Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Try taking them both out into full sun and see which one is easier to read.

I would do that experiment but
1) I have no iStuff
and 2) being in Boston, i have no sun

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

i love when ppl bash new phones. yes lets compare the crappy android apps and iphone apps that been around 1-4 years prior to maemo 5. dude seriously.....

fm transmitter doesnt work wel sadly enough, ovi store takes a bit to long to open sadly, no ovi connect support. Ive had an Nokia N95 and at the moment that still is a better phone in some parts.. dont get me wrong I do like this phone. I also keep defending it but this is the time for this phone to MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.... nothing more to add..

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Tupss View Post
fm transmitter doesnt work wel sadly enough, ovi store takes a bit to long to open sadly, no ovi connect support. Ive had an Nokia N95 and at the moment that still is a better phone in some parts.. dont get me wrong I do like this phone. I also keep defending it but this is the time for this phone to MAKE IT OR BREAK IT.... nothing more to add..
A few points:
- The FM transmitter seems completely functional to me. How useful it is will depend both on your receiver and your environment; IIRC the transmission power is a regulatory matter for most countries, so if it's too weak, I doubt Nokia can do anything about it.
- What's so great about the Ovi store? Almost all of the current apps are Free (at least in terms of cost) - I don't see why people keep complaining that they can't buy apps :S
- As to your last comment, if you feel so strongly, then suggest things that could be done better, rather than just complaining... I'd be the first to admit it is far from perfect, but I've done what I can (testing, bug reporting, etc) to try to change that.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
- I don't see why people keep complaining that they can't buy apps :S.
That's the one way to make quality of programs better. Right now you can politely ask someone that they added some features kindly to their program, but when you pay for program you can really demand things. On the other hand when you want money from your program it usually really pushes developers to make it better and better and usually there is also competition between programs.

YES. I really want place where i can buy programs and where developers can make money! That will boost things up and make this device more attractive to common users. And I hope that's what everyone here wants because with success this device will get support from Nokia. If it stays only in niche market prepare yourself for community hacks/kernels and nokia leaving this behind :| Probably there is some short sighted people who really want to stay in marginal market.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
you beat me to it slender.

i would be happy to pay for quality apps.

the sooner we get the store in place the better for everyone.

Originally Posted by slender View Post
That's the one way to make quality of programs better. Right now you can politely ask someone that they added some features kindly to their program, but when you pay for program you can really demand things. On the other hand when you want money from your program it usually really pushes developers to make it better and better and usually there is also competition between programs.

YES. I really want place where i can buy programs and where developers can make money! That will boost things up and make this device more attractive to common users. And I hope that's what everyone here wants because with success this device will get support from Nokia. If it stays only in niche market prepare yourself for community hacks/kernels and nokia leaving this behind :| Probably there is some short sighted people who really want to stay in marginal market.
Thank you for that... i just want this phone to be a succes just like a N95... dont want it to end up like an n97.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I take your point, and I'll grant you that there is a place for that. I'm not against paying for software (although as a student, I certainly am glad I haven't had to in years), but I guess I mistook the intent of that statement. I'm not a rabid FOSS evangelist who thinks that proprietary apps are evil, but I do believe that the kind of ecosystem and community Open Source can create is a Good Thing (TM). I personally hope that large amounts of Maemo software continues to be Open Source, so that that sort of environment persists. Also, commercial vendors often push for DRM, and while the Maemo 6 development proposes an interesting solution in that regard, I worry about how it might go.

One other point to make about your comments... I would agree that sometimes (although certainly not in general) Open Source apps can be of lower quality or functionality than comparable proprietary apps, especially the more specialized ones. Where I think you're wrong, however, is in your next statement. With proprietary apps, you're at the mercy of the vendor, who usually couldn't care less about what you want unless it will make them more money. With Open Source, anyone with the requisite knowledge can take a crack at it. No, they're not obliged to do what you want, but neither are commercial vendors - however, you're free to do it yourself or find someone else who can. I'm not saying this is always an option, but at least it's possible. For another thing, an app being Open Source doesn't stop you from paying for it. If you think money is a good motivator, then by all means, donate to the developers, or offer a bounty for a certain feature. I'm sure they'll appreciate it, and it might just get you what you want.

....wow that was Off-topic. Sorry :S

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
That wasn't off topic any more than the previous few posts were, and the OP wasn't exactly a paragon of structured and focused thought.

If we're going to revenue-ize maemo (and i consider that very unlikely) i think a bounty system would be the most useful--and a culture where people who like the free apps contribute towards others from the community, rather than from independent developers. For example, much free software can be directly ported to Maemo, and many volunteers are doing that. The same people might also be working on their own, in-house (heh) projects.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Hm. The issue I've had with brightness, right from the start, is that's the settings aren't fine-grained enough. I usually have it at 4, which is too dark, but 5 is way too bright.
Same here.My N900 is on two days.
Difference between 4 and 5 is huge.
I have it on 5 (looks normal), because 4 is too dark.

Tags
bright, brightness, complaint, dim, display, fremantle, lcd, maemo, maemo 5, n900, screen, too dark