Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Depends on the court jurisdiction. In the US, some of the most idiotic, counter-consumer shrink-wrap (and similar) terms have been upheld...
Well, he did say "in most sane jurisdictions"

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CrashandDie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Interestingly my September prototype running the Global firmware DID force me to subscribe after installing PR1.2 (while I was located on US soil, using an AT&T SIM), I have received no text messages from the service so far, however.
Out of curiosity, did you flash PR1.2 or install the OTA update? Another possible difference is that my AT&T SIM is more accurately an AT&T Go Phone SIM, though I have a hard time believing that would influence anything.

Also, my N900's phone number was registered with My Nokia prior to the PR1.2 update. Conceivably, my phone could have checked with Nokia servers--via WiFi--during the update process and found I'd already registered. That would be...odd though. Sending text messages for registration wouldn't make sense if an Internet connection with the My Nokia servers had already been established.

I suspect one of us hit some odd, corner case bug.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Out of curiosity, did you flash PR1.2 or install the OTA update? Another possible difference is that my AT&T SIM is more accurately an AT&T Go Phone SIM, though I have a hard time believing that would influence anything.
Flashed, since I got it a week early.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
I suspect one of us hit some odd, corner case bug.
Given the bugginess of the whole MyNokia setup on Maemo, I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm not sure if my 5800 ever registered with MyNokia.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
I guess most people are aware of this already, but MyNokia is something that is not only Meego-specific but rather appears also in Symbian devices.
I was not aware of this. Well then, that makes sense now. Pfsht. What a tool I've been.

People, information gathered from most devices sold by Nokia is invaluable to their business, determines launch dates, schedules, order of countries, number of devices, hell, it is the basis of all Nokia marketing and distribution, design, milestones.

Haha. Not going to be fixed. Do you realize you're asking Nokia to turn off its headlights on a night country road? This information is worth a decent chunk of their income and determines their reaction to market changes. And by "chunk" I don't mean a few percent.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Their attempts to branch out (N-Gage, Ovi Store, booklet, naviteq maps) has generated lukewarm (at best) market response thus far.
None of those were ever finished. Nokia deals in fireworks and company image. You get attention with new launches, not with good stuff. Shallow, shallow, shallow.

That's why they launch 10 phones a year, that's why the never finish anything. It's more of a marketing boost to launch a new tech than to finalize it. Keep launching, keep attracting attention.

This is 2010. People buy devices like jewelry. Logo on it is deeply important, I've seen people argue about manufacturer while never using anything above Contacts, Last Dialled and the red and green buttons. One can't afford to be out of the spotlight.

Do you really think iStuff would have any kind of market share if they were black, featureless, and Just Worked? No way. Low screen resolution, locked OS, bluetooth limitations, no pen.

The fight is for spotlight. It's no coincidence it's a theater out there, CEOs included.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
If they are really, really interested, they could even ask the carriers the name and contact information of the people paying the bill.
Carriers are localized companies. They are founded in their respective countries, subject to local laws, and publishing this kind of info in most countries (US is funny) is going to get them deboned. Also, the carrier has this leash that we call radio license. They are not about to tug on that.

If Vodafone Romania sold some of its database to a 3rd party it'd be facing criminal charges and the person signing that paper (along with others) would be facing jail. Say what you will about corruption, but in high profile cases bribing simply doesn't work.

And it's not like it's jail they're afraid of - people escape judicial systems all the time, everywhere. It's the fines that I'm sure they find deeply unfunny. You can't get out of that, because that money goes to the state. If you want to keep doing business, you have to pay (or they take anyway). And it's not like these are people you can pay back later, if ever.

Asking the local carrier simply doesn't fly. They could at most tell Nokia how many they sold, which is bogus, because so few are sold through them. Plus, they get a number, not a log. Plus, no resale, no second hand, no usage.

No, they have to do it, because Nokia is not a company in your country, so there. If you don't like it, whatchagonnado? Ban Nokia? So what, they can afford to lose part of the country, and I say part because people would still buy by order. And back in Finland, well, I hear they are not exactly shaking in their boots.

I'd go as far as to say Nokia values the collection of data more than they value a market. Timing a release and molding their next device to sound like the next iStuff killer (and I stress SOUND LIKE) is going to net them more cash than a single country, with few if any exceptions. Especially a small-sale EU country, perhaps that's why US was partly spared.

Remember, the figures show them per-country market penetration, adoption rate, and per-device, per-OS sales graph. This is the stuff dreams are made of.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Francisco
Quite possibly a violation of Cal. Bus. & Prof. Code § 17529 unless Nokia can convince the courts that they have an ongoing business relationship with the user. The fact that there is a cost to opt-out would certainly not sit well with any jury. Courts have already found that text messaging qualifies under either or both email or telephone delivery.

Alas, why I'll likely never recommend the N900 to my friends

Non-nerd apps; USB charging - generic and reliable; Distinctive ring tones; GPS failure to lock; Competitive "maps" application; Supported MMS, iSync, Bluetooth

(The feeble FM transmitter bugs me too)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jeffsf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
...which, again, is not an excuse but part of the problem. - Nokia employees should be allowed an encouraged to make such statements. They needn't say "Ah, yes, I know, everything we do here is wrong and bad, but I can't change it." - no. But what would be wrong with "We at Maemo/MeeGo devices understand your concerns and we're discussing the issue internally. However, please understand that it's not just our decision. There's quite a few others here at Nokia who have a say in this matter, so we can't promise anything. We're not giving up though and will keep you informed."

What ragnar contributed here was basically the "... it's not just our decision" part (or maybe I'm interpreting too much... whatever).
What's missing - and what would be crucial to know - is the "we understand your concerns and we're discusing the issue internally". At the moment, we just don't know if the people we thought we knew even share our concerns.... or if they just stare at this discussion and have no idea why anyone is upset at all.
I don't know who "we" would be sufficiently as to say positively one way or another. I have heard several discussions on topics that range close to this, so in that sense I guess I can say that "we are discussing this". I certainly have my own opinions and express them when possible. Then again, there are many hallways and meeting rooms where discussions are had and decisions get made. Sometimes it's just hard to come here and say that I can't say much more, and easier just not to say anything. I hope you appreciate the sentiment, although I know it isn't of much value.

I guess it is a good mental exercise for everyone concerned to put an imaginary Nokia side hat on and think about why Nokia does what it does, for instance in this case of MyNokia. Nokia, Ovi, services etc. What would you do as Nokia... When trying to find and propose solutions the best proposals are of such a nature that are usually win-win, i.e. rather than just saying "don't do this" if you figure out great ideas on how to do things in a way that would please both parties, then those ideas have a much higher likelihood of those ideas finding some ground and going forward.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I guess it is a good mental exercise for everyone concerned to put an imaginary Nokia side hat on and think about why Nokia does what it does, for instance in this case of MyNokia. Nokia, Ovi, services etc. What would you do as Nokia...
I wore that hat for 3 years.

I know what I did in similar circumstances: pushed hard until people got tired of hearing from me. Sometimes the logjam was freed and sometimes it was stupidly reinforced.

Nokia can and should do better at putting customer hats on. This one was a no-brainer: add an opt-out at the very least.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I guess it is a good mental exercise for everyone concerned to put an imaginary Nokia side hat on and think about why Nokia does what it does, for instance in this case of MyNokia. Nokia, Ovi, services etc.
Deal. I don't own hats so I'll use a piece of paper.

"Ok, I'm this hude company and I want stuff from THEM. But, they'll probably want stuff from ME.

What do I have that I could offer to the oafs that would SEEM like value, but cost me nothing?

I know, I'll give them free stuff. Pain free, free stuff.

What do I have laying around? Cool, a few games from Nokia Labs folks. Ok, register your phone and get this stuff free.

What else? Oh, I know. I'm making like 5 bucks off the OVI store. Let's give the oafs a humongous discount, like, 50% for a year. Or on all already-here apps, since they are like 3 that are pay.

What else? I know, ease of use. How about everyone that registers gets this pain-free stuff, like, the ability to use an account based on their IMEI or something to drop files? Like a drop box, but without having to go through registration? Like an online clipboard, or something. They can use it for backup.

Ohh, backup. I know, I'll add WGET to backup app so they can store it online. Hey, it's like 10 MB max, everyone gets one online file or something.

Let's see, how about pretend we give them stuff, but not give them? Like enroll them in a a beta something, release a few things early for registered users? Not release, but promise. Next app you get first.

What else? I know, if they register, give them "gold" OVI membership, with twice the storage nobody uses. And increase the limit for images, since nobody carries huge images.

Hell, we can even add a few features they woefully deserve and make it an OVI Gold pack and give them that

Or maybe write a few cool tools and only make them available to OVI registrees.
"

I'll have to pause now, it's giving me this ungodly urge to release a new model of something.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
For me it's a little bit disappointing the fact that today I found a mail from a Nokia partner asking to answer to their questions since I am a n900 owner and they got my adress from nokia.
I mean: this is a disappointing spam. I never accepted that my data could be given to someone else except from Nokia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patroclo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nokia Privacy Policy
Communicating with you and marketing We may use your personal data to communicate with you, for example, to provide information relating to our products and/or services you are using or to contact you for customer satisfaction queries. We may use your personal data for marketing or research purposes, for example, to conduct market research and we may, in accordance with applicable law, contact you to inform you of new products, services or promotions we may offer. Also, some of our products and services may be used to promote products and services of other companies. However, Nokia does not disclose your personal data to such companies or any other company for marketing purposes without your prior consent.
You signed it.