Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
In my opinon a very clever move from BlackBerry to use and support Qt and qml. The biggest problem of RIM is currently the lack of applications and developers.

Nokia had pranked the majority of their Qt developers and contributors. If BB provides now good support and a new home for all former Symbian / maemo / MeeGo Harmattan developers I'm sure BB will get soon a fast growing AppStore. A very important argument those days.

I hope I can attend the BB Jam event in Berlin, germany. It is about 8 hours away for me, but I hope it is worth the trip.
QNX is not Linux, it sounds to me very closed and there is no terminal. But my N950 will not least forever and currently the BB10 UI looks so familar to MeeGo Harmattan that it is worth to have a detailed look at it. At least I will try to port my MeeGo stuff to BB10 as soon as I get a device in my hands!

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by helex View Post
QNX is not Linux, it sounds to me very closed and there is no terminal. But my N950 will not least forever and currently the BB10 UI looks so familar to MeeGo Harmattan that it is worth to have a detailed look at it. At least I will try to port my MeeGo stuff to BB10 as soon as I get a device in my hands!
It may have a Python interactive prompt it seems. BB10 here we go.

http://peterhansen.ca/blog/bb10-pyth...interface.html

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Mmmh... I like what I see. Good find. Thanks!

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
It may have a Python interactive prompt it seems. BB10 here we go.

http://peterhansen.ca/blog/bb10-pyth...interface.html

Interesting, very interesting.

this could be good for meego? Compatibily apps with n9???

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
Originally Posted by helex View Post
QNX is not Linux, it sounds to me very closed and there is no terminal.
Can't speak for BB10 itself, but you can enable an SSH server on the Blackberry Playbook (which is running QNX too).

It was super easy to port my Qt app to the Playbook (Qt/QML), and I'd expect it to be even easier with BB10 now that Qt on QNX is maturing a bit (and the release of the new SDK). If they play their cards right, they can have a whole lot of Qt apps available in their store very quickly.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Does RIM plan to provide their own version of Qt quick component to facilitate porting? Or any mapper to map Qt quick component to relevant Cascade component?

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Has anyone else noticed how RIM appear to be taking all of the best bits from the other OS's and bundling them together or just me?
Why should we be concerned?
It's only good, since the Harmattan is close sourced in the UI so that we cannot develop on top of it, and Nokia has basically axed its development (more or less, we'll see), I don't se a reason why RIM shouldn't use this innovation (=copy) and use it in their new OS.

If you behave like a stupid then the outcome is just a consequence of your bad behavior.

Originally Posted by Slocan View Post
Can't speak for BB10 itself, but you can enable an SSH server on the Blackberry Playbook (which is running QNX too).

It was super easy to port my Qt app to the Playbook (Qt/QML), and I'd expect it to be even easier with BB10 now that Qt on QNX is maturing a bit (and the release of the new SDK). If they play their cards right, they can have a whole lot of Qt apps available in their store very quickly.
Yes, porting was easy, but I had a lot of problems to puplish it on their store without the needed hardware to do the testing.

Anyway! RIM sent out my new BlackBerry Playbook today. Yay!

It has left Loveland, Ohio (USA) early this morning and is now on his long trip to germany. I guess it would have been a lot cheaper to sent me 189€ to buy it myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Once it hits iOS, QT could become new C, forget each ARM introducing its own problems, mobile world will become "C89" compatible in form other than java (which isn't, btw thanks to Nokia)...
Just kidding, manufacturers have investment in backwards incompatibilising drivers/hardware