Not sure if this has already been discussed or not but I couldn't find the information when I looked for it so I thought I'd post my findings for others.

I personally would like to be able to use the maemo file browser to browse my selection of roms and simply select a rom and have it open the appropriate application. To do this is very simple. You have to have root access in terminal (install rootsh).

Open a terminal and type

Code:
root
cd /usr/share/applications
We are going to edit defaults.list

The following step is optional to make a backup file
Code:
cp defaults.list defaults.list.orig
Open defaults.list with your favorite text editor and add the following lines at the end of the file:

Code:
application/x-nes-rom=hildon-ines.desktop
application/x-gba-rom=hildon-vgba.desktop
Save and close the file. The first line associates .nes files with Ines and the 2nd line associates .gba files with VGBA. I didnt add a line for the snes emulator because when I tested it, the emulator would launch but would not start the game.

You can now click on an nes or gba rom from the maemo file browser and it will launch the emulator and start the game.

I assume you could add similar lines for the GB and MasterGear emulators but I dont have those installed so I cant give instructions for them.

Hope someone finds this useful

Last edited by lfcobra; 2010-01-25 at 01:41. Reason: Update per Siggen suggestions

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lfcobra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
hey, there is a typo, its not default.list its defaults.list

computers cant reason you know, need to be precise

also please add in a line that says

Code:
apt-get install vim
and wrap all your commands in code wrapper

to launch vim to edit the files use

Code:
vim defaults.list

Last edited by Siggen; 2010-01-25 at 01:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
Okay, i just have to rewrite the guide all together, it ait very newbie friendly. Copy any thing of it to the first post.

This is how to make NES and GBA games open in the file-browser:

Short versions for people that are well known with linux:
Insert
Code:
at the bottom of
/usr/share/applications/defaults.list

Long version for Newbs:

First of all you need rootsh to do this. Get it here (note if your in the maemo browser you can install it directly from that site):
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/
this is a shortened url that you can use to type into the maemo browser:
tinyurl.com/rootsh

You need to find the X-terminal if you know how to do this, go a head and open it, if not here is how. Open the main menu, at the desktop it opens with the button at the top left of the screen, press it again if the application switcher appears. Press others, and chose X Terminal.

in here type these commands
Code:
sudo gainroot
cd /usr/share/applications
this step is required for noobs, it backs up the file you are soon going to edit.
Code:
cp defaults.list defaults.list.orig
Now you need vim installed, this command does not hurt anything if you all ready have it install.
Code:
apt-get install vim
press y or yes on the keyboard if it asks

now we are going to edit the file
Code:
vim defaults.list
now we are inside vim, i dont really like this text editor because its hard to navigate and do stuff, ill walk you through it, do this on the hardware keyboard.

press the right and down button multiple times till your at the end of the document. When your at the end of the last line press the "o" button, this is o for Oscar (dont hold shift while you do this).
Now press the Linebreak key, the enter key that is. And write in this

Code:
its important that these lines are on two separate lines, and for simplicity sake we put them on the bottom of the text file.

now press the "esc" button on the bottom of the screen and now we need to save properly. to do this simply write

Code:
:wq
and then hit enter.

This should work instantly, start playing!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Siggen For This Useful Post:
Could we get the above script modified to open MAME roms, please? Thank you.

Tags
associate roms, emulation, emulators, file association, file manager, fremantle, game emulation, launch, launch emulator, launch game emulator, maemo, maemo 5, roms