Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
The only drawback with a separate moblin vbulletin is that there isn't one. Moblin peoples haven't communicated in this way (by choice?) so expecting them to suddenly start doing so might be a challenge.
Moblin is about at a 770-level community and there was plenty of traffic on itT to support a forum at that time, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Most Nokia people don't use Talk now, either, but it's not the end of the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This is not only about the Maemo and Moblin communities. There is plenty of people now interested in MeeGo that were not in any of these two communities before.

But anyway.

Reggie, are you aware of how things look like with single sign-on vBulletin-Drupal?

GeneralAntilles (or whoever disliking Drupa forums) can you get into details about what is bad? "Not a fan" doesn't really help making evaluations.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
But are we going to need those features there? Karma, thanks, and all that... how is the MeeGo community going to function?
Yes, I'd like to see them there.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
3. Rename talk.maemo.org --> talk.meego.com. There might be some legal problems moving accounts with private data under another domain (no idea). Another problem, perhaps bigger, is to move all this crew there, leaving nothing for those not interested in 'MeeGo' (from strict N900 users not that interested in platform etc to people with a strong opinion about MeeGo for some reason, OS2008 users, etc).
I would go this way, or an empty vBulleting. Moving this forum over would have the benefit that we already have a nice community over here, so there wouldn't be need to build one from scratch.

Using a Drupal module doesn't sound like a good idea, just like using a Midgard module wouldn't have made much sense for maemo.org. Generally a specialized forum application is better in every way than something developed as a minor part of a CMS. I'm pretty sure we already learned that with Maemo's Wiki

The new forum would need properly labeled areas for Maemo and Moblin things to discuss the older platform releases, as well as new ones for MeeGo (and the different UX versions).

Besides, we already have some experiences with rebranding this forum, from the ITT -> TMO change...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
1. Empty Drupal in the lines of http://drupal.org/forum (meego.com sits on a Drupal CMS so this is the easiest solution).
Seems like the best option. Open source infrastructure, gets automatic single sign-on with the rest of meego.com, and avoids the inevitable friction that would result from another renaming.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Reggie, are you aware of how things look like with single sign-on vBulletin-Drupal?
We're discussing the decision to go with Drupal for the primary CMS as we speak, actually. . . .

GeneralAntilles (or whoever disliking Drupa forums) can you get into details about what is bad? "Not a fan" doesn't really help making evaluations.
Lack of features compared to vBulletin, obnoxious to use browsing and posting interface and the sort. It's had issues dealing with heavy loads on a couple of sites I've been a user on and it was really a pain to setup and administer for others I've tried to run it on (admittedly this was a long time ago now, but still).

Besides, other than being open source, why would we prefer Drupal?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
This is not only about the Maemo and Moblin communities. There is plenty of people now interested in MeeGo that were not in any of these two communities before.
Question is, will they be integrated in "our" community like the new n900 owners have been here or is the MeeGo community going be something different and function in other ways than Maemo's or Moblin's.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
But are we going to need those features there? Karma, thanks, and all that... how is the MeeGo community going to function?
I hope MeeGo will have similar community involvement infrastructure as we now have for maemo.org, or better. And Karma is a pretty important part of that.

This can be accomplished either by moving existing Midgard-based services over to meego.com infrastructure and integrating them with the MeeGo visuals and Drupal accounts, or by porting the functionality over to Drupal. Either way works, though the Midgard stuff is something we have now and know that works in the Maemo scale

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I would go this way, or an empty vBulleting. Moving this forum over would have the benefit that we already have a nice community over here, so there wouldn't be need to build one from scratch.
Should we wait for an invitation from over there (or has there been one already I don't know about)? Think of the situation from Meego/Moblin point of view

The new forum would need properly labeled areas for Maemo and Moblin things to discuss the older platform releases, as well as new ones for MeeGo (and the different UX versions).
yes

Besides, we already have some experiences with rebranding this forum, from the ITT -> TMO change...
I hope people are not going to repeat the same mistake. Please, let us get a decision from the community at large before rebranding or moving the whole forum.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Is there a possibility to "link" to the same vBulletin from many sites? What I'm imagining is that talk.meego.com and talk.maemo.org share some portions, for example Community, Platform and Development. talk.meego.org forum would only show these and possibly some more MeeGo related sections, while talk.maemo.org would have what it has now.

You could participate in the discussion in the (example) three shared sections from both sites and keep the device/Nokia specific discussions here. That would provide continuity here and get things started at talk.meego.org. In my opinion it might not be a great idea to just dump everything to a one big mess in talk.meego.com. I also don't think it's a good idea to keep two separate community sections.

This just off the top of my head, have no idea if it's feasible at all?

The Following User Says Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, maemo.org, meego