Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The first public beta of the Modest E-mail client has been released today. You can find it at http://modest.garage.maemo.org/

Remember, it's a beta and it probably does not actually replace the built-in e-mail client yet as it will when it will be finished.

Enjoy.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Thanks for this. It is good to see the option of Removable Memory Card. It always seemed daft to have email stored in system memory.

Presently I have to manually move the mails to the Inbox/Sent folder on the Card, maybe in time there can be a Settings option to make this an automatic process, do you think?

Rumored to be the app that will replace the out-of-the-box internet tablet email application, Modest for OS2008 is now out in beta.Modest is a small e-mail program targeting hardware with modest resources, such as low-end PCs and Nokia N800/N810 internet tablets. Modest uses the Tinymail e-mail framework.Modest supports multiple email accounts using POP/IMAP/SMTP and works far better than the current buggy email app. It currently cannot be set as the default email client and menus are only in English as of the moment. Read Jonathan Greene's thoughts on Modest over at MaemoApps. Visit Modest's official dev page.
Read the full article.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Can anyone say whether it fixes the broken quoting of the built-in app?

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I've been using this application for a couple of weeks with gmail imap and it really works quite well. A few issues I have had are failure to startup when clicking a notification of new email where I had to 'kill' modest and then restart it but thats about it. This email program is probably my biggest reason to buy a N810 instead of an E61 or some other full qwerty device for business use.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
Will modest ever be available on OS2007 - it looks great but i have a 770 running OS2007HE?

Originally Posted by jer006 View Post
Will modest ever be available on OS2007 - it looks great but i have a 770 running OS2007HE?
I'll second that question.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
No, I think you'll have to hope for OS2008HE for that.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Finland
Aargh Modest beta is really buggy, almost unusable.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Great news! I'm just afraid my email accounts have grown to fat to be handled by any tablet email client, with Modest choking on folders with tens of thousands of messages.

I guess this means back to Gmail plain html view. It's really funny how HTTP seems to be the better IMAP.

Tags
mail modest