Active Topics

dan, I don't know why the gtk-update-icon-cache command would screw up things...I run it all the time

Here are the options for it:

Code:
~ $ gtk-update-icon-cache --help
Usage:
  gtk-update-icon-cache [OPTION...] ICONPATH

Help Options:
  -?, --help                   Show help options

Application Options:
  -f, --force                  Overwrite an existing cache, even if uptodate
  -t, --ignore-theme-index     Don't check for the existence of index.theme
  -i, --index-only             Don't include image data in the cache
  -c, --source=NAME            Output a C header file
  -q, --quiet                  Turn off verbose output
As you can see, there are not a lot of options...

The only thing I can think of is that one of your new icons you added didn't agree with GTK, and it corrupted your cache. See, index.theme defines where your icons are, and icon-theme.cache is all your icons contained in one file. It is not human-readable, and that is why nothing shows up in a text editor. You can try removing the last few icons you made then re-running the update-cache command and see if things get back to normal.

Edit: Oh btw, don't mess with index.theme; one time I was editing it to add a new icon path and somehow it just evaporated. The only way I could fix it was by recloning.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

Last edited by BrentDC; 2008-08-22 at 16:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
I got that command from this website. I'm trying to fix my own problems. Since I create sooo many.
http://trac.autopackage.org/ticket/39
Don't know what ' -t ' is for. Thought you or someoe here might have run across it.
TIA

Last edited by dan; 2008-08-22 at 16:09.

THe man page I looked up online didn't have the -t... Brent just showed the output from CLI.. Must have been a different version I was looking at.

So I supposed if it skips checking the existence for theme.index then using -t is what you are supposed to do to create a new index theme cache...

So why use it for just doing an update?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Edit: Thanks BrentDC. I was going to try that as a last resort.
Do you know where I can download good Debian icons for my hildon menu? TIA

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
THe man page I looked up online didn't have the -t... Brent just showed the output from CLI.. Must have been a different version I was looking at.

So I supposed if it skips checking the existence for theme.index then using -t is what you are supposed to do to create a new index theme cache...

So why use it for just doing an update?
it seems to me -f and -t basically accomplish the same thing...

Fatalsaint. I don't know the answer to your question because I don't even understand what I'm reading let along doing. I just want to resolve this error and put icons that work and look better than a circle with two birds on all my apps in Hildon menu. LOL

Anymore good QT apps I can load into Easy Debian? I really like the QT apps they are small and robust. Can't wait for TrollTech to start loading us up with them and slick versions of KDE.

Originally Posted by dan View Post
Edit: Thanks BrentDC. I was going to try that as a last resort.
Do you know where I can download good Debian icons for my hildon menu? TIA
I usually use Google Image Search -> "<whatever> logo". I wouldn't consider it a great way to do it, though.

Originally Posted by dan View Post
Anymore good QT apps I can load into Easy Debian? I really like the QT apps they are small and robust. Can't wait for TrollTech to start loading us up with them and slick versions of KDE.
Well if you wanted to start moving away from GTK to QT you could use things like Kopete instead of Pidgin, ksIrc instead of XChat, Amarok, Dragon Player or Juk for Audio, Scribus for Desktop Publishing...

http://trolltech.com/company/customers/coolapps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_KDE_applications

However.. KDE itself is actually one of the bigger, bulkier desktops. IMHO a little more-so than Gnome.. but I have no benchmarks for that.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I don't want to move away I just want more choices. Thanks to you, Qole, PB and many others the Nxx's has more choices than any other portable device. And best of all its configurable to what the user wants not what some dictator at a large company wants. I must have 5 different media players on the maemo side. It really helps because each one plays video/audio better in different formats.

Tags
debian, deblet, easy debian