Notices

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Examples of important OSS projects abandoned without any possibility for users to have some continuity?
Furthermore consider that an offline routing/map application without map updates is quite useless in 6 months, I'm not simply criticize their choices in development of the application per se, but mainly for the lack of maps update support (and I paid for them!) which was almost free for them (having other app versions for other platforms) but only if they designed maps files to be compatible with older version...and good design is one of the core points for a serious sw development company.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
"Important" is a very subjective term. I loved DVDStyler in Debian Squeeze. You could say it was important for me. But it was dropped in Wheezy. There you go, a real life OSS example.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by djdas View Post
Examples of important OSS projects abandoned without any possibility for users to have some continuity?
Furthermore consider that an offline routing/map application without map updates is quite useless in 6 months, I'm not simply criticize their choices in development of the application per se, but mainly for the lack of maps update support (and I paid for them!) which was almost free for them (having other app versions for other platforms) but only if they designed maps files to be compatible with older version...and good design is one of the core points for a serious sw development company.
Useless? I still use those 2010 maps. Common sense of course still has to apply; but even with 3-4 year old map data a rough guidance to target is possible. (Try to get from an airport to your destination at 4am using an arabic-(almost-)only OSM-based map, with straight-line "routing". That's something completely different!) It's not that there's an important bridge connection missing while you try to get out of Northeastern Miami during midnight... and that happened with Garmin. Just for the record.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-05-02 at 13:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Sygic started selling Mobile Maps for Maemo in March 2010. I paid 59 Euro. They sold it with the promise, buyers will get "map udates". In April 2011, they stopped everything: selling AND support. In autumn 2010 I got only one map update and then never again. One update is less than the promised updates. Sygic sold a product and supported it approximately one year. Firstly this is against the european law, because they have to support a product for two years, at least. Secondly, it is a breach of a contract.

My father happened the same with Sygic for Bada. He bought Sygic and six months later, Bada has been kicked off by Sygic ...

Last edited by Acurus_; 2013-05-02 at 14:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acurus_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"Important" is a very subjective term. I loved DVDStyler in Debian Squeeze. You could say it was important for me. But it was dropped in Wheezy. There you go, a real life OSS example.
Yes, "important" is a bad word....maybe I had to use "popular"
But support from a distribution is different from support from a vendor. You could even recompile your program under Wheezy and use it as always...
It's very different if you buy a program which per se needs constant updates (maps files) and the vendor stops them...
After all you don't need to pay Debian to obtain the distribution, you could make donations if you want to support their work...while who bought Sygic Maps needed to pay almost 50$ (or even more) to obtain program and maps.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Useless? I still use those 2010 maps. Common sense of course still has to apply; but even with 3-4 year old map data a rough guidance to target is possible. (Try to get from an airport to your destination at 4am using an arabic-(almost-)only OSM-based map, with straight-line "routing". That's something completely different!) It's not that there's an important bridge connection missing while you try to get out of Northeastern Miami during midnight... and that happened with Garmin. Just for the record.
Well I had this problem just yesterday with Sygic Maps not updated: there were some modifications in the roads so while driving I started "flying" on a green field without knowing where to turn to get to my destination, the voice suddenly muted herself and I had to stop trying to understand the way to get...furthermore the street signals weren't useful as none of them pointed to the town I was going to...
A paper map would be useful in that case and it wouldn't cost 50+$
Maybe in two years someone built a new road and the maps needed an update but Maemo platform is dead...Just for the records

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by djdas View Post
But support from a distribution is different from support from a vendor. You could even recompile your program under Wheezy and use it as always...
You wanted an example of an "important" OSS project being dropped :-)

<off-topic>I tried rebuilding it myself but it turns out that the sources available on the author's website require extra libraries not available in Wheezy (probably why it was dropped from there). Not an insurmountable task but a lot of hassle nevertheless. As a result, I am still without my important program.</off-topic>

Tags
don't buy sygic, sygic robbers