Notices

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
Hi,

I currently have the vast majority of my music collection sitting on an audio server in FLAC format - there is also some other lossy formats along with the usual mp3.

I notice that i can sync my N900 using Banshee on Ubuntu but this transfers the audio file directly onto my N900 as it is.

Is there any software that will sync with my N900 and convert the files to OGG or MP3 as it does so?

I have no need for massive FLAC files on my phone.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Yes, Mediamonkey will do teh above. You can set the N900 as a generic USB or WDM device. It works well unless you use WMA in which case the N900 does not see the track order for albums so all the track are listed alphabetically

Mediamonley also lets you decide at what point you want to limit the music at and you can do this by file type. I have mine set so that all the music transferred at over 192kbs is converted to 192 VBR MP3s. Anything under 192 is left as is. It can take a few hours when syncing, depending on how many tracks, but I sync to the micrsd card in a card reader so I do not have to have my N900 teathered to the PC whilst the sync takes place.

I considered all other options but none would do the conversion on the fly.

The other alternative was to re-rip my collection at a lower bit rate and save it elsewhere just for the N900, not what i wanted.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
thanks. That sounds perfect.

Only one problem... i use Ubuntu on the PC on which all my music is stored.

My main PC is windows/linux dual boot so i guess i could use that but i'd need to do it over a wireless network.

Time to give it a try i guess.

Thank you.

i just thought... both drive on my media pc are formatted in ext4 and last time i checked there was no way to get windows to read ext4. damn!