Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
[2013-08-26 01:01:36] <freemangordon> anyway, time to have some sleep. Count me in, when it comes to porting the kernel/Fremantle. night

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Yes! Probably you will be even able to buy just a board and also use the screen from your original N900 (and maybe camera?)
The camera from Carl Zeiss?^^

Is there already a date for the order?

Posts: 310 | Thanked: 202 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ireland
Far more exciting than jolla or ubuntu. Estel can make a sexy body for it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to king Ralphred For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
What kind of merging are you thinking of? Tearing down one wiki and integrate it into the other one? Redirect #openmoko-cdevel IRC channel to #maemo channel?
I don't think we need any merge. Just community members will change their habits a bit, regarding their favourite places to lurk and/or contribute. ;-)

/j
Maybe you are right, there might not be a need to merge as such. It is too soon to ask any questions of the sort I will admit (sorry), until the day that there is a substantial user base with the new maemo on the neo900 this may not be an issue that can't be resolved by changing lurking habits.

Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Wow!! Am I dreaming? I hope I will find again this thread tomorrow when I wake up

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:
You guys really need a kickstarter campain. Make it look really nice (look at the Ubuntu Edge indiegogo campaign) and market it across linux forums, openmoko (what are the openmoko forums?) And this forum, and you could easily get a large amount in Kickstarter. $30,000 maybe?

On another note, where can you buy Openmoko parts? The phone, the GTA04 board, etc.?

Last edited by byteninja2; 2013-08-26 at 00:50.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to byteninja2 For This Useful Post:
when I got it right from Nikolaus, we need minimum 200 preorders to start. We might go via kickstarter, or just use the existing wishlist/preorder machine on gta04.org

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Denmark
I agree on the kickstarter, but they probably arent exactly there yet. However, when they do hit kickstarter level I think they should aim much higher than 30'000. 100K maybe. Get some mass-production going and lower the cost. From my experience and observations, aside from the whole open-source philosophy and life-style, linux users are cheap. So getting the phone made as cheap as realistically possible should be a goal.

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 2,053 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Warsaw, Poland
All we need at this moment is commitment and interest. Only this way Golden Delicious will take their time to actually start the whole thing. Fund rising will come later, if at all (initial batches can be around 200-500 units, then we'll see if it's really worth doing more - I think we can reach 200 without Kickstarter. It may be hard, but still possible). For such batches there's even no need for preordering - as long as Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller (the man behind GTA04 project) is sure that those 200-500 buyers aren't kidding :P He can invest, it's not "we'll take your money and then start trying to deliver" kind of project (but of course preordering is welcomed, as that's the best insurance for someone's commitment )

Personally I do believe it will be worth it This project has big potential. Possibly even beyond current active members of Maemo and Openmoko communities.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dos1 For This Useful Post:
There's only so much we can do about "cheap". The expenses for sourcing the Bill Of Materials is strictly depending on the volume you order. The fixed expense per production run (for prototypes, cert, for setting up and adjusting the fab line etc) is also not anything we can substantially juggle with. Also see dos1's first post in this thread. The list of prices per board versus number of items built, it applies for Neo900 as well as for GTA04, maybe it's even 100 bucks higher for Neo900. The more of you preorder, the cheaper it gets. So it's up to you how much the device will cost in the end ;-D

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!