Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
@406NotAcceptable, I wasn't aware of any mobile device supporting full flash (not Flash Lite). Could you point me to a source where I can get it please.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by 406NotAcceptable View Post
Rubbish. I had flash support on my G1 a few months back. The HTC Hero has flash, and the Droid has flash too.

The owners of all devices with flash are all waiting for Flash 10.1 for the GPU acceleration.
Humbug! You didn't have Flash on any Android device, period. The best you could get is the alpha-ish state of the current FP 10.1 development version, but it's not final and it's not supported, not to mention that it works like crap. And even that I'd take with a grain of salt unless you are a HTC or Adobe employee...

If you are talking about Flash Lite 3.1, that's like calling a WML browser a fully fledged HTML browser...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_hero-review-382p8.php

First sentence.

Last week Adobe CEO Shantana Narayen promised a player by October, saying it would first be available for Google’s Android operating system. This morning, HTC held a live event to show off its next smartphone, the Hero, which will be available later this year. The slim device is loaded up with Google’s Android operating system, HTC’s attractive Sense user interface, and a Flash player that supports Flash Lite 3.1.
Most reviewers have no clue of a difference between Flash Player and Flash Lite. Flash Lite is not full Flash support, not even close, ask any professional ActionScript developer to explain you the difference. If we would claim any device that have Flash Lite as a flash-enabled device, then most of the S60 phones are supporting Flash for years now...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
This one has.

Though I can't seem to find much info about the Flash version.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2010-01-09 at 14:49.

Nope, it has not: http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html

HTC Hero browser comes with Flash Lite version 3.1 and supports playback of SWF contents up to Flash 9 and ActionScript 2.0.
Forget what gsm-arena claims, playing banners (mostly AS 2.0 with no shaders and other effects) and video does not mean `full Flash support`. Flash Lite != Flash Player.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I wish we had a Flash Lite option so we could play Flash games and watch Flash video without all of the browser overhead. I have two 3430 devices (Archos 5 & N900). Archos 5 plays the same videos and games smoother and with better quality. A5 uses Flash Lite.

Even with Flash 10.1 it will not perform as well as it could, due to the browser also being open. Both in battery and actual smoothness for some content.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rushmore For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I wish we had a Flash Lite option so we could play Flash games and watch Flash video without all of the browser overhead. I have two 3430 devices (Archos 5 & N900). Archos 5 plays the same videos and games smoother and with better quality. A5 uses Flash Lite.

Even with Flash 10.1 it will not perform as well as it could, due to the browser also being open. Both in battery and actual smoothness for some content.
I think you will be surprised at how much better flash is once the load is put onto the GPU rather than CPU. That being said flash is a bloated POS that long ago should have been replaced by something lighter.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

There's a stand-alone flash player too. I can't seem to find it now, but it works ok on my fedora system. Doesn't seem to have dependencies either. Perhaps adobe could be bothered to recompile for arm?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Be nice to have the option, but Bratag is correct, since the GPU being used to help out in 10.1, should be much better.

Flash Lite would be a nice bridge. Flash content ATM with 9.4 is a battery killa'!

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update