ideas?

Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
That may be true, but the N900 is also finicky with headphones - I bought a pair of sony earbuds which also don't work with our beloved device. Lately I've been looking for new earbuds - any ideas?
You can always use apple earphones with N900. I do that all the time. The key is not to push the head phones into the socket. The plug which is supposed to go in just leave that a little outside and you should be done.

Originally Posted by istanbul View Post
You can always use apple earphones with N900. I do that all the time. The key is not to push the head phones into the socket. The plug which is supposed to go in just leave that a little outside and you should be done.
Doing so will give u only mono sound.. To test, try putting the headphones in all the way and holding the mic button. that will be actual stereo sound.. Difference wil be obvious

hmm well what if i tightly wrap some tape around the mic so that the button is held down permanently?