Active Topics

I wondered if anyone was able to create/locate the unity plugin for any of the browsers available on the n900.

I have been quite blown away by what the unity plugin on firefox for the pc.
For those who dont know what i am on about just google 'unity 3d' find a game, install the plugin and play.
www.hellorace.com have a good example of rendering - but more importantly links to the iphone unity games....

we have full flash, a phone that is practically a pc, and an open operating system... couldnt we create/locate the plugin ?
Sorry if i am way off the mark or if this is simply not possible, but thats what the forum is for isnt it?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Hamburg, Germany
Unity is a proprietary technology. There is no Open Source implementation so that no one (outside of Unity Technologies) is able to create a browser plugin (at least within a reasonable amount of time). Furthermore, it's highly unlikely for Unity to publish a plugin themselves as there isn't even a plugin for "normal" Linux distros.

What about the plugin for iphone? Could that not be adapted in someway?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
There's no plugin for the iPhone, Unity3D compiles and publishes to that platform. As well as Android too now.

But Maemo is not a supported platform in browser technology/plugin nor publishing at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
i do feel a little cheated regarding the hype behind the n900. only the hope of pr1.2 or meego being relatively half decent resumes my faith in nokia.
i fell for the hype that the n900 was effectively a small pc, flash enabled and sprawling with support from developers willing to maximise on the ability of its open os.
im hoping the fellows at xda-dev jump on the unity band wagon and produce something for my hd2.
unity has support for iphone and android, i will be wounded to see my missus benefiting from unity on her android handset before we see anythig on the n900.
please dont flame me, i just cant wait for the n900 to get the support it deserves.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Why would you feel cheated? Some research would have shown that Unity3D is not supported.

It is Flash 9.4 enabled. As far as Unity3D goes though, if the interest was there, I'd bet it'd be supported on Maemo too. But as it stands, it's not. Not yet. I hope that Intel/Nokia reaches out to the Unity3D folks to get their offerings also onto MeeGo.

I agree with you. I'd love to see the N900 get the support it deserves. But a little bit of research would have shown you that the very things you want aren't there yet.

I'd say at least let all of the vendors involved - Nokia, Intel, Unity3D - know that you'd love their product on your platform of choice. Get enough people behind you... who knows?

Regardless, I hope that you find happiness with your N900. Many around here have. With no FP 10.1 and Unity3D on the platform yet, I can't say that it's a platform for me yet.

here's my unity game so far http://piascyk.squarespace.com/games/ it's a racing game with a slow motion camera. mostly a car physics demo until more features are added (coming soon). cant wait to play it mobile

Last edited by piascyk; 2010-04-26 at 18:31.

@gerbick

thanks for your swift responce and for not flaming me.
I posted to start because i lack the research or experience to make judgement.

I simply saw it as something good that would be welcomed by most/all n900 owners. it just grates me that android and iphone users are awarded for following trends and purchasing traditions. whereas n900 owners are left with nada due to lack of owner support or sales volume impact.

do nokia expect to sell many more n900's ???

maybe not. thay have already planned replacements and changed the os and support system for developers within months of release. im trying NOT to be negative, but how can we support a device without support from nokia?

i love my n900 and i started the post in the hope that unity could make it better.... but it seems that as its a phone with low support that the essential developments are not possible..

i am sorry guys. but unless we gel together to create a powerful community to rival iphone and android our n900's will not improve greatly regarding community members in the future.

i hope i am greatly incorrect.

hedgemonsta,

Some random company produced a product you want which only works on Windows, Mac, iPhone/iPad. That was their choice. Nokia have no control over this. There's no point getting upset. I would guess that most N900 owners couldn't care less about Unity. I certainly don't.

The N900 is what it is. If you wanted something else, you should have bought that. Stop crying

The Following User Says Thank You to sydb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by hedgemonsta View Post

do nokia expect to sell many more n900's ???

maybe not. thay have already planned replacements and changed the os and support system for developers within months of release. im trying NOT to be negative, but how can we support a device without support from nokia?
Then how come they are selling the N900 right now in markets that was never even considered of in the beginning?

Tags
3d games, n900 games, unity