Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
Well I think you have financial problems. So 200 USD is less than 300 USD. Leaving 100 USD for more important things than a phone.
Yes, but consider this: is $200 worth for an old phone that is probably only worth $100 nowadays?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 318 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
I have a question:
I can buy a Jolla here for USD 200, but some friend offers me a Nexus 5 for USD 300. Specs are really better (you may know it).
Is Sailfish working ok in nexus? Can I use it for development?
I have a Nexus 5 here.

I run SailfishOS 2.0 (Saimaa) on it (as Multirom image). Most of the features are supported.

- Bluetooth is a little bit wonky, specially Bluetooth Audio. When it fails you need to reboot.
- GPS is working but no AGPS
- Battery live is not that good. It drains about 40% per day (24h), when the phone is just in idle state on my table.
- There was a problem with the phone sensors that has somehow been fixed, but that has some influence on screen rotation. Sometimes you have to restart lipstick to get that fixed.
- Otherwise it is certainly a cool device for development!
- There are some people using it as daily driver as far as I read, but I would not recommend that right now.

Last edited by minimec; 2016-01-19 at 19:42.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to minimec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
I'm also using the Nexus 5 and can confirm all the bugs above.

My N5 actually cost me half as much as I paid for the Jolla (£110 on eBay from china - had to wait a few weeks but the device is genuine!)

Despite those few bugs listed above, it's a much nicer device to use than the jPhone (although the screen is bigger the phone itself is lighter, better battery, I can run more than 4 apps without having things force close, way faster, better camera). In addition, if Jolla goes under (hopefully not, but possible) I can run Ubuntu Touch or any other OS that uses libhybris on it.

Worth checking if you can get one cheaper on eBay, though I appreciate it might not work out to be cheaper due to import taxes etc.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Yes, but consider this: is $200 worth for an old phone that is probably only worth $100 nowadays?
During development, It is very important to have the same hardware (screen resolution, etc) and software version with respect to the majority of users.

So I suggest to take Jolla smartphone to be used for development.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2016-01-20 at 02:39. Reason: Typo

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
During development, It is very important to have the same hardware (screen resolution, etc) and software version with respect the majority of users.

So I suggest to take Jolla smartphone to be used for development.
Nexus 5 runs the same version of Sailfish as jPhone now. Hardware is different, but everything on top of hybris is the same!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Nexus 5 runs the same version of Sailfish as jPhone now. Hardware is different, but everything on top of hybris is the same!
no dalvik though

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,023 | Thanked: 4,421 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Argentina
Just some pints from my side:
- I don't use bluetooth, never.
- I use GPS, but not in jolla (it doesn't support 3g here, so it's useless)
- I use some androir app, but I can live without them
- Battery life is important

Screen size for develpment doesn't care since QML doesn't use pixels for resizing, so it should be the same.
CallBlocker for Harmattan

Support my work:
Paypal / Bitcoin

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CepiPerez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
no dalvik though
Good point, I forgot about that because I've never used Dalvik.

But, if you're going to develop for Sailfish, you develop for sailfish, not android

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 376 | Thanked: 257 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
But, if you're going to develop for Sailfish, you develop for sailfish, not android
And please Matias, do the improvement for MeeGo also.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to setter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by CepiPerez View Post
Screen size for develpment doesn't care since QML doesn't use pixels for resizing, so it should be the same.
Sailfish OS on Nexus 5 looks and works very good. I am using it as my primary phone. I don't need any Android apps (thanks to you for whatsup). If I really have to use an android app for something, I have a dual-boot setup, so I can just boot in Android and do what I need to do, but I haven't had to do it for a long time.

The screen getting unresponsive to touch is the only additional annoying issue. It will take a reboot for it to fix. Some days I end up having to reboot couple times. (I hear there is a solution being worked on, but have not tested it.) I would really hope the bluetooth issue will be fixed soon also, since I would use it.

Overall better performance and 4G connectivity in US makes it a better choice for me than Jolla phone.

You can always test your app in SDK for Jolla resolution and Nexus 5 for higher resolution. I think it will be an additional benefit for buying Nexus 5 for development, so your app will look better on higher resolution phones/tablets(?).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:

Tags
cepiperez, donation, fundraising, we need help