Hi all, I've a N900 not used because the touchscreen is broken; I did an hard reset some time ago, so it's stuck in the "Choose Language/Choose Region/Choose Hour/etc, and I cannot go one because the touchscreen.

I was wandering if there is some way to go past it or, eventually, use it to install some linux flavor to use it as an ssh server. Am I asking too much?

Thanks!
--
Diego

The Following User Says Thank You to ludiegu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
I would say to connect an USB mouse to it, but it requires software to be installed first, so it's not an option.

If you are in some way able to go past it, then I guess you could install the software using only the keyboard

19:48 <Remi-X>: my name is fry and im shy
19:48 <Remi-X>: sh*t how can i even say something that dumb

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
well, its not that hard to replace the digitizer. And it's only 10$ or so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
well, its not that hard to replace the digitizer. And it's only 10$ or so.
Indeed - and someone recommended one somewhere in the whelter of threads here as well. Note that the quality of replacement touchscreens varies.

I broke the digitizer of my first N900 once, and got stuck on the choose region/set clock screen, but I remember I got past it maybe by shutting it down and booting it up few times. Cant recall it correctly, but I definitely did it somehow. Then I got the terminal running with ctrl + x if I remember correctly and moved some files to safety in command line. This way I could have installed any needed software for usb or bluetooth mouse. Eventually I bought new digitizer and ribbon cable and repaired the phone.

The problem is, I don't think I'm going to use it as my main phone anymore (shame on me!), I was wandering if, maybe using the flasher utility, is possible to flash somehow to just have the shell, or flash it directly with some *nix magic.
Thanks again!
--
Diego

Just get to the terminal and apt-get the sshd to your system and you can log in to it remoitely (ofcourse you have to have rootsh installed already to do that).

Originally Posted by ludiegu View Post
I was wandering if, maybe using the flasher utility, is possible to flash somehow to just have the shell, or flash it directly with some *nix magic.
You can always install nemo on sd card and then flash kernel or I guess you can remove osso-startup-wizard via rescueOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to elros34 For This Useful Post:
rescueOS seeems the way to go! I will give it a shot and report here. Thanks again!

Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
Originally Posted by elros34 View Post
You can always install nemo on sd card and then flash kernel or I guess you can remove osso-startup-wizard via rescueOS.
how can i do it ( remove package ) after loading rescue os ?

Tags
broken screen, nokia n900