Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
you know, Texrat, that is the point that really buggers me. The way the market is changed is not to the benefit of the consumers.

Unfortunately most people fail to realize that
I'm not picking on you, nor trying to start a fight. I'm really not.

But I personally fail to see what's so wonderful about Ovi or the N900 ecosystem as a whole at the moment. So what's so great about it?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But I personally fail to see what's so wonderful about Ovi or the N900 ecosystem as a whole at the moment. So what's so great about it?
I'll answer not for Corwin but in general: no one is banking on the moment. Nokia and others well understand that the ecosystem still has a while to gain viability. Problem is, if the Apples and Facebooks of the world have their way, it will never happen-- to our eventual detriment.

they had 3 years to revamp an already established OS, in which other NEWER competitors have managed to create OS's (android, WebOS).

What the hell are Nokia doing?

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@texrat: if/when opensource mobile catches on, then people will just jumpboat to it? what's stopping them from doing that?

ps: please note that I wasn't implying that opensource isn't moving forward. As with the desktop market, it's a moving target. Commercial interests will most likely always a step ahead (in terms of gaining/holding onto marketshare) due to many factors.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@texrat: if/when opensource mobile catches on, then people will just jumpboat to it? what's stopping them from doing that?
I doubt anyone will "just jump". Much more will be required from those trying to drive that, as we can see even now. The seduction of the closed-but-shiny approach has to be overcome.

This isn't a subject we can distill into simple post-by-post exchanges. I'm trying, but I see the futility.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
ysss and gerbick: the point I was making has to do with the ultimate consequences of walled gardens for consumers. Sure, cheap apps and high service are seductive... but ultimately unsustainable as a combined business model. That and reduced choice will eventually wear on even the most ardent supporters of such approaches. As history shows, higher costs to consumers will be the ultimate outcome.
like alternative fuels (open to whatever you want to do) vs gasoline (regulated, controled, readily available anywhere, prices are controlled and screw us all)

Perfect analogy roger_27! Wish I'd thought of it.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Perfect analogy roger_27! Wish I'd thought of it.
When in doubt, use a car analogy.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'll answer not for Corwin but in general: no one is banking on the moment. Nokia and others well understand that the ecosystem still has a while to gain viability. Problem is, if the Apples and Facebooks of the world have their way, it will never happen-- to our eventual detriment.
And that's the problem. As it stands, no alternative that really seems to be forward thinking and concrete has come from this "experiment" called Maemo quite yet. Nothing has solidified yet.

Ovi is going down a path - to the untrained eye, such as my own - of micropayments ($1 apps) and a store front and pretty darn much the same as the other systems that are much maligned around here surely but slowly.

This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far. An odd upgrade path that's not fully laid out by corporate (yet), a total lack of apps that improve upon functionality, developers waiting to hear if their apps will be ok in the next iteration fully, already installed apps not updated, et al.

If that's freedom, it stinks. Being able to pop open terminal, gain root on a tacked on phone experience on a tablet isn't freedom. It's being part of an experiment. One that if you have certain wants (like using the forward camera for Skype), needs (like syncing to a Mac) or desires (PR 1.2) then... you're probably upset, disgruntled or disenfranchised.

If I want to code Python on the go though... maaaaaaaaaaan I'd be in love. But I'm not part of that group - I do that on my laptop already. I want the aforesaid things... and won't get it despite being so "free" to do so/get it. Hasn't happened yet.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This whole "walled garden" hatred has honestly produced nothing when all of this freedom has been given on the N900. Absolutely nothing so far. An odd upgrade path that's not fully laid out by corporate (yet), a total lack of apps that improve upon functionality, developers waiting to hear if their apps will be ok in the next iteration fully, already installed apps not updated, et al.

If that's freedom, it stinks. Being able to pop open terminal, gain root on a tacked on phone experience on a tablet isn't freedom. It's being part of an experiment. One that if you have certain wants (like using the forward camera for Skype), needs (like syncing to a Mac) or desires (PR 1.2) then... you're probably upset, disgruntled or disenfranchised.
Gerbick, you're too smart to trivialize the issue like you just did. "Hatred"??? Come on-- that's sophomoric. C-.

I'll gladly debate this subject on objective merits but not THAT.

Tags
fud, fud-ohwait-not, just shoot me, open source