Active Topics

Poll: What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM
Poll Options
What is your opinion about the migration to Moblin/RPM

Originally Posted by titan View Post
FYI: the discussion on meego-dev has shifted from rpm vs. deb to
MeeGo based on some upstream distribution vs
MeeGo as a new, incompatible distribution (current plan)
http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ry/thread.html
What would be the advantage of starting a distribution from scratch?

On the negative side I see that meego will loose on some areas:

1) The amount of knowledge that can be harvested from the existing forums,wikis. Using, let's say, distribution X as starting point, one can figure out what to do to fix or adapt things in a new derived distribution.

2) Tested and packaged software (specially, ARMel and all others that are not x86 compatible). yes, sometimes you must recompile and repackage, but it is easier when there is already a working software that expects more or less the same libraries to work.

3) As it was already pointed out on the dev-list at meego, if a new distribution follows closely the structure of a base one, it makes it easier to just use prepackaged software as much as possible. It might be the case of automatically rebuilding common packages, for instance. Now, since it is a new distribution, it will be harder to do that, because things will probably be placed on different places with different configuration options and so on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Maybe you've read my post completly or not but basically I had nothing but issues with Yast so don't ever want to see it again.

apt/dpkg/slapt hasn't broken on me yet thus far. Yast... installed a new system, ran yast once... could never run it again and kept getting weild errors.
I have an opposite experience. Never had a problem with YaST but constant problems with apt/dpkg.

You are joking? Right? Right???

HAM is the one piece of software that should be COMPLETLY removed. It brings nothing to the table. Replace it with a normal apt frontend. Then we are talking.
I don't argue here - if we have a better GUI - use it. But I don't know any GUI installer on N900 beyond HAM. Synaptic? I don't see it's port to N900...

And the whole point of my previous post was:

If I want it I should be able to run the device using a slackware like approach or a source mage like approach or any other distro I might care for. I shoud be able to get to a plain console and do what I want there. And so on.
Me vote for this too

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
For me .deb and .rpm are the same thing, a glorified tar-ball.
Sure i prefer rpm because I've built so many of the damned things, but it only took me about 15minutes to build my first .deb
If you really want to you can use deb on fedora and probably rpm on debian (shudders at the thought of either!)

The Following User Says Thank You to deadmalc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
What would be the advantage of starting a distribution from scratch?
some of their arguments are:

* who needs a large software pool? who needs "bind" on a smartphone?
* to build highly optimized packages, not desktop oriented ones
* straight ports without UI adaptation are not finger-friendly and therefore useless
* to strip out unneeded components
* less packages means less problems/bugs,
leaving out packages cuts a lot of security work
* ARM fixes should go to upstream anyway
* MeeGo has lots of paid developers who could do the porting
* some small distributions are much more efficient than the large ones
* being compatible involves a lot of work
* Maemo users and developers will adapt anyway
* Moblin has been doing it its own way and will continue to do so
* who cares?

Last edited by titan; 2010-02-17 at 19:57. Reason: more arguments

The Following User Says Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Let me summaries my position:

RPM vs DEB - I read the whole thread and I want to say that it is not packaging format but the paradigm behind of it.

DEB allows many tricks ==> developers use it ==> end customer has problems with it.

RPM more weak at tricky points and developers are required to follow it and because of that some debian-based problems disappears. For exam, because less sophisticated dependency management the LIBRARIES are distributed with more attention and there is less problem with interdependencies. Nobody would create a situation like existence of libqt4-core with libqt4-maemo-core which (I believe) are mostly some derivate versions.

On other side - GUI vs command line tools:

I used 'configure/make/make install' many years. Couple of years I was forced to use YaST2 (because of SuSE - changed a workplace). I never had any problem with YaST2, and I noted that dependency handling in YaST2 is pretty user-friendly. It lists all packages which it will install in advance and in friendly manner you can chose that to do. The same is for conflicts and you have a good chance to explore dependency.

Command line tools never give that kind of pleasure.

Finally, specific words about apt/dpkg packages. Last time then I saw that kind of half-cooked applications was around 15years ago. I was choked then I got messages about DELETING of some packages then I just tried to DOWNLOAD it from repository. And it also tries ask my confirmation about it! (and silently and happily just forget about positive answer after completing download... but you never sure until it finishes)

And this is not only one - try to construct a command to download only ONE package from repository. Try to download a SPECIFIC version of some package having some newer version (yes, it is possible but it reminds me an ASSEMBLER programming... I know, I know, the real programmers never use Pascal...)

Originally Posted by titan View Post
* Maemo users and developers will adapt anyway
At this point I'd like to see some long term plans and commitments...

Let's stop these constant REVOLUTIONS and stick to some OS, ui toolkit, etc and start the EVOLUTION!

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Nobody would create a situation like existence of libqt4-core with libqt4-maemo-core which (I believe) are mostly some derivate versions.
The libqt4-(maemo5) dependency fiasco has nothing to do with apt, deb or sorts (deb based distros have zero problems upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6). In Maemo's case it's just a hack that is there to satisfy certain Nokia policies. If it was RPM, it would be just as bad.

Otherwise, you're just saying you're more used to RPM based tools, nothing inherently inferior (we have synaptic if you're afraid of the command line, and appending =version on the end is not exactly rocekt science either

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
Let's stop these constant REVOLUTIONS and stick to some OS, ui toolkit, etc and start the EVOLUTION!
That's, unfortunately, not the Linux way. Rather than EVOLUTION the answer is often DISTRIBUTION. Then when two groups have to merge, all divergent choices need to be resolved, not always in the way that all parties would want.

Don't think of it as an obstacle, think of it as an opportunity. At least that's what the inspirational poster I see at work says. Yeah, I don't believe it either.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The libqt4-(maemo5) dependency fiasco has nothing to do with apt, deb or sorts (deb based distros have zero problems upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6). In Maemo's case it's just a hack that is there to satisfy certain Nokia policies. If it was RPM, it would be just as bad.
Yes and no: in case of RPM there is a chance that Nokia choses a different policy. Because of restrictive RPMs

Otherwise, you're just saying you're more used to RPM based tools, nothing inherently inferior (we have synaptic if you're afraid of the command line, and appending =version on the end is not exactly rocekt science either
Sorry, but (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/synaptic/) -

"This project has not released any files."

Let's go back to ground.

Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
Y
Sorry, but (https://garage.maemo.org/projects/synaptic/) -

"This project has not released any files."

Let's go back to ground.
But wait:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/yast2

Invalid Project

Ahh darn. No GUI for RPM either?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
rabble-rousing, rpm vs. deb war, rpmligion vs debligion, vote attila77