Active Topics

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Please don't make it too thin or typing will be no joy anymore... TOHKBDs keyboard part was much too thin in my opinion. I got cramps after typing some sentences...

Gesendet von meinem F5121 mit Tapatalk

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
Please don't make it too thin or typing will be no joy anymore... TOHKBDs keyboard part was much too thin in my opinion. I got cramps after typing some sentences...
I don'T think that the TOHKBD is to thin. The problem in my opinion is, that J1 with attached TOHKBD is horrible unbalanced.

And I want a mobile device not a brick. If I need an extra bag to take it with me I will always prefer my ultrabook with a proper OS and a lot of performance.

The J1 with attached TOHKBD is already a monster. despite the fact that it isn't much thicker than the n900. But the N900 is much smaller so the thickness isn't that bad. With a much bigger device the thickness has to be reduced otherwise there is no way to put it in the pocket of your jeans. 12 mm sounds reasonable for me. A 5.5" screen device with 18 mm isn't a device I would buy.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ejjoman View Post
Too thin was one problem. Top heavy was another and IMO bigger. Held together with magnet did not help either.

Each on their own would be manageable. Combined together made me give up using it.

A device designed with a keyboard would avoid at least two of the three.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 114 | Thanked: 409 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Germany
Yes, the whole TOHKBD was way too thick - but in my opinion, the lower part with the keypad was too thin to comfortable hold it the hands and type on it... Just my and my GFs opinion

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ejjoman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 65 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jun 2015 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Too thin was one problem. Top heavy was another and IMO bigger. Held together with magnet did not help either.

Each on their own would be manageable. Combined together made me give up using it.

A device designed with a keyboard would avoid at least two of the three.
same here, at the moment went back to e7 as daily phone since my brother is testing the jolla. the slider mechanism e7/ n97/ n950 is just awesome. there's no need to think further, just make it like that.

so there's what I'd want

- overall lightweight, yet the heavy part with the keboard to stand on it, the light part being the screen
- I've had it sitting on the table and just read, watch. tohkbd can't stand on it's own

Last edited by alfredquack; 2017-08-04 at 21:17.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alfredquack For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 1,007 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Near Munich
Today I got to hold a 5,5 inch phone and sadly its just to huge for my hands. One handed use is difficult and my tests suggest thumb typing will be exhausting for my fingers when reaching for keys in the middle of the keyboard often.

So I will (try too) refrain from buying the device, but I promise, I will donate about 40€ to the campaign, just because its so great that a new keyboard slider with an open OS is created.
That is, if I can hold myself back when the campaign starts, because almost everything else about the device seems to be amazing!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Macros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Today I got to hold a 5,5 inch phone and sadly its just to huge for my hands. One handed use is difficult and my tests suggest thumb typing will be exhausting for my fingers when reaching for keys in the middle of the keyboard often.
I don't have access to any 5.5" phone and I feel too lazy to craft a paper pattern at scale, but that was one of my concerns when Chen said that 5.5" screen allows larger keyboard and keys. It's true, but there surely is a limit to how large a comfortable thumb keyboard can be and. while I do not know if 5.5" is beyond that limit, I know that TOHKBD was already getting a bit wide, and larger is not always better (please don't quote, I did not mean any bad joke). I think I've already posted about it so I'll keep it short here (not this either).

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-08-04 at 21:57.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
As already written, I was also shocked about the 5.5" Screen. But I still hope, that the device isn't much larger than Jolla C. Looking at Chens renderings, it look's like he isn't planning a huge bezel. So making a device in the size of a Jolla C (or only a bit larger) is still possible with a 5.5" inch screen. Maybe Chen can say something about the planned final size of the phone, He already pointed out, that the phone should be around 12 mm thick, so I think he has already an idea about the over all size.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
If you've asked me a few years ago I would have dismissed buying any >4.5 inch screen phone immediately but I have got used to seeing the larger screens. The larger phones already have a significant market share and the trend is still up.
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/ph...e-the-phuture/
I think it will depend on the overall look and thickness how it will be perceived.
On my Pandora that has a 5 inch screen with a large bezel and a lot bulkier than the chenphone will be, I don't have any problem thumb typing for long periods of time so I don't see any issue there. More important will be the weight distribution - keyboard vs screen and that seemed to be the problem with TOHKBD.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
People are also still buying tv's that take up the entire wall of their 5x5 living room en masse, even though they are all terrible (especially at such a short viewing distance). Unfortunately, it seems like to the general public, big = good, bigger = better, huge = great, and anything smaller is obviously going to be of worse quality. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any product in recent history that was released in two editions where all specifications but the size were identical, where the smaller one outsold the bigger one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen