Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
Is a rotating UI planned or not? I don't think it sounds like it is.
Pulling together what's been stated before in this thread:
  • Out of the box, Maemo 5 will only support switching between landscape and portrait for the phone app and for viewing images in, well, the image viewer.
  • Out of the box, previous versions of Maemo haven't had universal portrait support either.
  • Including universal rotation support in Maemo 5 would have delayed the release of the OS by six to twelve months, which wasn't practical.
  • Developers of 3rd party applications can include portrait support if they like, however:
  • Nokia hasn't implemented a general-use input method for portrait mode.
  • One or more portrait mode keyboards could be created by the community, though anything like auto-word-completion, auto-letter-correction, and the like will make that task more difficult than "Here's a keen layout I whipped up in Photoshop."
  • Nokia has hinted that Maemo 6--rumored for release in about a year--will bring universal (or nearly so) screen rotation support.
  • Nokia will need to rewrite many of their applications and the system UI for the shift to Qt in Maemo 6 anyway, which may partially explain why they didn't jump on doing so for Maemo 5.
  • Nokia has hinted that--due to demand--they may consider working on adding portrait support to some applications later, after Maemo 5 ships. Work on prioritizing which bits are most important is taking place in another thread.
  • In the past, the Maemo community has added universal rotation support to previous versions of Maemo through a few different hacks. The result wasn't always pretty or fully usable, but it was popular, and there's no reason to believe there won't be people making it happen again for Maemo 5.

Given all that, would you please break your question down a bit more clearly? It's probably because I'm tired, but I'm unclear on who you want to do more and what you'd like them to do.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-09-22 at 15:33. Reason: typo correction

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Thanks sjgadsby. That is about the single most concise, informative and on-the-point posting I've seen in a long long time.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
[*]In the past, the Maemo community has added universal rotation support to previous versions of Maemo through a few different hacks. The result wasn't always pretty or fully usable, but it was popular, and there's no reason to believe there won't be people making it happen again for Maemo 5.[/LIST].
If this sentence is true i dont see why everyone is complaining so much. I feel the rotation support is quite good on my n810. Of course i cannot use it because of the width of the device and the lack of the portrait OSK. The width has decreased and if the community can write a good OSK in portrait mode along with accelerometer induced screen rotation that would be perfect for me. I can arrange the widgets so that most of the shortcuts and widgets in the desktop will still show irrespective of the view.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
  • One or more portrait mode keyboards could be created by the community, though anything like auto-word-completion, auto-letter-correction, and the like will make that task more difficult than "Here's a keen layout I whipped up in Photoshop."
That task would be less difficult if Nokia would release the source to the Maemo 4 HIM keyboard. They're not using it in Maemo 5, so what could it hurt?

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
That task would be less difficult if Nokia would release the source to the Maemo 4 HIM keyboard. They're not using it in Maemo 5, so what could it hurt?
Something like this: https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/pr...ugins-example/ ?

Discussion around it in https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4178

(Thanks qwerty12 for linking it on irc a few hours ago )

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by frals View Post
Something like this: https://stage.maemo.org/svn/maemo/pr...ugins-example/ ?

Discussion around it in https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4178

(Thanks qwerty12 for linking it on irc a few hours ago )
No, I'm not asking for a port of the example, I'm asking for the source code to the Maemo 4 HIM keyboard. The one with the difficult parts.

EDIT:

I'm guessing it's the one with this section uncommented:
Code:
/*
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_settings_changed          (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             const gchar *key,
                                                             const GConfValue *value);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_language_settings_changed (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             gint index);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_input_mode_changed        (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_keyboard_state_changed    (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_client_widget_changed     (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_character_autocase        (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_clear                     (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_save_data                 (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_mode_a                    (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_mode_b                    (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_language                  (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_backspace                 (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_enter                     (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_tab                       (HildonIMPlugin *plugin);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_fullscreen                (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             gboolean fullscreen);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_select_region             (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             gint start,
                                                             gint end);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_key_event                 (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             GdkEventType type,
                                                             guint state,
                                                             guint keyval,
                                                             guint hardware_keycode);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_transition                (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             gboolean from);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_button_activated          (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             HildonIMButton button,
                                                             gboolean long_press);
static void hildon_im_example_fkb_preedit_committed         (HildonIMPlugin *plugin,
                                                             const gchar *committed_preedit);
*/

Last edited by daperl; 2009-09-22 at 17:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
If there is someone wondering why I have been absent from the forum lately, it is because this thread is seriously discouraging. I really don't want to go around pointing fingers, but now I fully understand why Maemo is not considered ready for mass consumers.

When a user/customer comes around asking for a missing feature you do not:
  • Act in a condescending manner towards his request.
  • Tell him that if he wants it, do it himself. This is the open source way, but if you don't manage the way you say this, the user will feel offended.
  • Diminish the importance of his request in any way.
  • Exit by the tangent (what does MMS has do in this thread at all?)
  • Exchange looks with your peers in evident confusion on what is needed to be done and who should do it.
  • Not be aware of the facts related to the issue before posting about them (btw, thanks for the brief sjgadsby).

What you should do, is:
  • Explain in the simplest way the reason why the feature is not present. Knowledge is power. If the customer can reason with you, he will be in your side.
  • Explain when this feature will be available.
  • If there is no ETA for the feature, then POLITELY explain the reason, again in a simple manner.
  • Then suggest what he can do to make it happen, and that he will be supported in his efforts. Explain that one of the good things of Maemo is precisely that he can make it happen. Empower the user.
  • For the previous to happen, there must be channels and procedures clearly defined and in place.

Let me remark something. This are your users. They are using the stuff you developed. If you don't care about them, they will go away.

Having said that, I would like to volunteer to manage the Portrait Mode Project. However, before jumping on board, I want to have some things very clear:
  • Is Nokia going to make Portrait Mode happen for the desktop and general interface of the device in Maemo 5? Yes or No? If there is no assurance of this, I will assume No. I say desktop and general interface, because apps can already be made to support portrait, and besides, focusing only on apps is like building a house starting by the roof.
  • Is Nokia going to support Portrait Mode if the community makes it happen? By support I mean, in the best case scenario, take over the project once the community completes it and integrate it into default, future builds of Maemo, or in the worst case, avoid to break it with their software updates.
  • What kind of support can the people working on this have from Nokia?

That is all for now.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 805 | Thanked: 440 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Mississauga, On
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
If there is someone wondering why I have been absent from the forum lately, it is because this thread is seriously discouraging. I really don't want to go around pointing fingers, but now I fully understand why Maemo is not considered ready for mass consumers.

When a user/customer comes around asking for a missing feature you do not:
  • Act in a condescending manner towards his request.
  • Tell him that if he wants it, do it himself. This is the open source way, but if you don't manage the way you say this, the user will feel offended.
  • Diminish the importance of his request in any way.
  • Exit by the tangent (what does MMS has do in this thread at all?)
  • Exchange looks with your peers in evident confusion on what is needed to be done and who should do it.
  • Not be aware of the facts related to the issue before posting about them (btw, thanks for the brief sjgadsby).

What you should do, is:
  • Explain in the simplest way the reason why the feature is not present. Knowledge is power. If the customer can reason with you, he will be in your side.
  • Explain when this feature will be available.
  • If there is no ETA for the feature, then POLITELY explain the reason, again in a simple manner.
  • Then suggest what he can do to make it happen, and that he will be supported in his efforts. Explain that one of the good things of Maemo is precisely that he can make it happen. Empower the user.
  • For the previous to happen, there must be channels and procedures clearly defined and in place.

Let me remark something. This are your users. They are using the stuff you developed. If you don't care about them, they will go away.

Having said that, I would like to volunteer to manage the Portrait Mode Project. However, before jumping on board, I want to have some things very clear:
  • Is Nokia going to make Portrait Mode happen for the desktop and general interface of the device in Maemo 5? Yes or No? If there is no assurance of this, I will assume No. I say desktop and general interface, because apps can already be made to support portrait, and besides, focusing only on apps is like building a house starting by the roof.
  • Is Nokia going to support Portrait Mode if the community makes it happen? By support I mean, in the best case scenario, take over the project once the community completes it and integrate it into default, future builds of Maemo, or in the worst case, avoid to break it with their software updates.
  • What kind of support can the people working on this have from Nokia?

That is all for now.
Thank you! I don't know how to develop on this platform at all (all I know is as3), but if I could have done what you just did I would have. How can we go about answering those questions? Is there a direct contact we can harass until we get answers? I want this phone, and I want portrait. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to joshua.maverick For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
Thank you! I don't know how to develop on this platform at all (all I know is as3), but if I could have done what you just did I would have. How can we go about answering those questions? Is there a direct contact we can harass until we get answers? I want this phone, and I want portrait. Thank you.
I guess the ball is on Quim Gil's hands now. Or Ragnar. There is probably a bit more info that will surface or be needed before the real start, but for now, I want to know what exactly we can and we can't do, in order to define the feasibility of this project and its goals.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
Chris, what do you mean by "the UI to rotate"?
Exactly what we were talking to Jussi Makinen about the other day. Pick up an iPhone, N97, 5800 XM, i8910 HD, Touch Pro, or pretty much any slate style device with an accelerometer, and rotate it in your hands. The UI of the entire device will rotate so no matter how you look at it, the text and elements are positioned upright to the eyes.

When you need to hold it sideways, no need to hold your head sideways, because ALL aspects of the device rotate. There may be SOME apps that don't, but 99% do. And should I need to enter some text in portrait mode, either a T9 or portriat QWERTY OSK appears, depending on user preference (I love T9, and get about 38+ wpm using it).

Looks like most NIT users don't use smartphones, which I think can't be possible, but I guess you never know.

Maemo 5 DOES handle rotation. The accelerometer does tell you that.
Not sure if Maemo emits a D-Bus event for that.

Any application can detect it and rotate if they wish so.
Xournal will probably do it.
The accelerometer makes it possible. I know. But when I pick up the device and hold it in portrait, the UI stays in landscape. Most will find this a turn off and a downgrade from any high end phone on the market. What calling device do you use? If its a touchscreen smartphone, it rotates the UI when the phone rotates, not just certain apps, but THE WHOLE ENTIRE PHONE UI!

Now do you understand? The rotation shouldn't be limited to apps, but pervasive throughout the experience, so others can choose the orientation that best suits them, instead of Maemo deciding.

The issue here is that (a part from the Phone application) no other stock application does rotate.
It's just that the code to rotate (i.e. to generate the NEW UI in portrait mode) is not done.
You say that as if you have confirmation that ASR is being implemented by Nokia or someone else to contribute to the OS for universal support. Is this so? Please say yes.

With the responses from the "powers that be" on this site, it looks like Nokia abandoned ASR for Maemo 5 to rush it to market, as if they expect the community to support it. But from my research, the community ASR solution for OS 2008 is buggy as hell for the most part, and putting such a core feature that is part of the experience in the hands of volunteers may not be optimal. For smartphone users wanting ASR (there are many like me) a buggy rotation mechanism will be unacceptable. That is a regularly used feature, and not working affects workflow and productivity.

I think regardless, an OSK for portrait needs to come from Nokia, not individual app designers, so we don't have fragmented portrait data entry methods. Nokia made a point of having consistency in the device keyboards across the portfolio. Why not copy the one in S60? Has anyone here even studied the N97? If we could mash the N97 and N900 together, we'd be...at Maemo 6?! I hope not.

I keep hearing that adding ASR would've delayed the launch by six months. I understand that. I'm used to getting Nokia kit that isn't prime time ready at launch, but I expect it to be down the line. But will ASR be available 6 months later, and if so, will T9 be included? No one will confirm this, not even Jussi when I asked directly, which leads me to believe it won't! And initial desire to add it via the community was met with resistance, which means no one that cares is working on it, because the only people that care are smartphone users, whereas many NIT users keep a dumbphone for tethering only, and don't rely so heavily on a pocketable sized device, preferring the NIT.

NIT users are happy as is, so we need a smartphone user advocate to speak up for the new guys. When I make a suggestion, its like I'm crazy to want to use a device for that, or that isn't the intended purpose. ITS A COMPUTER FIRST, not a tablet or a smartphone! Its supposed to have its intended purpose reinvented for the user's needs. Why aren't our needs meant for the N900?

It looks like Nokia is using the N900 as an hors doeuvres, and will force us to upgrade by not making the N900 what it should've been, like Microsoft did with the netbook licensing. I'm not very confident Maemo 5 will be much more well received than the last iteration here in the US. Bummer. Its just not ready, I have to admit, and I don't think there's a desire to get it to that level.

You must understand that the N900 is not a phone that comes with Internet as we know it.
It's Internet with a Phone capability added. Even more specific, it's an Internet Tablet that can make GSM calls.
Internet Tablets always had the Call feature, now they can do it over GSM as well.
I hear that said all of the time, but I have to admit I think that is a cop out. I mean that. Let me explain by asking this: How is the N900not a phone that comes with internet as we know it? First of all, I've been using Symbian devices for a while, and while Flash 9.4 is alot better than Flash 7, I've used desktop like browsers in a handheld before. I understand the difference between desktop-like and desktop for real, but what quality does the desktop browser experience have that necessitates the device not having a rotating UI? T9 was born to beat the challenge of small form factors being dominated by too many buttons. Portrait browsing was born from being performed in devices of small narrow size designed for one handed usage.This has nothing to do with device power or browser prowess, but convenience, comfort, and efficiency.

And the web is the dominant feature of the N900, but the same can also be said of the N97, yet ASR is present. Soon the N97 will run Fennec. Then what? The simple fact is the only major difference between the N97 and N900 is the developer language support, desktop class app support, and Nokia supported hackery and OS access. I understand the N900's desktop apps will probably only work in landscape, but everything else can and should've been rotating.

The fact Nokia knew it may take 6 months to implement it means it was considered, and since Maemo 6 will have it, it must be useful in the Maemo context. Difference between 5 an 6 shouldn't be revolutionary but evolutionary. The main toolkit will change, and the UI will surely be updated, but the heart and purpose of the devices are still the same. That the N900 hasn't yet lived up to that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't. It means we have 6 months from release to wait, which I'm willing to do if someone with a forward vision has the desire to be a trailblazer for the society. But will the wait be for naught? Nokia seems mum on the ASR deal, and no one will confirm or deny if Nokia plans to implement it in 5.

The landscape mode is a direct heritage of this past. And it is MEANT to be used as such.

Indeed, I didn't want the Phone. It was fine to have a slot for a DATA only SIM card for me but still having a nice 4" screen.

Hopefully I am not missing the point and I am not saying what's already been said.

Anidel
I'm not asking for landscape to be done away with. All I'm asking for is that portrait be supported throughout the UI via ASR. If you like the device in landscape mode, and the device needing two hands is no issue, then ASR won't be a hindrance to you. You don't even have to use the phone at all, nor the 3G data. If the screen is too small, perhaps the N900 isn't for YOU, either. (just saying to make a point.

I've decided the N900 is for me. It has the possibility of being the device I and tens of millions across the world dreamed of, but will Nokia and the community make it that way, or stick to the core NIT users while ignoring the smartphone base that's been dissapointed for 2 years straight but stayed loyal to Nokia's tech vision? We deserved an N900 with the ASR at a later date if necessary, especially since the N97 was so lackluster. Here's the future right here! Give us what is possible, and stop making us wait! (AARGH! Had to have a mini rant there for a second)

ASR will make the N900 more appealing to more people, though, which should be applauded by great developers like yourself, not dismissed because you don't need it. In honesty, most people that have it could get by without it, but it is a useful feature that will draw more users to the platform, meaning more developer support.

But ASR isn't there. OK, fine. But if the only reason it isn't is 6 months, fine, too. But development should've been continued, and expecting to see it after launch via an update shouldn't be too much to ask. The community ASR solutions exhibit the desire to see it on devices, and Nokia not having a plan to do it for the N900 is appalling.

But ignoring the feature as a form of strategy to get us to buy the Maemo 6 device, which it seems to me to be, is short of predatory.

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case