Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
One small thing I can offer is that I was able to use this USB soundcard to drive a set of SPDIF speakers. It works great; 'perfect' sound quality:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HA-INFO-NG-C...item27be820192
I don't know how the DAC part of that chip is, but at least doing digital->digital works nicely. And it's plug and play for us.
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Could you please elaborate on that last sentence (in bold) ?
What software did you use to play the music ? Do you mean that no fiddling with ALSA and/or PA was needed ?...
Exactly, same thoughts here. What "plug and play" mean here? I doubt that PA reconfigured itself to redirect all sound there... Have You used stock media player (or OMP, shouldn't matter in this case)? Or just mplayer via terminal?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
So, I did a few experiments with gstreamer, but without much success. But maybe someone finds this useful, though.

First, one needs to install the gstreamer0.10-alsa package:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-alsa
this adds an gstreamer plugin for alsa outout/input. One can now play e.g. a mp3 file back using the appropriate gstreamer-pipeline:

Code:
gst-launch filesrc location=thesong.mp3 ! decodebin ! audioconvert !
audioresample ! alsasink device=hw:1,0
Probably gstreamer does this with dsp-assisted decoding, but I guess the main cause for battery drain is the host mode part itself, so it does not seem to help much.

I did not manage to play anything through usb with Maemo apps, nor found a way to set an system wide standard sink. Some website proposed to use
Code:
gconftool-2 --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/audiosink "alsasink device=hw:1,0"
gconftool-2 --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "alsasink device=hw:1,0"
but it seems like Maemo apps do not rely on this.

So, not so useful for playback, but could be nice for recording directly in ogg or flac using a gstreamer pipeline.

It seems however like rockbox is using gstreamer, and has "pulsesink" as output sink hardcoded (http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.gi...cm-gstreamer.c), so one could try to change this and recompile (or ask the author to make it configurable somehow).

Does anyone know if there's a way to force apps using gstreamer to a special sink? Or make autoaudiosink redirecting to it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Could you please elaborate on that last sentence (in bold) ?
What software did you use to play the music ? Do you mean that no fiddling with ALSA and/or PA was needed ?...
I used mplayer from the command-line with an ao alsa option... No clue how to set up the stock media player etc, but at least the drivers worked.
OC freqs: 0:22,90 125:22,90 250:28,180 500:30,360 550:32,400 600:34,430 700:39,430 750:41,430 805:45,430 850:47,500 900:50,500 950:54,500 1000:58,500 1100:67,520 1150:71,520

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Ah, OK, some same method as previously, only with different hardware.

I guess streaming sound as PCM through USB (in or out) is the same for any client device that has the capability, and power kernel supports that, so just about anything should work.

Multifunction devices (like Estel card which also does video editing, TV etc.) would probably require drivers for non-sound functions.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
So, I did a few experiments with gstreamer, but without much success. But maybe someone finds this useful, though.
Thanks for your continued efforts Oblomow ! Maemo certainly doesn't make this stuff easy for us, compared to standard desktop Linux...

It seems however like rockbox is using gstreamer, and has "pulsesink" as output sink hardcoded (http://git.rockbox.org/?p=rockbox.gi...cm-gstreamer.c), so one could try to change this and recompile (or ask the author to make it configurable somehow).
Aha, well spotted !
I will chime in the question in the Rockbox thread, although I'm not sure the original porter is still active here...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kirillkk View Post
2) Did you install libid3tag and libmad?
You could try ldd /usr/local/lib/moc/decoder_plugins/libmp3* to find what's missing.

3) What term are you using? Enter key fix was for osso-xterm which is generating somewhat non-standard. Please, try to remove ENTER key mapping (mocp will use the default). Also you may try "go = ENTER ^j".
Confirmed: both issues fixed

Finally I got time to unplug all cables from my desktop, and test Audigy 2ZS Video Editor with N900 - fpp was right, in fact it works as audio device (+ 4 port, powered USB 2.0 HUB, that is bundled inside), leaving only video capabilities for proprietary drivers = inaccessible.

I've tested it with mplayer terminal command, and it worked as expected. So, I've tried smplayer, and guess what, it *works* flawlessly!

smplayer is great mplayer front-end available from repositories. Of course, as it's still mplayer, it doesn't allow to use DSP assist in decoding... Yet, its using GUI and settings, to allow doing every thing that you can do with mplayer via terminal (at least, things that I'm aware of), adding to it every function that You would expect from GUI media player, like manipulating playlists, normalizing volume etc.

it's no different when it comes to selecting output audio device - I was able to choose my USB sound card via GUI drop-down list. Fortunately, no one decided that this option should be cut off while porting to Maemo "as no one could ever use it at the time of porting [it seems to me, that it was ported before hostmode become available]" - kudos for original creator/porting dev.

Furthermore, in my case it uses exact same amount of CPU time to decode, as when using N900's internal DAC. To be precise - mplayer process itself uses more CPU with external DAC, yet, with internal DAC, CPU cycles are "divided" between mplayer and pulseaudio. I've tested many times, and result were the same - 60-61% @500 mhz when decoding Q=6, VBR, lowpass=20kHz ogg file. At first, this part of my findings seems to be opposite to Oblomow research, yet, I'm not sure if "dividing" CPU cycles between mplayer and pulseaudio (when using internal DAC) was considered there (?).
---

So, there is comfortable way to use external DAC with GUI - I think that main idea can be considered as achieved, and that concludes trying to compile some other (also non using DSP) players, as obsolete.

Of course, we still need to figure out how to use external card with OMP (or stock player, whatever), utilizing MAFW DSP-assisted decoding. Also, it would be great to figure some similarly easy way to record audio from mixer with stereo (and up) microphones. Heck, even my mentioned card got plentora of IN's (jacks, line-ins, optical-in, MIDI or whatsnot), and I have no idea - yet - how to determine which one is (to be) used, when recording via terminal.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
basically, if we connect full-fledged mixer (with USB client), our lightweight, portable N900 isn't any worse than desktop PC. For people creating bootlegs from concerts (shows), or other situations, where sound quality is very important, yet portable size is a must, it's incredible. We got features, that normally require expensive and/or heavy devices, still more limited than our N900.

for some background on similar application, many of us have been recording 24-bit 96khz spdif with dell axims for almost a decade using a PDAudio compact flash card audio interface. ive used this same card to record to a $200 old notebook with a cfcard/pcmcia adapter and alsa drivers with ecasound command line. this was before the dawn of decent USB audio solutions, of which there are now many...

im no script kiddie, but ecasound should easily port to N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerryfreak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jerryfreak View Post
for some background on similar application, many of us have been recording 24-bit 96khz spdif with dell axims for almost a decade using a PDAudio compact flash card audio interface. ive used this same card to record to a $200 old notebook with a cfcard/pcmcia adapter and alsa drivers with ecasound command line. this was before the dawn of decent USB audio solutions, of which there are now many...

im no script kiddie, but ecasound should easily port to N900
An older version (2.7.0) of ecasound is installable via Easy Debian. Seems to be very interesting, but I did not find the time yet to dive deeper into it. But as audacity records through usb from Easy Debian, I guess ecasound is also able to use external deivecs via alsa.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Wait, wait - audacity records from alsa external USB soundcard without problems in ED? I must have missed it. It's great news!

I wonder if totemplayer (with leetnoob's hacks to enable accelerated playback in it) in ED can easily use external sound card. Will try to check that, as time permits (not to much time those days, hardly enough to keep in pace with TMO and great ideas like that).

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-01 at 23:27.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
h-e-n, usb audio