Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
On the other hand if the LVM2 + thin pool + EXT4/XFS combo was used instead of btrfs,
you would get much of the benefits of btrfs (COW snapshots, space allocation from a pool, etc.)
and you could just easily create a new logical volume in the volume group and use that for swap.
I wonder *how bad* loop mount performance is for swap?

Haven't read much of this thread (sorry, busy ) but the impression I got was that most of the people complaining about app-killing accept that massive slowdowns / 'thrashing' is the only alternative.

As long as it's still moving fast enough to take remedial action and free up some RAM...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
What happened to the 'LPM'/Glance Screen on Sailfish OS 2.0? Is this feature still working if you activate(d) it via terminal?
Seems to be working fine - shows time, date, day of the week and notifications. btw, seems also TOHKBD is working in Android

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
btw, seems also TOHKBD is working in Android
it does work already in current official release...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
I wonder *how bad* loop mount performance is for swap?

Haven't read much of this thread (sorry, busy ) but the impression I got was that most of the people complaining about app-killing accept that massive slowdowns / 'thrashing' is the only alternative.

As long as it's still moving fast enough to take remedial action and free up some RAM...
Forget about swap on flash media, whether it be on raw disk partition or on top of filesystem...
Swap on flash is a BAD IDEA and it WILL kill your flash.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
What happened to the 'LPM'/Glance Screen on Sailfish OS 2.0? Is this feature still working if you activate(d) it via terminal?
Glance screen is there!
And i grasped how the unlock fade works.

If the glance screen is activated and you doubletap while the clock is shown, the clock just changes color and the lockscren comes faded in its background.

If you unlock without the glance screen shown, from blank screen, the clock fades in last after the lockscreen has already completely faded in.
That is rather inconvenient and needs to be adjusted to have consistant behaviour and clock shown fast.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Forget about swap on flash media, whether it be on raw disk partition or on top of filesystem...
And so will recording HD video, downloading files/cache from the Internet, logging... and a shitton other stuff that I do daily with the phone.

It's not clear to me why swapping would be a more dangerous activity, since it's mostly sequential, low persistence requirements, and most importantly... it happens rarely, less frequently than all the above combined.

And besides, Jolla already has a swap partition. I'm just considering removing any hardcoded limits to it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Set swappiness to a very low value, and it'll only use it when it has to. Besides which flash is generally nowhere near as fragile as it used to be. I don't know how much that extends to the chips in phones, but I'd be surprised if you could kill it appreciably faster by just having that in place when RAM runs out - the user's likely to avoid that situation because of the system slowing to a crawl more than anything else I'd have thought.

ETA - screw it, put it on an SD card. Yes, it'll be eye-wateringly slow, but it'll (presumably) stop the automatic program closures, and if you manage to fry it you can put a new one in...

Last edited by MikeHG; 2015-09-08 at 21:10.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
And, pray tell, what alternative do you suggest?

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
And, pray tell, what alternative do you suggest?
More memory and no swap?

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
My single biggest issue is the size of the clock when peeking. "1.0" used to show lockscreen clock which was huge and could be seen easily, now the text is really small and hard to read with a layer on top of it

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post: